X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jibo Social Robot Poised To Become Part Of The Family - July 16, 2014

By Luke Villapaz@lukeydukeyl.villapaz@ibtimes.com
    July 16 2014 9:17 AM

Social robots may become part of the household in the near future with the help of a small family robot called Jibo.

The vision of Cynthia Breazeal, director of the Personal Robots Group at MIT Media Lab, came to life Wednesday with the unveiling of her latest endeavor, the Jibo family robot, developed by Jibo Inc., which she founded.

Standing a mere 11 inches tall and weighing just 6 pounds, Jibo is small robot, which Breazeal hopes will help it become the bridge between robotics and the home.

“It’s hard for people to imagine having a 4-foot humanoid in their home,” Breazeal told International Business Times.

Out of the box Jibo has the ability to learn about the people around it and recognize different voices and faces. This is used by Jibo to interact with its users, whether it’s through conversation or coordinating a specific task such as sorting through voice messages.

Initially, Jibo will take on a few roles such as a personal photographer, messenger, storyteller, companion and a video-chat avatar.

While that might sound somewhat limited, Breazeal notes that machine learning and artificial intelligence are often improved when limited to specific tasks or boundaries. With that in mind, Jibo wasn’t designed to take the place of humans but complement human relationships.

“Jibo doesn’t replace people and human relationships; rather it is designed to support, complement and extend what we need from others in an affordable, effective and delightful way so that we can succeed, thrive and grow,” Breazeal said.

But that doesn’t mean that Jibo’s skillsets won’t grow as the technology matures.

Jibo Inc. plans to expand Jibo’s abilities through both in-house software updates and third-party features developed through the JiboAlive software development kit (SDK) program.

Jibo isn’t in retail stores just yet, but Jibo Inc. aims for the product's first limited run to ship during the 2015 Christmas holiday for $499, with preorders requiring a minimum deposit of $99.

While the consumer model also comes with the JiboAlive SDK, developers can choose the $599 developer package, which also includes additional support and earlier access to Jibo in the fall of 2015.

http://www.ibtimes.com/jibo-social-r...family-1629764
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

That is very cool. I will need one too
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

HS intergrate with Jibo?

Anyone planning on developing a HS interface to Jibo?

Comment

This would be perfect for the home office

Comment

At some point in the not too distant future HS is going to need to get some AI. If not I fear them falling by the wayside as much less capable systems come along that do have AI.
          Originally posted by rprade
          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Some type of built-in process that would establish patterns and time periods and have HS 'decide' automation would be very nice.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Yes having HomeSeer be able to make inferences would be great! but I was more referring to the personal assistant type of AI. Natural language discussion capabilities.
              Originally posted by rprade
              There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                Yes having HomeSeer be able to make inferences would be great! but I was more referring to the personal assistant type of AI. Natural language discussion capabilities.
                I can see it now:

Me: "HomeSeer, remind me to defrost chicken for dinner tomorrow"

It turns the freezer off.
                HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                  I can see it now:

Me: "HomeSeer, remind me to defrost chicken for dinner tomorrow"

It turns the freezer off.
                  LOL... That would be my luck too.
                  Billy

Comment

So, I've been thinking a lot about this (particularly because I was an early adopter and my unit should be arriving in the next couple of months)....

My dream for this is not the have Jibo functions available within HomeSeer (although the idea of having HomeSeer be able to open up a quick camera view from Jibo is nice)... I'd like a connection so that Jibo could trigger events from HomeSeer. Ideally, it would be great for Jibo to have full control over all devices within HomeSeer, but perhaps just having access to an event group named "Jibo" would be sufficient... then we can easily cherry pick which things Jibo can do? There would need to be some way (a Jibo skill) for Jibo to do an initial pull of events, or perhaps a nightly/weekly pull of events in case something changes?

What I'm thinking:
                    Jibo recognizes that I've arrived home (it should be able to detect me with its cameras)... it welcomes me, and then triggers the event "Eric is home" or something similar which would do what I specify by setting up the event (i.e. turning lights on, background music, etc).... If I tell Jibo that I'm having company over tonight or, say, Saturday night? It could add it to its own calendar (same way it would do a reminder), but then before the company comes over, it would run the event "Entertaining" to set the mood appropriately?

Thoughts? I think there is great potential here, even far past just triggering events, but perhaps this would be a good first step?

- Eric

Comment

any of you guys got the jibo ?
                      it looks very great
                      Preferred -> Jon's Plugins, Pushover, Phlocation, Easy-trigger,
                      Rfxcom, Blade Plugins, Pushbullet, homekit, Malosa Scripts

HS3Pro 4.1.14.0 on windows 10 enterprise X64 on hp quadcore laptop 8 GB.

Comment

Originally got thunderstruck by Cynthia Breazeal.

That said I then hemmed and hawed until the fall when I got the Amazon Echo tickle.

Today with another look at it and having been using the Amazon Echo, I do like the Jibo more than the Amazon Echo.

Would I purchase one at $500 plus (guesstimate)? Probably not.
                        Last edited by Pete; September 10, 2015, 05:15 PM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                        X