Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Humans need not apply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Sobering. Reminds me of that Twilight Zone episode:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFgLVU-eKRE

Seems that if you go even further in the future, many robots will be out of a job because there won't be employed humans to buy their products. Or you could say that if since robots require no salary, their product (whether it's food, medical care or whatever) would be very cheap. Therefore humans wouldn't need a job. Then we would grow fatter and lazier like the movie Wall-E.

Comment

This is a fantastic video! I have been sensing it's point for the majorityof my life. Which is why I only work jobs that can't be done better by hardware or software.
      Originally posted by rprade
      There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Elderly care?

Comment

Originally posted by RJS View Post
          Elderly care?
          Handyman and (by training but not currently by profession) psychoanalist.

I think that many of the trades will not be as impacted by the rise of high technology as that video would lead one to believe. The trades being coopted was mentioned but there was litte to back it up.

Comment

Great video. Fortunately, this generation doesn't have much to worry about but in 50 years. Wow, what a different world this will be! We will get to see a lot of it in our lifetime but to think about what my 7 year old will see kind of makes me jealous.
            Bryan
            Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
            Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

Yeah, outsourcing is a bigger problem for us today.

Comment

To me, the most sobering observation concerned transportation. If commercial transportation jobs - OTR, delivery, taxi, bus, fork lift, snow plow, heavy equipment, etc. - were all automated, that alone could push unemployment to very high levels, and self driving vehicles are a pretty realistic possibility in the next few decades. The cascading effect of that one change on the world economy could be devastating, even if automation made no other inroads.
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

The video made a good point about the number of traffic fatalities. Even if there were computer glitches in automated vehicles, fewer people would die. But what are people who currently drive those vehicle for a living supposed to do for employment? I've heard people say that those types of people should go back to school. Well, what if they are too old or don't have the aptitude for anything higher skilled? Remember those aptitude tests we took as kids? What if you got a score that said you were only suited for jobs that are obsolete?

Comment

Originally posted by RJS View Post
                    Remember those aptitude tests we took as kids? What if you got a score that said you were only suited for jobs that are obsolete?

There will be new job markets. Such folks can get jobs building robots. Haven't you ever watched a Sci-Fi movie? All of the regular Joe folks in Sci_Fi movies have jobs making the robots.

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                      There will be new job markets. Such folks can get jobs building robots. Haven't you ever watched a Sci-Fi movie? All of the regular Joe folks in Sci_Fi movies have jobs making the robots.
                      Won't robots build robots? That must be a demeaning job if you are a robot. No chance of promotion either. It's not like your robot boss will appreciate all the hard work you do and make you a supervisor over the slacker robots.

Comment

Working...
                      X