Web hosting provider recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web hosting provider recommendations

I have an issue with my current Web hosting company - Network Solutions. I haven't been able to FTP updates for the past week. Not a major problem, since I'm not running a commercial site, but still frustrating. Worst tech support I've ever encountered. Basically I'm caught in their security system implemented following a large denial of service attack. They won't or can't fix the problem.

So I'm looking for a new hosting provider. My needs aren't great, but I'd like to hear from those who have had good service from your provider.

Thanks,
    Barry

I use future hosting for years..

excellent service

Comment

I have had good experiences with Hostmoster for years.
      Mike

Comment

Hostmonster
        HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
        Home Assistant 2024.3
        Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
        Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
        Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
        WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
        AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Bluehost.

Cheers
          Al
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Follow-up

Thanks for the suggestions. For the moment, I'm staying with Network Solutions, mainly because I don't want the hassle of moving.

The problem was solved by getting an new IP issued by Comcast. Network Solutions was blocking my IP for some reason. I spent hours on the phone with NS and after a week and multiple trouble tickets, finally convinced a state-side tech that they were causing the problem, not me. The only solution was to change my IP, since they couldn't''t/wouldn't do anything.

The most amazing part of this story was the help I received from Comcast. Their 1st tier tech said they can't assign/change IPs, but that he thought the security team could help me. And they did. I couldn't have asked for better technical support.

Thanks,
            Barry

Comment

Good news Barry!

So the issue was related to your home IP connecting to your web services being blocked by Comcast?

The fix was just an IP change?

Here I do not keep a static IP and manually change my stuff about once a month. I have had occasional issues with my host names (used for over 10 years now) being sunk by some DNS providers. I don't pay attention much these days but I think the parent company that owns mine is Godaddy these days.....but it wasn't originally that many years ago.

Are you utilizing / renting their modem or do you own your own?
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                Good news Barry!

So the issue was related to your home IP connecting to your web services being blocked by Comcast?

The fix was just an IP change?

Here I do not keep a static IP and manually change my stuff about once a month. I have had occasional issues with my host names (used for over 10 years now) being sunk by some DNS providers. I don't pay attention much these days but I think the parent company that owns mine is Godaddy these days.....but it wasn't originally that many years ago.

Are you utilizing / renting their modem or do you own your own?
                Network Solutions was blocking the IP. They said it was getting caught in their denial of service prevention software. They couldn't do anything about it. When I got a new IP, all was well. Comcast said they don't block IPs and that the problem IP wasn't on any blacklist they knew of.

I do have a Comcast modem, since I use there phone package.

Thanks,
                Barry

Comment

Yeah here had some issues relating to using no ip dot com for a bit (been using them for years). Its been over 10 years now and I use them for this or for that. I could always though get to my stuff (email and web though from another service provider). Today though too my PFSense firewall doesn't use the CC provided DNS stuff rather it does it's own thing relating to DNS. (there is lot of dark stuff out there in places you would not imagine).

Relating to CC I keep everything separate (a la carte) these days and have always purchased my modems and now on my 4th generation of Motorola modems (in just some ~ 15 years?). In Florida keep the combination Verizon FIOS box on line but not really using it except for TV stuff and bridged the WAN port to one LAN port to my Firewall there. Its been years now and I have not had any issues. That said the old copper phone lines were switched over to the fiber and they did their magic outside of the house connecting the new fiber stuff to the old copper dmark. It is used just fine but I do hear the difference in the quality of the line with the copper line still better sounding from years ago (which doesn't make sense to me).

Here in the Midwest AT&T came in to our small 100 home subdivision just a few months ago. They did get a bunch of folks to change with some good 1 year deals on service. Rather that up chuck the old copper lines and replace the stuff with their fiber to copper boxes; they went to using the old cable in place. They did offer me a great deal (I am on CC here) and I said I would like a second internet connection. BUT I didn't want it on the old wires so didn't go for the deal.

When I first purchased the new Motorola modem I did have issues with it. Calling CC support they told me to just go to an office and get a new modem from them. I said no. I went on the CC forum and noticed many folks were grieving about the same or similar issues relating to purchase and owning their own modems. That said one of the obi wan CC CT's there fixed (well updated my modem configuration) calling me at home before and after said fix. I really appreciated this service and have not had any issues since.
                  Last edited by Pete; February 22, 2015, 03:28 PM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Network Solutions has terrible support

FTP stopped working yesterday. Same issue. I finally got an answer from Network Solutions, after an hour on the phone and working my way up the chain. I'm being blocked because I'm hitting the ftp server every 5 minutes with 3 tiny files. So they have blocked the new IP too. They, of course, didn't want to tell me, so I could change the update schedule. And they can't unblock the IP until after some unspecified period.

Looking for a new company. Don't want to deal with these guys any more.

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by mwaite View Post
                      I have had good experiences with Hostmoster for years.
                      A little off topic. I have used hostmonster since 2006. I had gotten a great rate, but it seems for the last year they are asking for a lot more than usual. Have you or other hostmonster users experienced the same increase? They offer new users the rate they always charged me, and me 5X that rate.

Their service and options are great, but I am ready to leave if they want to stick it to me since I hardly use what I pay for in the first place.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                      Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                      Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
                        A little off topic. I have used hostmonster since 2006. I had gotten a great rate, but it seems for the last year they are asking for a lot more than usual. Have you or other hostmonster users experienced the same increase? They offer new users the rate they always charged me, and me 5X that rate.

Their service and options are great, but I am ready to leave if they want to stick it to me since I hardly use what I pay for in the first place.
                        I fear this has become a standard practice for many providers and happened on Network Solutions with me. When the couldn't figure out the problem, they switched me to a new server plan for half of what I was paying. I'm sure that price wouldn't have lasted long.

I think it is like a lot of business where once you are in, it is a pain to change and you just keep paying more.

Barry

Comment

Here I called my provider two years ago having utilize them for more than 10 years and asked for a repeat customer discount politely and they did actually lower my rates. I do prepay 3 years in advance for my services.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                          X