Finally rewired my wiring closet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally rewired my wiring closet

I'm not showing a BEFORE pic - it was just too horrible to post and might scare away young children...

I went back to the drawing board and punched everything down to a 48-port keystone patch panel. Took forever to do, but with the holiday weekend I had the time.
    I even went so far to order some 8in and 12in patch cables beforehand to get everything somewhat clean looking and organized.
    I found someone online to 3D print some Raspberry Pi rack mount trays. All my RPis, including HomeSeer are now on pullout trays for easy access. It holds up to 6 Rpi units.
    Older Pi units are powered from a USB hub, Pi4 are PoE powered.
    I moved my PDU to the bottom and that gave me a lot of space by using short power cables and running everything along the bottom of the case.
    There is a red "internet reboot" at the bottom that the family can use to restart the internet if needed.

Lessons learned: I might go with 2 separate 24-port keystone panels and put the Unifi Switch between them. It might be a little cleaner going that route.
    Definitely punch everything down. I even punched down my USG router. I didnt punch down the Cloud Key at the very top since it is going away and will be replaced with a RPi.
    I didnt comb the cables coming in - I wish I had done that for aesthetics.

The entire rack draws around 120w, a little more at night when the cameras turn on the IR lighting. I'm going to set it up with DeviceHistory soon.

Anyway, here are some pics. I'm not a hardware guy, but I spent a lot of time with our techs from work who gave some great pointers on how to do this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot1.jpeg
Views:	421
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1437399

Name:	screenshot2.jpeg
Views:	345
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1437400
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Nice!

Comment

So, not a fan of the RPI I see...
      Are all of your HS interfaces wireless/LAN? I don't see anything connected USB.

Nice setup!

Comment

nice work! makes me want to clean up my rack and show it off....
        HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
        Number of Devices: 1005
        Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Originally posted by damiene77 View Post
          So, not a fan of the RPI I see...
          Are all of your HS interfaces wireless/LAN? I don't see anything connected USB.

Nice setup!
          The only interfaces I have is an external Z-Net (not pictured) which is also a Pi, and my alarm panel which is ethernet.

I sold my edgeport/8 earlier this year since I didnt have any serial interfaces.

I do have some more Pis that are not pictured. I have one out by the pool that I want to use to monitor pool water, but that is going to be a monumental task. Right now, it only does water temperature. It reports back wirelessly.

Comment

My time to show off
            1. Replaced my 7U cabinet with a 12U cabinet
            2. Replaced legacy Cat 6 cables (only 2)
            3. Replaced patch panel with keystone version
            4. Added and additional keystone patch panel
            5. Color coded RJ45 cables (purple = PoE, red = UPS, etc...)
            6. Cable identification (to be done for the whole cables)
            7. Cable binding per group (1x 4; 1x9 and 1x9)
            8. Cables extended for maintenance

Name:	Cabinet.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1446810

Name:	Cable inlet.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1446808

Name:	Cable.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1446809
            ---
            John

Comment

Nicely done!

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                Nicely done!
                Later this year I will do my second cabinet.

---
                John

Comment

Very nice John!!!

- Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                    I'm not showing a BEFORE pic - it was just too horrible to post and might scare away young children...

I went back to the drawing board and punched everything down to a 48-port keystone patch panel. Took forever to do, but with the holiday weekend I had the time.
                    I even went so far to order some 8in and 12in patch cables beforehand to get everything somewhat clean looking and organized.
                    I found someone online to 3D print some Raspberry Pi rack mount trays. All my RPis, including HomeSeer are now on pullout trays for easy access. It holds up to 6 Rpi units.
                    Older Pi units are powered from a USB hub, Pi4 are PoE powered.
                    I moved my PDU to the bottom and that gave me a lot of space by using short power cables and running everything along the bottom of the case.
                    There is a red "internet reboot" at the bottom that the family can use to restart the internet if needed.

Lessons learned: I might go with 2 separate 24-port keystone panels and put the Unifi Switch between them. It might be a little cleaner going that route.
                    Definitely punch everything down. I even punched down my USG router. I didnt punch down the Cloud Key at the very top since it is going away and will be replaced with a RPi.
                    I didnt comb the cables coming in - I wish I had done that for aesthetics.

The entire rack draws around 120w, a little more at night when the cameras turn on the IR lighting. I'm going to set it up with DeviceHistory soon.

Anyway, here are some pics. I'm not a hardware guy, but I spent a lot of time with our techs from work who gave some great pointers on how to do this:

Name:	screenshot1.jpeg
Views:	421
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1437399

Name:	screenshot2.jpeg
Views:	345
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1437400
                    Why did you not put your PDU on the rails in the rear of the cabinet?

---
                    John

Comment

I like the Pie Hole reference Looks good.
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by John245 View Post

Why did you not put your PDU on the rails in the rear of the cabinet?

---
                        John
                        Mostly for ease of access from the front. The back doesnt have individual switches for control. The entire cabinet is hinged, but it's easier from the front.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                          I like the Pie Hole reference Looks good.
                          https://pi-hole.net/

Comment

Here is my wiring closet! And it has the benefit of being Christmas all year long!
                            All on the wall and large wooden table are the servers, process controllers, security systems, AV distribution, etc.
                            The white tables are current projects in process (replacing old HAI OmniPro with latest version, bread-boarding it now.

Name:	IMG_7021.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	1447085
                            LOL

My Christmas board!

Name:	IMG_7020.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	1447086

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                              Here is my wiring closet! And it has the benefit of being Christmas all year long!
                              All on the wall and large wooden table are the servers, process controllers, security systems, AV distribution, etc.
                              The white tables are current projects in process (replacing old HAI OmniPro with latest version, bread-boarding it now.

OMG George - you win!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X