Ceiling fan. AC or DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ceiling fan. AC or DC

I'm finally going to install a ceiling fan in our master bedroom. I have to go into the attic to install the box and run power to it as my house only has bedside lights. Ideally, I'd like to control it via HS as I do have temperature monitoring already. What I'm trying to decide is whether or not to go with an AC fan or a DC fan.
    I see the Inovelli has a nice ZWave Ceiling Fan Controller + Smart Light Switch which would work for AC type fans, but what are the options to control a DC fan?
    I also believe that DC fans are quieter, smaller and use less energy. The downside is the cost is higher than AC fans. Trying to weigh one over the other.
    What are you folks using for ceiling fans with control via HS?

Robert
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

I use Minka DC Fans. They are noticeably more energy efficient. We have about 10 fans in the house, so DC does matter.

I do wire in a z-wave on/off switch to provide power to the fan / wall remote. Thus, when I shut the switch, it cuts power to the fan / wall remote. Yes, that adds another switch to the mix. I use the HomeSeer HS-WS200+ Z-Wave Plus Scene-Capable RGB Smart Switches for this purpose. But, I prefer the wall remotes over their handheld ones. These fans, do work with our Bond Home controller which I rarely interact with, but do occasionally.. I have not tried using the Bond Home Plugin as I really don't need it. If it was free, I'd probably try it out. But, since we generally set our fans to a particular speed and then just use the main power switch for on/off, there is no real problem I am trying to solve for.

And, using the HS-WS200+ gives me a great scene controller for every room to control All On, All Off, Table Lamps On, Table Lamps Off, etc. By the way, I have about 14 rooms wired this way. And, all the rooms works the same way with the wall controller / fans. This makes it easy to explain to anyone at the house.

Comment

I also put in a Minka DC fan. I only have one ceiling fan, in the bedroom. The DC fan is silent. It has 6 speeds, plus the remote can reverse the flow if needed. I haven't incorporated it into HS, but would use Bond and the plugin if I would. I only use the remote to control it. Our fan has a light, but it dims/brightens by holding down the light button. I rarely adjust the light level. I highly recommend the fan.

Comment

So I wrote about being unable to integrate my kichler dc fan into homeseer but I looked into bond mentioned above and it looks like it should work. I don't know how that didn't come up when i was searching before. Anyways I'm going to check it out.

As far as DC fans go, I really like mine. If bond works good, then I'm definately happy with my fan, as I was disappointed it was difficult to integrate.

Comment

Thank you for all your feedback. I didn't know anything about the Bond bridge or plugin.

Learn something new every day...
          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I didn't even know DC fans exist. We have Hunter Douglas fans and they are controlled via the RFXCOM plugin which requires an RF transmitter. The biggest disadvantage is that the fan doesn't report it's status back to HS. It's basically a one-way communication. There is also some issue with the light. But all in all it does what we want it to do, i.e. we can tell Alexa to turn on the fan, set it to one of the 3 speed levels, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X