Best Surge Protector Strips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Surge Protector Strips?

Wirecutter tested a random sample of surge protector strips from different manufacturers, and it largely confirmed what I suspected: performance is all over the map: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-surge-protector/ It's also not as simple as "you get what you pay for", as the one wirecutter liked most was a $33 APC strip, which outperformed more expensive strips that it tested.

What should be the purchase criteria? I'm thinking:
    1. Clamping voltage close to regular voltage. The $33 APC clamps to 160 volts. That's much better than a lot of them. I've seen some that claim to clamp to 130. Should that be the objective?
    2. Probably uses MOV's as the technology.
    3. At a minimum , some kind of visual indication as to whether the MOV's are still working or whether they have worn out. I'd prefer to have a fairly quiet alarm over a visual indicator, as I'll probably forget to check the visual indicators as time goes by.
    4. I'm torn on the topic of whether it should shut down rather than continue to function once it can no longer protect: http://blogs.computerworld.com/19637...doesnt_protect Is there a right answer? Apparently APC chose one way, and Tripp Lite the opposite. I'm leaning toward the Tripp Lite approach, provided it has an audible alarm.
    5. Ideally, an easy way to inexpensively replace the MOV's when that happens. Are there any strips where you can easily and economically unplug bad MOV's and plug in good replacement MOV's, or do economies of scale make it more realistic to simply replace the entire thing? How long do these things typically last anyhow?
    6. A favorable price/performance ratio. I'm fine with $33. Some, like http://www.zerosurge.com/residential...tial-products/, cost $150-$200 though. Is that way past the point of diminishing returns?
    7. UL listed.
    8. Anything else?

My wife's solution to all this? "Just buy what they have at Costco." Ignoring the UPS's, the Costco choice would probably be: http://www.costco.com/Tripp-Lite-Pro....11244578.html It does come with an audible alarm. The Costco listing doesn't show the clamping voltage (fairly typical for retailers), but this does: http://www.tripplite.com/home-comput...j45~TLP810NET/ which says it clamps to 150 Volts RMS, so slightly better than the APC in the wirecutter article above. Amazon sells the same model (though the photos look a bit different) for $34. For now, I'll call it my default choice. Is there a reason to think it might be a bad choice for, say, protecting a PoE Ethernet switch that powers Z-troller's and ip cams?

So, what are you all using?
    Last edited by NeverDie; August 12, 2014, 02:17 PM.

If I ever need to think about what surge protector I am plugging in, I default to using a battery solution. Then I don't have to worry.

I also installed a whole home surge...and really never give them a second thought anymore.

--Dan
    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

I'm pretty sure IEEE recommends surge strips even if you have whole house surge protection. Why? The whole house is supposed to knock down the surge, but the let through voltage can still be high. The surge strip takes the reduced surge and knocks it down still further. That isn't to say the surge strip substitutes for the whole house surge protector. In IEEE's view, you should have both.

I just looked at the surge strips I still have from the late 1990's. The let through voltage on them was 330 volts, which is more than double the 150 volts on the Costco strip above. I don't think they even had surge strips with that spec in the 1990's, or if they did, it wasn't common. That's the fruit of progress.

Comment

Originally posted by NeverDie View Post

So, what are you all using?
        Bump.

Comment

For my "critical" equipment, I use APC UPS's and rely on their surge-suppression. For everything else, I use standard power bars as I knew that most surge protecter/power bar combos are crap. The Wire Cutter article you referenced is great and I'm rethinking my approach.

I've seen the aftermath of popped MOVs in power bars and typically they take out quite a bit of the rest of the supressor if they do go, so replacing them is likely more trouble than it's worth.

Cheers
          Al
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

We tend to use all metal surge suppression strips, as sometimes MOVs can fail in a spectacular and fiery manner. Think twice before using plastic ones...even though most people do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Automated View Post
              We tend to use all metal surge suppression strips, as sometimes MOVs can fail in a spectacular and fiery manner. Think twice before using plastic ones...even though most people do it.

Yes! About a decade or so ago UL changed their requirements to place a one shot thermal cutoff adjacent to the Movs to minimize the problem. It usually occurs with a poor or open neutral.

I still prefer the metal enclosure though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X