PI Password

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PI Password

I haven't done much with the PI since having set it all up last summer, c/w HS3, because it had been a bit of a pain for me to connect a display and keyboard/mouse to it.

Recently got myself a HDMI to VGA converter and now have the PI connected to a KVM switch along with two other computers. Nice and painless except for the fact I seem to have forgotten both passwords I'd set up on the PI; passwords I'd thought would be rather simple at the time. Guess I'm too smart for my own good, or perhaps my memory really is failing.
    I'm a complete Linux noob. Is there any way to recover/reset both the root and user passwords without starting from scratch?
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

OK. Remembered the root pw, but still need to reset the user password.

Comment

Login as root, then type: passwd user
      Where user is the one you want to change.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Personally I would add Webmin to the RPi2 as it is a nice overall web based management tool.

It does fine with overall management of the hardware, updates et al (not related to HomeSeer 3 stuff).

Install it; play with it. If you do not like it remove it.

That aside I also wintel tools like putty (for SSH) and WinSCP today.

You can also make a Homeseer web page an SSH console (which I use too).

I have my RPi2 (s) not connected to any monitors today. (IE: the Zee-2 is in the attic and I am trying to break it).

A recommendation relating to learning about the RPi2 / Linux is to start from scratch building a new RPi2-3 using the guides provided by Rob here and the Rasberry Pi folks. You will need to update Rob's RPi2 image as it is now over a year old.

MicroSD cards are less than $10 these days. Purchase a couple of them. You cannot break the hardware.

For Homeseer 3 you only need to add Mono to the build (which today I think it is included in the base).
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
          Login as root, then type: passwd user
          Where user is the one you want to change.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk
          Well! That was too obvious. Thanks.

Comment

No problem!

I am installing Webmin on my Pi3 per Pete's suggestion. It does make all system management much easier. Basically, webmin can handle anything you can do at the command-line via web interface.
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Here is a quickie snapshot of Webmin on the Zee-2 and an SSH applet if you want to utilize SSH remotely within Homeseer.

I utilize Webmin to keep the OS up to date.
              Attached Files
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
              X