X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elk-m1 and lighting

Hi Guys,

I am in the process of building a home, and I would like to get into HA,
    my first task is to get the whole house wired ready for security, lighting, audio and theatre. Now I have decided to use the elk-m1 for security and was wondering what type of lighting solutions are available in AUS that can work with the m1

I am hoping to get something that broadcasts the status back to the m1 so that if i choose to use the light switches the m1 will know about it...

I have been searching the web for a while and insteon and zwave seem awesome but not available in AUS

Thanks
    Joe

Joe

As per the PM, I have an X10 interface hanging off my ELK and use that to control the study and underbench kitchn light. There are a few here in AU that use x10 extensively and like it. Personally I've jsut found it to "touchy" and dont want to bother with filters all over the place.

I've used an ELEXOL I/O board with a plugin from PSAMPSON and use the relays to turn the lights on and off. Equally you can get the ELK to do this also.

Cheers..Pete
    HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Joe

As per the PM, I have an X10 interface hanging off my ELK and use that to control the study and underbench kitchn light. There are a few here in AU that use x10 extensively and like it. Personally I've jsut found it to "touchy" and dont want to bother with filters all over the place.

I've used an ELEXOL I/O board with a plugin from PSAMPSON and use the relays to turn the lights on and off. Equally you can get the ELK to do this also.

Cheers..Pete
      HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Thanks for the reply,

Just having a quick look around, has anyone played with the c-bus wireless stuff?

It would be nice to be able to use this with the elk-m1

Cheers
        Joe

Comment

Joe

Yes C-BUS works perfectly with the ELK. Ness have a V2 interface for AU. If you're going c-bus, its going to be VERY $$$$$$..

Cheers..Pete
          HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

I've been looking at what to do with lighting as well. I've even purchased a few CBUS bits to plays with (Dimmer, Wall switches, Ethernet Interface).
            If I manage to get the money together I'll probably go with CBUS. Not because it's the best thing on earth, but because we don't have much choice in oz! I have quite a few X10 micromodules (Original ACT, and DAIX modules), but these are starting to fail. The relay modules all fail in the same way, you can turn them on, but you can't turn them off. The relay must wear out. To turn it off you have to turn it on again (even though it's already on), then turn it off. It must un-stick the relay.

CBUS is great as it's hard wired, so you should never miss a command, but it's very $$$. It's also very old technology. One of the biggest problems I have with CBUS is the fact that you cannot upgrade the firmware on anything. So if there is a new feature/fix added to the wall switches for example, the way you get that fix is to buy the new switches with the fix and replace every single switch. It's also very $$$ did I mention that already?
            The config tool (toolbox) is quite good, c-gate which is the tcpip interface to cbus is also quite good and well documented.

There are a lot of good things about CBUS but it is still very much "old school" in how it works and how the products are made/supported (no field upgradeable firmware for one).

The wireless switches are ... Humm... interesting, is the best word to use. They are very limited in product range and functionality. They don't require a neutral wire, so they can slot into just about any existing light switch which is a good thing. They are "thick", which means you would normally have a small hole in the wall where the switch mech's go inside the wall. With the cbus wireless stuff you need to make that hole almost the size of the switch plate.

If you want to have a good read of the manuals, look at the software go to here:
            http://www2.clipsal.com/cis/technical/technical_support
            You can use the configuration software (toolbox) totally offline from a cbus network, so you can see all the different types of a cbus modules and what functionality they have.

My personal opinion is, if you're going to use CBUS, you might as well use the hardwired stuff. Oh, and if you do go the hardwired route, you want to get 4 channel dimmers, not 8 channel ones (even though it'll cost you more) as you only have 4 "global group" addresses in the 4 and 8 channel modules.

If you have any CBUS questions, feel free to contact me and I’ll try and answer them. I’m not a cbus expert, but I have been playing with it for about 6-8 months to see what it can and can’t do.

Regards,

Ross.

Comment

ELK Interface

Where can I find the Interface from Ness and would it allow me to control CBUS from within HomeSeer ?

Comment

Any NESS dealer will be able to get you the interface. Just make sure it's the newer version 2.0 of the Interface. Although they should all be version 2 by now.

Ross.

Comment

Working...
                X