Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Thanks guys,

After much deliberation I decided to get an AAG unit. I have ordered it from the USA but it will take 5-6 weeks to arrive, if it survives the trip! I know the accuracy of these stations may be slightly less than the Davis etc. But at least they are well documented, use a common interface, and seem relatively cheap (ran out to $260 Australian). I'm looking forward to getting it all up and running (-:

Cheers,

Scott.
    <!-- / message -->
    <!-- controls -->

Leave a comment:

• psampson
    replied
    Slamshed,

I have been using a WM918 for about three years for a similar usage that you need. I was lucky one year DSE had them half price on runout. You may find some on ebay or elsewhere. I have also been using Weather Display software with it as it has a serial port and is fully supported. So far have 3 years of data collected. Weather Display is an incredibly functional piece of software for the price with continuous free updates.

Using a couple of Simple HS scripts to read the 14 values from a comma seperated datafile that Weather display exports/writes to disk into 14 HS variables. (this is WD specific but works with any hardware connected to WD software)

An alternative, if you use Xap, is WD can send the values out with XaP and using the Xap plugin in HS they are imported directly to HS variables.

Either way,I then have the ability to trigger all sorts of stuff in HS based on temp and rain values etc. Works well.

cheers,

Phil

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thanks Andy,
    Ouch, that extra software cost makes it quite exxie! I'm now seriously considering one of the Lacrosse units as they are much cheaper. I'm not sure I would get the value out of the Davis unit )-: I will dig a bit deeper into the 1 wire solution as well, I have received a couple of samples from Dallas but not the sensor you used, I will have to try and wangle a couple of those as well. At the end of the day I will just be using the weather station to measure rain and keep track of temp & humidity so I suppose the cheapie will suffice. If I win the lotto I will lash out and get a vantage wireless <g>.

Cheers,

Scott.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hey Scott

The samples I ordered from Dallas were the DS18S20 - 1-Wire Parasite-Power Digital Thermometer. I think they sent me 2 free samples but it complimented the aag sensors I already had.

In regards to the Weather Wizard, check out this supplier in Melbourne. Its where I bought mine and the price has not moved in about 3 years. This package is a complete package which includes the rainfall collector. Note that the Weather Wizard does not do humidity or barometric pressure which is why I bought the 1-wire gear. The link is:

http://www.davisinstruments.com.au/p..._complete.html

Remember also that to interface to programs like Weather Display you will need to buy the Weatherlink interface which is where things start to get a bit pricey. This interface alone is AU$286. Here is the link:

http://www.davisinstruments.com.au/p...r_windows.html

Hope this helps

Cheers

Andy

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Andy,

Which sensors did you use from Dallas? I'm just about to shop around for a weather wizard, seems there are only a handful of suppliers here in Australia selling them! Did you just get the basic unit or did you get one of the complete systems?

Cheers,
    Scott.

Leave a comment:

• JeffCharger
    replied
    Slam, I also run the Weather Display software for a weather system. You will find a wealth of information on different weather system devices and 1-wire solutions by cruising their site. Here's the link http://www.weather-display.com/index.php

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I have been looking at a LaCrosse wireless weather station. Has anyone heard if they are any good?

Cheers,

Scott.
    <TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=main vAlign=bottom align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=pageHeading vAlign=top colSpan=2>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I use a Davis Weather Wizard 3 interfaced to homeseer using a program called Weather Display. Also, a range of AAG Electronica sensors and 1-wire temp sensors which I got as free samples from Dallas...great value!!

Cheers

Andy

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Those weather station units look pretty cool. Is anyone here in Oz using something similar? I would like to measure wind speed, direction, temp & humidity. A rain gauge woudl be nice too (-:

Cheers,
    Scozza.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thanks!! I had no idea Dallas gave out samples like that....very handy for what I needed. Thanks again

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    You may be able to get two sensors free from Dallas. I managed to get for free two of their DS18S20 1 wire digital Thermometer.
    Just go on their website for more details etc.
    www.maxim-ic.com
    You may also be able to order direct if you require more.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    1wire

hi all have a look at the dallas web site,i got a usb interface and a few sensors for nothing, niko

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    1-wire tangent US comments

I currently use TEMP05 & TEMP08.

Using TEMP05 for numerous Temperature & Temperature-Humidity sensors.
    Using TEMP08 for AAG Weather station, lightning detector, rain guage and a couple of temperature sensors.

Wish list device: 1-wire barometer (using a glass tube now - antique)

Currently have TEMP05 set up for inside of the house and TEMP08 for outside.

Also using MCSTemperature plugin for TEMP08 and a generic script for TEMP08 readings.

Also utilize a few Omni Pro II temperature/Humidity sensors in addition to 1-wire.

Been using 1-wire devices since I first read about them.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I have 4 temperature sensors which run very well and reliably.

I also currently have two 1-wire DS2405 switches connected to a temp08 driving relays controlling garden lighting ( located 45 metres away from the temp08 ). I use mcstemperature to control and monitor the whole thing. I am intending on adding another 15 or so DS2405 switches for further lighting control.

I have used "The Link" as well, and found that very fast for switching control.

I have noticed that the "Link" 1-wire adaptor has disappeared from the aag web site.

Leave a comment:

• rirvine
    replied
    Hey Andy,

Let me know how it goes, I've been meaning to have a look at the 1 wire stuff to do more temp sensor work. They also have a temp and light sensor which could come in handy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X