Cloud storage - yes or no

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok so I for one do not like the word CLOUD.. It bothers me when my wife or others say ... Just put it in the "Cloud"... i usually snap back and say.. yeah so it is just sitting there in infinite storage... then ask.. Do you know what a cloud is and they reply.. no i dont have too.. its up there..

so am I being a skurdy cat? shall I embrace cloud storage?

where I am going with this is simple. I have 0 offsite backup for my family pics/data. If I lost it wife would definitely not talk to me anymore...

I currently run Server 2016 Standard with Essentials Role. In addition I run Stablebit drive pool on top of that.

Love it. to me I dont need raid performance of raid 10/60 or whatever...

SBDP is simple.. put drives of same or different size in and pool them.
    in a 6 drive system as an example you then can say..
    Family Pics - duplicate onto all 6
    family data - duplicate onto all 6
    music - duplicate on 2
    DVR shows - do not duplicate but will place files across all 6 so if one drive goes you dont loose say all of them...

so with that they do have a cloud pool product now and I am thinking if I purchase that and then add in all the free storage cloud space I have or add more, place my stuff there for offsite storage.

now an alternative to that is I can build a machine that utilizes very little power and place it at a friends house. Guy at work uses some torrent software that replicates between the 2 systems. This way you have an offsite storage and you dictate the storage. Of course it has to be a good bud, one you bribe with beverages and or you reciprocate and setup the same for him if he chooses.

so what are your thoughts and...
    list up free cloud space places and ill keep them all in a big list here
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

i've used dropbox for years now. I store photos, documents, source code, etc on it.

Basically anything that cant be replaced in the event of a fire goes into dropbox.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

well I guess that is a chock for yes and for dropbox... hmmmm

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

onedrive. free is 10gb

pay $69 a year and get full office 2016 and 1TB of onedrive.

pay $99 a year and get full office 2016 5 users and 5 * 1TB of onedrive.

You can link onedrive accounts so you could have a main account that contains all 5 TB.

* easy software to sync
        * redundant globally 6 copies generally
        * safe (subjective)
        * encrypted storage on their end
        * its microsoft. aren't most of us ms affectionados here anyway?
        * easy sharing with edit/read only

Comment

Cloud you can't stand on unless your dead

The answer is HEFF NO!!!!!!

Read the fine print......

You no longer own the rights to you data.....it can be sold to others without your permission......

Buy a QNap server or several and control your own data...... Serve it up behind a VPN system authenticated to only your MAC I'd devices........

Currently backups are important to me.
          2x Whs 2011 servers 10 Tb running as quarterly backups

2x Qnap TS653 NAS units 21 Tb running in tandem

4x WD 4tb NAS units rotated out of cold storage each dedicated to a specific data set

Buy a really large fire safe that has power and Ethernet capability......store a few there ...

Store one with remote access at your office, kids house, or trusted friend.....

So that's a NO Vote

Devoir
          Last edited by devoir; December 6, 2016, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Yes. FWIW I use a hybrid approach with Crashplan and auto-sync all my family's PC data (including 1 PC overseas) and server data to their Cloud and my data servers in MD and FL. In addition every 2 months (or as often as I can) I do a manual SSR of each PC and storage server to 2 external USB drives that get stored in 2 different locations.
            All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

I do onsite backup only, I have a Netgear 4 bay x 3TB NAS that sits on my internal network. I have divided the volumes by function and crated 2 levels of backup (primary, tertiary) volumes, with multiple backup points to all devices on my network hosted on the tertiary volume. The tertiary backup volume is highly secured and is really only accessible to the internal NAS unless I need to recover from it. I do this in order to protect these backups from a potential cryptolocker attack that could compromise other systems on my network.
              The NAS is aging (5 years old this year) and last year I did have on of my oldest drives fail. My plan is to eventually replace it with home brew full size desktop with 8GB RAM, 2 teamed NICS, and 6 x4TB drives. Freenas is a really great Linux distribution for NAS OS and management.

I have been considering picking up a cloud backup and storage solution for my High value data (family pics, home video, and my wife's side business). I have been looking at Carbonite, crashplan, and justcloud. Since they all offer comparable security my key decision will be overall price, and how easy it will be to integrate into my existing storage systems.

