Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tankless water heater or the convetional tank heater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Hector, when it came to replacing my old hot water tank in my small FL house I chose a tankless system as I didn't want to pay for hot water heating when I didn't use all the water till it ran cold (I used HS to control the heating, but I still had it on a best fit schedule), I wanted to save space, for WAF she liked being able to fill a jacuzzi bath without wondering if there was enough hot water, and I didn't want to have to worry if guests would run out of hot water if they take showers at random times. I've had the tankless for just over a year now and am still delighted with it. I use it with a descaler/filter and acid wash it every 3 months so I don't see why it won't last me many many years.
    All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

Tankless water heater or the convetional tank heater?

Here installed a Geospring 50 gallon heat pump style. Love it. No more noise than a dehumidifier, and never a problem in utility room off finished basement (wife's desk on other side of wall). Plenty of hot water, big savings vs. conventional heater elements. Seems ideal for solar.
      Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

Originally posted by Madcodger View Post
        Here installed a Geospring 50 gallon heat pump style. Love it. No more noise than a dehumidifier, and never a problem in utility room off finished basement (wife's desk on other side of wall). Plenty of hot water, big savings vs. conventional heater elements. Seems ideal for solar.
        I was thinking about HP style tank, and I know there efficient but the cost is a bit high. Currently I don't pay for electricity, so paying for something like that doesn't make any sense to me in my case. Don't u think?
        Hector
        MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
        AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by Olbrit View Post
          Hi Hector, when it came to replacing my old hot water tank in my small FL house I chose a tankless system as I didn't want to pay for hot water heating when I didn't use all the water till it ran cold (I used HS to control the heating, but I still had it on a best fit schedule), I wanted to save space, for WAF she liked being able to fill a jacuzzi bath without wondering if there was enough hot water, and I didn't want to have to worry if guests would run out of hot water if they take showers at random times. I've had the tankless for just over a year now and am still delighted with it. I use it with a descaler/filter and acid wash it every 3 months so I don't see why it won't last me many many years.
          In you case with your tankless WH, how many AC connection did you had to install to it? As I understand, some unit may need more then one AC connection is this true?
          Hector
          AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Not really relevant but, generally here in the UK, unless there is a high requirement for hot water (large multi-bathroom house) gas or oil fired combi-boilers are normally installed which provide instant hot water and a radiator heat source in a single unit but not at the same time.

Our house has 2 bathrooms and a gas fired combi-boiler which can comfortably supply 2 showers at the same time but would struggle with flow rates for anything more than that. It can supply about 20 litres a minute at a 35 deg C rise in water temperature.

This system replaced an ageing "storage cylinder" type set-up with a 250 litre (50 gallon) tank which would frequently run out having 2 teenagers in the house and require reheating at the most inopportune time (e.g. when I wanted a shower).

Through analysis of our gas usage, I established that hot water is a very small part of the overall consumption. Heating the house in winter is what guzzles the fuel.

A friend with a similar size and construction of house to ours just happens to have 250 kW of solar power on his barn roof and recently installed a very expensive (IMO) heating/hot water system based on a 1500 litre thermal store and air source heat pumps. Apparently it is very efficient but will take the rest of his life and no doubt the life of his children to recover the installation cost through fuel savings.

Paul..

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
              Ok, so today I open my garage and found a river of water coming from under my water heater. Sure enough tank had its last days. I have never changed a water heater in my life so I need some advice. Should I go with the tankless water heater or should I go with the tank model?

Currently my water heater was controlled by HS, It would shut off the power to it when the alarm was active. This method helped save a lot with the electric bill.
              I also have to mention that my home is powered by solar panels, so my electric bill is almost cero (I have to pay for the meter $15,00)

So my question is, should I invest in a costly tankless water? Or should I go with a normal tank heater?
              Are you talking Electric or Gas?

The only time I recommend tank-less is when the fuel source is NAT/LP gas and the customer has a generator (or doesn't care they will not have hot water during a power outage).
              RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by ServiceXp View Post
                Are you talking Electric or Gas?

The only time I recommend tank-less is when the fuel source is NAT/LP gas and the customer has a generator (or doesn't care they will not have hot water during a power outage).
                In my case is electric.
                Hector
                AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally Posted by ServiceXp
                  In my case is electric.
                  I think it depends on each person's circumstances and preferences. In my case there is no natural gas in the area, I feel propane is too expensive, and the solar PV system I'm planning will give me about a net zero electric usage charge, like Hector's. Thankfully power outages are rare so I'm not worried about hot water during those times and quite frankly the water here is never cold and is quite tolerable for showers in a pinch. If there's an extended outage due to e.g. hurricane, then hot water will probably not be high on my list of concerns.

In you case with your tankless WH, how many AC connection did you had to install to it? As I understand, some unit may need more then one AC connection is this true?
                  My underfloor plumbing ruptured a while back so I had to do a wholehouse replumb, so as part of that (while walls and ceilings were already tore up) I had a new 200A electric service and panel installed, together with a new 125A subpanel by the tankless that fed it 3x 40A/240VAC circuits.

Interesting discussion thread along similar lines...http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=173228
                  All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
                    I was thinking about HP style tank, and I know there efficient but the cost is a bit high. Currently I don't pay for electricity, so paying for something like that doesn't make any sense to me in my case. Don't u think?

If your electricity costs nothing and you are not managing a battery bank, I agree. Where I think it ideal for solar is when a battery bank must be managed and no alternate heat source can replace the HW heater itself (e.g., a very large storage capacity for a solar HW system, or perhaps only very occasional use of a fossil fuel backup). The low consumption of the heat pump water heater seems like a good idea, as it would allow for continued use of the batteries without causing an excessive drain. Heat is pulled from the environment, with only a little energy used to power the compressor / fan. Some will say, "just burn gas", but if one is trying to minimize that for any reason, the heat pump is a potential solution.
                    Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

Here the original house in FL built in 1955 and upgraded over the years used a solar panel for hot water heat. It worked well and mostly utilized for the swimming pool from 1988 to around 1999 or so. The pool water was always warm. The old house had a flat roof.

We did a tear down and removed the solar panels and never used them in the new house. We also went to propane heat for the swimming pool. Initially the propane heater was used then over the years now it hasn't been used. Going with a heat pump set up is ideal.

Here is a drawing of the solar panel configuration stuff. I am not sure when it was installed originally.

- Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                      X