X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeSeer on a Mac X Server

Welcome to the Homeseer forum Thomas.

Original Homeseer roots are in Wintel.

That said Homeseer 3 runs on Wintel, iOS (MAC) or Linux.

There is no console GUI anymore such that you can manage it almost entirely never looking at the console of the computer that it is running on.

Homeseer 3 has a learning curve.

I would personally use whatever OS you like the best and are most familiar with.

Here I went to Linux for Homeseer and I am a happy camper.

Thinking the majority of folks here are running Homeseer on some flavor of Windows.

There are a few Homeseer 3 users here today running HomeSeer 3 on a MAC.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I would suggest you read the following thread:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=164274

The Linux version of HS3 should run on Mac OS X, but your mileage may vary. I wasn't able to make it run without errors on top of OS X El Captain running on a Mid 2011 Mac Mini Server.

Comment

I'll also add that I don't think you'll be able to hook up HS3 with 2GIG/Alarm.com. We have that exact same setup. 2GIG's control panel is a Z-Wave Interface, but to my knowledge there's no way to, say, add it as a secondary controller (or a separate network) in HS3. And there's no way to interface with the controller to be able to get status notifications for when the alarm is armed/disarmed, or when doors are open, etc.

I'm on a five year contract at one house (half way through) and at our other house we have an older GE Concorde/Alarm.com setup that's now off contract. I'm going to replace the latter with a DSC system when I have free time, and at the house with the 2GIG, will do the same once it's off contract.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

So that's exactly what I've decided to do, at least to start... My preference is native Mac, but that seem to be the most problematic install. Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "server") worked well, but some of the plugins I need don't seem to be supported on Linux. So...

I've loaded Oracle's VirtualBox on a Mac Mini (2011 2.5GHz i5, 16GB RAM) and built a Windows 10 Home guest (2 virtual Procs. 4G Ram120G virt. drive). I had an old unused W7 disk and license and was able to make use of the free upgrade to Win10. Everything works and seems to perform well under VirtualBox. The only problem is mine - I literally haven't used a Windows machine at all since Vista was introduced so I'm having to re-learn where things are as compared to the XP machine I last used years ago.

I'll continue trying to get a solid, repeatable and fully functional install on native OS X, but until then the Win10 virtual seems to be the best compromise.

Terry

Comment

Definitely having 2Gig control a relay that you then detect via HS3 is a way to monitor the alarm. If you get 2Gig working as a secondary controller, please post! My understanding is that it cannot be done, but I may be wrong.

What I really would like to do is be able to leverage all the security sensors and read them in HS3, which cannot be done.

When my alarm term expires, I'll be moving to a DSC system, and get a dirt cheap alarm monitoring contract with the bare minimum, but over IP or cellular (no landline). Then do all the non-alarm stuff via HomeSeer, as well as remote stuff (e.g., arm/disarm remotely).

Comment

Originally posted by roussell View Post
                    So that's exactly what I've decided to do, at least to start... My preference is native Mac, but that seem to be the most problematic install. Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "server") worked well, but some of the plugins I need don't seem to be supported on Linux. So...

I've loaded Oracle's VirtualBox on a Mac Mini (2011 2.5GHz i5, 16GB RAM) and built a Windows 10 Home guest (2 virtual Procs. 4G Ram120G virt. drive). I had an old unused W7 disk and license and was able to make use of the free upgrade to Win10. Everything works and seems to perform well under VirtualBox. The only problem is mine - I literally haven't used a Windows machine at all since Vista was introduced so I'm having to re-learn where things are as compared to the XP machine I last used years ago.

I'll continue trying to get a solid, repeatable and fully functional install on native OS X, but until then the Win10 virtual seems to be the best compromise.

Terry
                    Terry,
                    Good to know that that setup will work out. For me Windows will not be a problem it will be the mac side if anything. I never used Virtual Box I will have to try it out on the PC and play with it. I do have a Question on the Zwave Dongle. I have the Aeon Labs Aeotec z-wave stick right know. How is the HomeSeer z-wave ver compare to the Aeon Labs Version for HomeSeer? I havent had any time to mess with the Aeon labs one yet. Manly because I just figured out how to add it the HomeSeer. Just by hitting buttons on the software and it just showed up. I also been looking for trainning videos on how to use the software but only found some stuff on YouTube. Any suggestion on

Comment

The SmartStick by HS is a bit better -- permits network-wide inclusion, and may have a bit better range. But the Z-Stick from Aeon is a solid interface.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedr View Post
                        The SmartStick by HS is a bit better -- permits network-wide inclusion, and may have a bit better range. But the Z-Stick from Aeon is a solid interface.
                        I picked up the Aeon z-stick for $15 with shipping. which was a good price, I will get the HS Smartstick as well. but later on when i get more handy with the software.

Comment

Working...
                        X