Apollo 11 - 21st of July 1969

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo 11 - 21st of July 1969

Apollo 11 was the spaceflight that landed the first humans on the Moon, Americans Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, on July 20, 1969, at 20:18 UTC. Armstrong became the first to step onto the lunar surface six hours later on July 21 at 02:56 UTC. Armstrong spent about two and a half hours outside the spacecraft, Aldrin slightly less, and together they collected 47.5 pounds (21.5 kg) of lunar material for return to Earth. A third member of the mission, Michael Collins, piloted the command spacecraft alone in lunar orbit until Armstrong and Aldrin returned to it just under a day later for the trip back to Earth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_11http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...s-giant-leap/2

This is the camera that was utilized for the picture below.

Hasselblad EDC (Electric Data Camera)

This is a specially designed version of the motorized 500EL intended for use on the surface of the moon, where the first lunar pictures were taken on 20 July 1969 by Neil Armstrong. The camera is equipped with a specially designed Biogon lens with a focal length of 60 mm, with a polarization filter mounted on the lens. A glass plate (Reseau-Plate), provided with reference crosses which are recorded on the film during exposure, is in contact with the film, and these crosses can be seen on all the pictures taken on the moon from 1969 to 1972. The 12 HEDC cameras used on the surface of the moon were left there. Only the film magazines were brought back.

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/about-h...e-cameras.aspx

I recall getting into photography in the late 1960's early 1970's and folks stating at the time to purchase a Hasselblad camera. I did have a couple of friends that did purchase them while in college; personally though it was way beyond my "camera" budget at the time.

Last edited by Pete; July 22, 2014, 11:31 AM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Ah... remember it well.

Where was that camera situated so that the shot of Neil decending down the latter could be shown?

Rob
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Yup; here too remember it.

We had one of those color console TV's with built in phonograph and radio.

We were all wondering at the time why the images were in black and white and not in color.

Searching a bit found out that the live images were produced by putting a TV camera in front of a slow scan monitor.

I found too much information relating to the position of the camera taking the first steps on the moon pictures (or video).

There is too much stuff mixed in with many threads about this on the internet making it sort of difficult to know fact from fiction or fantasy.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I remember it to. Very cool stuff. Makes me wonder if we could pull the same thing off today.

Saw an interesting show on SyFy last light. The show was titled Aliens on the Moon: Fact or Fiction. Either way, very interesting show, see http://www.openminds.tv/syfy-documen...the-moon/28793

The show made mention of a web site I did not know about, Google Moon. What will Google do next, see http://www.google.com/moon/
        Billy

Comment

I remember not having school that day.
          Saw that Aliens on the Moon show. Makes ya think

Tim
          FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Capt-Tim/209398425902188

HSTouch Layouts - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5902188&type=3

Comment

Originally posted by fungun View Post
            I remember not having school that day.
            Saw that Aliens on the Moon show. Makes ya think

Tim
            School??? Weren't you on summer holidays?
            Last edited by langenet; July 21, 2014, 06:00 PM.
            HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Yup; here there was always a discussion about what we were going to watch on the color TV.

It was the only color TV in the house. Grandma said we were wasting the TV on black and white TV stuff. Grandma didn't believe what she saw anyways.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Where was that camera situated so that the shot of Neil descending down the latter could be shown?
                @Rob,
                Updated OP with said information relating to position (and type) of camera taking first pics.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Yeah... thanks Pete. I looked into it after I posted the question.

There are of course the conspiracy theroists out there who don't believe that man landed on the moon. Found an interesting youtube video from Myth Busters that shot down and busted those claims. Sorry don't have access to youtube from work to post the link. I found it interesting to watch...

Comment

Found the video.

Interesting. Never watched Mythbusters. (nor much live TV these days).

They state that 20% of folks today think that the moon landing was a hoax ("easy" button?)

Mythbusters NASA Moon Landing video.

Pictures of the gloves used.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Pete; July 22, 2014, 08:00 AM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I remember my Grade 8 teacher telling us there would be no color on the moon because there was no atmosphere. I was the only one to verbally disagree with him, and he later had to correct himself (and apologize, because we both had stuck to our position).

One correction. Commonly mis-quoted; Armstrong's words were actually "one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." If you listen carefully to the recording you can hear him say "A man". He did later mention this in an interview as well.
                      Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Working...
                      X