Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A circular phone call? A call from the past...or the future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A circular phone call? A call from the past...or the future?

Yesterday I received a call with a calling number listed in CID identical to my home phone number. Of course, the name listed was my name.

I suppose if one is spoofing a number anyway, it shouldn't be too difficult to set it to the number the dialer is dialing, but it gave me an eerie feeling - and a strong urge to answer. I didn't, and there was no message. It's a pretty sneaky way to trick someone into answering, especially if you are in the middle of something and not paying close attention to CID content.

It also seemed strange to enter my own phone number in my address book as blocked.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
    It also seemed strange to enter my own phone number in my address book as blocked.
    Hi Mike,

Too funny, I'll have to do the same. I guess it's impossible for that number to call, so makes sense to do.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Same happened here twice in the last few weeks... around Halloween.

Comment

What if it WAS your future self calling to warn you about some upcoming disaster and telling you how to avoid it. Or perhaps you will call yourself to give yourself the big winning lottery numbers. Too bad you didn't/won't answer.

On the other hand, Wasssssssupppp? The call is coming from Inside the house.
        Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Just came across this story. I guess I'm part of a new trend. Oh well, just part of being on the 'leading edge' of technology.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

Originally posted by Pete
            The technology to spoof CIDs has been around way longer than June 2014.
            Pete,
            I didn't mean to imply that spoofing was new. But, it appears that the practice of spoofing the number as the called person's own number is a recent innovation.

Comment

Working...
            X