Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X10 Light dimmer

Hi ALL

I've got a few lights in the house I'd like to dim ie: Loungeroom, hallway and theater room. Where would you recommend I get the X10 dimmers from ?

Does the UK 220V stuff work out here ?

Thanks..Pete
    HS 2.2.0.11

UK is 240V/50Hertz as well, so the hardwired UK stuff will work here fine.

If you want "normal" looking wall siwtches, want local DIM control (from the switch as well as X10) then go for the DAIX10. (Not the DAX10, different beast, has no local control)
    EON3/Smarthome sell them for $211.20 but you can get them from the Netherlands cheaper, about $160 plus shipping. If you're buying one then it's probably better to get it from Smarthome. More than one, get it from the Netherlands.
    The URL is: http://shop.hal-europe.com/product_i...products_id=33

These have all the functions you need. From off to on and on to off these have a slight ramp to it which looks better than just straight off to on. The ramp rate isn't configurable though (which is a bummer) I don't know of any 240V/50H X10 modules that have configurable ramp rates.

If you use a DAIX10 you need a momentary switch. Clipsal and HPM have them, the clipsal part number is 30MBPR. They're known as a "bell-press" mechs, and have BELL stamped on them. You can special order them without bell written on them (part number is 30MBPR-BLANK) takes about 6 weeks to get them as they have to make them.

The sligh ramp rate, soft dim (Eg. Off to %50 without going to %100 and dimming down to %50 like lamp modules) is nice. Pre-dim support is nice where you send a command to them so next time you push the switch it dims to whatever you said. Eg After 11pm pre-dim to %50 so if you get up in the middle of the night, switch on the light it's not blinding you at %100, then 7am send pre-dim %100 so during the day if you turn it on it'll go to %100. They have 64 Scene support, so you can "group" them. Eg When I finally finish deploying them in my house I'll have a Scene for the Whole House, so I can send "G10 Dim to %50" and every light in the house will go to %50 at the exact same time rather than having to send 20 X10 commands, one to each device to tell it what to do as I'll put every light in the G10 Sence.

I use them and they work great, but like everything else for US, they're not cheap. Just tell Homeseer they are "Leviton DIM" devices so they get sent the correct commands.

Ross.

Comment

Originally posted by rirvine
      UK is 240V/50Hertz as well, so the hardwired UK stuff will work here fine.

If you want "normal" looking wall siwtches, want local DIM control (from the switch as well as X10) then go for the DAIX10. (Not the DAX10, different beast, has no local control)
      EON3/Smarthome sell them for $211.20 but you can get them from the Netherlands cheaper, about $160 plus shipping. If you're buying one then it's probably better to get it from Smarthome. More than one, get it from the Netherlands.
      The URL is: http://shop.hal-europe.com/product_i...products_id=33

These have all the functions you need. From off to on and on to off these have a slight ramp to it which looks better than just straight off to on. The ramp rate isn't configurable though (which is a bummer) I don't know of any 240V/50H X10 modules that have configurable ramp rates.

If you use a DAIX10 you need a momentary switch. Clipsal and HPM have them, the clipsal part number is 30MBPR. They're known as a "bell-press" mechs, and have BELL stamped on them. You can special order them without bell written on them (part number is 30MBPR-BLANK) takes about 6 weeks to get them as they have to make them.

The sligh ramp rate, soft dim (Eg. Off to %50 without going to %100 and dimming down to %50 like lamp modules) is nice. Pre-dim support is nice where you send a command to them so next time you push the switch it dims to whatever you said. Eg After 11pm pre-dim to %50 so if you get up in the middle of the night, switch on the light it's not blinding you at %100, then 7am send pre-dim %100 so during the day if you turn it on it'll go to %100. They have 64 Scene support, so you can "group" them. Eg When I finally finish deploying them in my house I'll have a Scene for the Whole House, so I can send "G10 Dim to %50" and every light in the house will go to %50 at the exact same time rather than having to send 20 X10 commands, one to each device to tell it what to do as I'll put every light in the G10 Sence.

I use them and they work great, but like everything else for US, they're not cheap. Just tell Homeseer they are "Leviton DIM" devices so they get sent the correct commands.

Ross.
      Thanks for the info Ross.. I got into a little retail therapy last night, I bought a few bits from Home Theater Heaven last night. The bayonet fittings are $22, the power socket dimmer is $27. Also the Home theater kit with the serial/USB interface is down to $100, from a ridiculous price of $180...My first dabble into x10....

Cheers..Pete
      HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

switches

clipsal australia has push button and rocker type momentary switches. all electrical holesalers have them and they have nothing written on them unless u request a special make,niko

Comment

Hi Niko! Good to see another aussie around!
          The Push Button Bell presses (30MBP, or 30MBPN if you what neo ones) don't have anything writing on them. The momentary rockers (30MPBR) do have "Bell" on it. If you order the push buttons, you can use the normal part numbers. If you want a bell press rocker you need to special order part number 30MBPR-BLANK to not have bell written on them.

For me, the push buttons didn't feel right. They were very hard to push and I couldn't see myself using these all the time. The Rockers feel a little better, however they are still very stiff, but I'm getting used to them.

Ross.

p.s Here's a link to the PDF which has the 30 series switch mech's in it. For momentary switch you don't have a great choice.
          http://www.clipsal.com/trade/__data/page/81/A99.pdf

Comment

Hi All,

I find that the HPM momentary mechanisms are a lot softer to use compared to the Clipsal ones - however the only problem is that they don't fit into a Clipsal back plate, so you'll need the HPM back plates as well.

Just to let you know, Envious Technology are a new company supplying the X10 modules available to Australia/New Zealand, including HomeSeer software! We plan on adding more and more of the HomeSeer plug-ins etc over the coming weeks. Check out our site at www.envioustechnology.com.au

Cheers!

Comment

PS - We have both Clipsal and HPM momentary switches available, see the Home Control > Accessories category.

Comment

Working...
              X