X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light bulb performed a DoS attack on entire smart house

http://fusion.net/story/55026/this-g...e-smart-house/

~Bill

Anyone else look at the picture of his "central hub"? What's going on in this house?
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Anybody who has used X10 ( or still uses it) knows that a defective X10 module can " bring down your whole house automation." Calling that a DoS attack is silly! This is the kind of bad press that makes people think that anything automated is susceptible to a computer virus attack. That kind of thinking slows the adoption rate of home automation.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
        Anybody who has used X10 ( or still uses it) knows that a defective X10 module can " bring down your whole house automation." Calling that a DoS attack is silly! This is the kind of bad press that makes people think that anything automated is susceptible to a computer virus attack. That kind of thinking slows the adoption rate of home automation.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
        My X10 dont fail!!! HAHA..
        HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Yup; here relating to UPB there is a vendor / mfg provided tool called Upstart which tests the UPB power line network.

There are three live bar graph meters; one for the signal, noise and average noise.

You can test PIM to device; PIM to repeater and whatever combination of devices to and from you want to test.

The same software is utilized to configure the switches. You then save the configuration and Homeseer reads the configuration and Homeseer reads the configuration file. Homeseer does not modify any of the switches or configurations.

It gets a bit granular. You only really need to do once though typically per switch.

I have read sometimes the messages between the switches cross each other and can cause issues. I have not seen this to date.

I have not seen any beaconing on the UPB powerline network from a bad switch or configuration.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Pete; March 19, 2015, 03:04 PM.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

+1 on Zwave "DoS" ... and it took few weeks to nail this down as turning on/off breaker didn't really help pin point even which group of devices is a culprit. Very frustrating ....

Comment

I'll add a 'me too' to the zwave issues. I had a bad zwave light switch introduce horrible delays into my home setup. As soon as I replace it, poof, everything went back to normal.

I think there's something funky in my laundry room, as that's the 2nd time a zwave light switch has gone bad in there - though they were both the same brand (Intermatic), so that might be something to do with it too.

G

Comment

Except for the various color-controllable bulbs, I'm missing why one would want to use a Z-Wave light bulbs as opposed to a switch. As an example, we have ten or so can lights in our kitchen. Much, much cheaper to get one Z-Wave switch to control all, as opposed to individual light bulbs.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedr View Post
                    Except for the various color-controllable bulbs, I'm missing why one would want to use a Z-Wave light bulbs as opposed to a switch. As an example, we have ten or so can lights in our kitchen. Much, much cheaper to get one Z-Wave switch to control all, as opposed to individual light bulbs.
                    When you have a single bulb like my hallway or stairwell, the Z-Wave bulb might be a better solution at ~$35 each than a Jasco 3-way control @ $60-70 each. Less expense, no installation required, etc. Don't forget that the vast majority of potential home automation customers are not going to change out a switch for Insteon or Z-Wave - they're going to pay an electrician.
                    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Working...
                    X