The other variables I would recommend consideration being provided to:
              1. How is the data encrypted and secured at rest.
              A. What is the data privacy agreement that you commit to
              B. How effective is adding your own level of encryption could help to protect you in the event that you do choose a cheap non-privacy minded solution.
              2. How is the data encrypted in transit.
              3. How does the solution handle changes to files and back them up.
              4. how much human interaction is needed to maintain the backup solution.
              5. how effective is the warning system in the event of a backup failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Kerat; December 7, 2016, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by devoir View Post
                The answer is HEFF NO!!!!!!

Read the fine print......

You no longer own the rights to you data.....it can be sold to others without your permission......
                Devoir
                can you show me that fine print? Curious to see it.

I use onedrive as well.

the other thing i do is use WHS 2011 still... and also backup that server to another external 2TB drive. That drive actually sits in fire-proof rated safe next to my server, that has USB passthrough built in.

Comment

Definitly NO

Why go to cloud storage... is it because your HD will fail over time and/or you loose data and photo's in case of fire?

Well cloud services come and go also and then your data is lost too. Handing over your private photo collection to the a stranger you met downtown in a bar isn't oke but they do the same in the cloud.

Harddrive are cheap these days. And since you have a good multi disk running just swap in a new disk, let it replicate and do the next disk till all disks are mirrored. Put those disks in a secure (storage) place, in your mom's house or whatever suits you. Just rotate those disks every 6 months or so and you are safe for the next 15 years or more.

Just my strategy.
                  - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
                  HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
                  PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

Show ME

Dropbox and other online companies have the "Fine Print" to sell you rights

https://www.neowin.net/news/dropbox-...-of-your-files

Click image for larger version

Name:	dropbox.png
Views:	1
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1188084

Cloud storage is great if you are comfortable with what you store.....

Just remember if you live in America.... you have the God Given Right to Chose.....

Devoir

Comment

I've never heard or seen any fine print like that when relating to OneDrive.

I would love to be enlightened if this exists.

OneDrive SSL tunnels to and from the servers.

THe servers are bitlocked so if you aren't authenticated, you are looking at an encrypted drive on the server farm side of things.

I find it hard to believe that OneDrive will be going anywhere soon and if it does, I still have local copies. I just don't see rotating drives for "hot" data like that being viable for something that can be taken care of automatically with the promise that it is protected.

When do you stop trusting? When do you start trusting? That's the real question that I'm sure will be struck here eventually.

I just say -- I need a redundant easy access copy so I choose OneDrive and pay for the 5tb so I can have office thrown around without fumbling for msdn keys, etc.

And I'm not oging into the server 2016 and backup server 2016 and how they are replicated on prem -- even with the onedrive mirrors for selected data..............

put it this way. If I share it with my family in some way, poof, it's on onedrive.

Comment

I use a bit of both.

I do quite a lot of work with MS Office applications at various locations and on different machines, so OneDrive makes my life much easier on that front although there is nothing really mission critical stored there.

At home I use a 4-bay Synology NAS to store local data, music etc and to cover fire, flood etc, this is synced securely with another NAS located at a friends business premises and likewise, he backs up his business data to my NAS.

Paul..

Comment

Originally posted by sooty View Post
                          I use a bit of both.

I do quite a lot of work with MS Office applications at various locations and on different machines, so OneDrive makes my life much easier on that front although there is nothing really mission critical stored there.

At home I use a 4-bay Synology NAS to store local data, music etc and to cover fire, flood etc, this is synced securely with another NAS located at a friends business premises and likewise, he backs up his business data to my NAS.

Paul..
                          What do you use to psync? Software wise....

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
                            What do you use to psync? Software wise....
                            Both NAS devices are identical Synology units so we use the built in SW to backup one device to the other and vice-versa.

Paul..

Comment

I have used both here. That said mostly care about pictures, docs and music. I do prefer my personal storage over cloud storage these days and use cloud storage for stuff I do not care about.

@Jeff; best testing is in the pudding. Try it and see how you like it.

Here do similar to use replicating my docs, pictures, music across 3-4 NAS boxes.

Much of this too is burned over to DVD / Blue Ray these days.

Originally put the old 8mm videos on SVCD (1990's) then DVD. That said I did go Christmas gifts of these old videos to family.

I like my personal music in the automobiles such that the music collection is replicated to the cars.
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                              X