No announcement yet.

Generators & Keeping Your Home Going

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my case I have frequent outages. I have 8 KWH Generac to provide essential power for well, furnace, septic, fireplace, some kitchen circuits and the electronics hub. I do not monitor the generator. I just have daily backups to protect whatever may need attention after a power outage. While elegant means could be used, I would be in the cycle of understanding why expected behavior did not occur. In my case, it happens, deal with it after it happened. It is not something I want to have automated.

Comment

Michael McSharry what generator are you using? And how are you tying this into your electrical system? Does it cause any issues once electricity comes back on and your generator is still running? Based on all the feedback I think I will go with something like what you are doing.

Comment

I have a Stanby Generac 8K unit model 0062370 circa 2005 powered by Briggs Stratton engine. It is coupled with a 12-circuit automatic transfer panel. The panel transfer results in a power outage for a few seconds. UPS on the computers and networking equipment keeps the home automation infrastructure impervious to the power transfer in both directions. My generator is powered by Propane.

Previously I had a gas powered 30 Amp portable generator with a manual transfer panel. That was too much of a hassle. Getting gasoline was sometimes a problem since stations in the nearest city could not pump gas without mains power. It was also no fun connecting and starting the generator in inclement winter weather.

I have been very happy with my current setup. A 20KW vs. 8KW just means more of the house circuits can be powered from the generator. It may also allow a simpler transfer switch that is all or nothing vs. the panel that is circuit by circuit. My primary heat is heat pump and wood fireplace. The inrush current needs to start the heat pump are high and may not be able to be done with a generator.

The generator runs an automatic selftest once a week. Requires an oil change and general maintenance once a year and a lead-acid battery replacement every five years. One needs to be conservative on the battery replacement cycle since staring in cold weather could be too much for an old battery. I do all the maintenance myself. I did need to call for service once to have newer firmware installed in the generator as it generated a fuse-failure fault code in humid weather. Generac would not provide the firmware update other than via a licensed representative.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
          My generator is powered by Propane.

Getting gasoline was sometimes a problem since stations in the nearest city could not pump gas without mains power.

I have been very happy with my current setup. A 20KW vs. 8KW just means more of the house circuits can be powered from the generator. It may also allow a simpler transfer switch that is all or nothing vs. the panel that is circuit by circuit. My primary heat is heat pump and wood fireplace. The inrush current needs to start the heat pump are high and may not be able to be done with a generator.

Requires an oil change and general maintenance once a year and a lead-acid battery replacement every five years.
          Boy you must really live out in the wilderness!! I remember that your Internet speed won't even let you do reasonable uploads! Have you looked into StarLink yet? Still being worked out but I've heard it averages 500mbs.

As for maintenance, on the newer units (yours might be included if you look in the manual) Generac extended the service interval to two years or > 100 hours of (under load, tests don't count on the hobbs). Battery I replace every other service interval, I agree 5 years is too long if you need it in an emergency. You don't want to be running out there with the battery out of your car, or a portable jump starter, to jump the generator!

Comment

I have a Stanby Generac 8K unit model 0062370 circa 2005 powered by Briggs Stratton engine. It is coupled with a 12-circuit automatic transfer panel. The panel transfer results in a power outage for a few seconds. UPS on the computers and networking equipment keeps the home automation infrastructure impervious to the power transfer in both directions. My generator is powered by Propane.

I have been very happy with my current setup. A 20KW vs. 8KW just means more of the house circuits can be powered from the generator. It may also allow a simpler transfer switch that is all or nothing vs. the panel that is circuit by circuit.
            I have almost an identical setup installed at just about the same time. Only differences are mine runs on NG and is 11KW.

I can power the vast majority of my house on 11 KW. AC and 240 V appliances are the only items I wouldn't trust it to handle. Most days though, my peak electricity usage is under 6 KW.

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Have you looked into StarLink yet?
              I signed up in Feb 2021 when the public Beta program was opened. At that time the estimate was "Starlink will begin offering service in your area beginning mid to late 2021.". Looking today the Info message on my account it is "Starlink expects to expand service in your area in June 2022."

Comment

I signed up in Feb 2021 when the public Beta program was opened. At that time the estimate was "Starlink will begin offering service in your area beginning mid to late 2021.". Looking today the Info message on my account it is "Starlink expects to expand service in your area in June 2022."
                Well that's pretty close. If you have a reservation in, you might get a note or a package on your doorstep soon. If you get it installed, it would be great if you could start a StarLink experiences and observations FAQ and discussion thread.

Comment

Working...
                X