No announcement yet.

Way2Call (or other modem) in Austalia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way2Call (or other modem) in Austalia?

Anyone using a way2call in australia?
    Have a HS PCI Voicemail and while it's pretty good, the lack of hang-up detection is a REAL pain. Nothing like listening to a 20 seconds voicemail then 2 minutes of "beep beep beep"

Anyone found a good local modem to works?

Regards,

Ross.

Ross,

I'd argue that nothing is going to work well. The only sure fire way to detect a hang-up is if the phone company provides a CPC (Called Party Connect?) signal. The CPC signal I believe the modem can use, but in most cases it is not provided. The software and hardware silence detection is your best defence against this, and after some adjustment I have it working VERY well for me. (I am using the Way2Call now though.) The other factor is how long it takes before the beep-beep-beep starts happening after the other end has hung-up. If it happens very quickly, then you may be out of luck, but if there is some time before it happens, then adjusting the silence threshold and time should allow you to get it working.
    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Hey Rick,

We have a problem in Australia. The "beep beep beep" starts straight away as soon as the calling party hangs up. So you always get voicemails the length of the maximum message length. You get 20 seconds of message and 1.5 minutes of "beep beep beep". This is a very constant sounds, could HSPhone pick up the "beep beep" and detect "Oh... ok.. the phone has hungup, I'll drop the call now".??

Thanks,

Ross.

Comment

I too would like to add my weight behind a request for hang up support for Australian phon system.

Im also using HSP and the lack of support for this is very frustrating.

Regards

David

Comment

Ross/David,

The Way2Call was never tested/designed for use in Australia that I am aware of. If it was, then yes we can go back to the manufacturer and ask them about better hang-up detection. I believe however that it is a fact that the Australian phone system happens to be compatible with the North American one that it is being used there without actually being engineered for there.

HSPhone cannot realistically detect this noise because there are no recognition (speech or sound) engines running while the recording is being made. At best we could see if it is possible to detect it after the recording is done and truncate it off, but that can be very complex.

Please submit a HomeSeer Phone Feature Request at the helpdesk and we will see if we can find a way to get something working in the future. You may also wish to suggest this to Way2Call from their website (www.way2call.com) since it appears other than this item, the device is working for you and so it sounds like an easy fix to pick up support for another country/continent to add to their support list.
          Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

David K,
            do you have the info on your changes made to get your Ultraview status page to work on IIS, if so I would be grateful to view these, Trying to get it running on IIS.
            Thanks...

Comment

Just tried to email way2call to see if they have a distributor in Australia with the hope I can get one with a return policy if it doesn't work correctly. However:
              ----- Transcript of session follows -----
              ... while talking to localhost:
              >>> DATA
              <<< 452 4.2.2 Over quota
              <way07@actcom.co.il>... Deferred: 452 4.2.2 Over quota
              Message could not be delivered for 1 day
              Message will be deleted from queue

These guys clean out their mail or what?

Ross.

Comment

Update for everyone.

I bought a way2call hi-phone from HS. After shipping and import duty, etc expect to pay about $600 Oz. There are no distributors in Australia that I could find and also contacted way2call themselves who said there were none in Australia.
                Obviously ships with a US power supply, I just purchased a 12DV DC adapter from Dick Smith.

It's only 24 hours old (installed) and so far, everything's working. CID is fine, can "ring" internal phones (which is pretty cool), Muting the rings until it has CID is also cool (So the Phone Number displays on my TV's before the phone rings, rather than showing up on the 3rd ring) and after a little hickup, hangup detection works (using hsphone silence detection). The Hi-Phone is not detecting the current drop when the calling party hangs up, but the silence detection in HSP uses the hiphone's voice detection. So "beep beep" is not classed as "voice" by the hi-phone so hangup detection works this way. So it's really "voice detection" rather than silence detection which is great. Finally I can use the HSPhone for messages as we no longer get 10 seconds of message and 50 seconds of "beep beep.

Sound quality is a lot better than the PCI Modem as well.

I've been in contact with way2call about a few things and they seem very helpful. I now have the SDK which lists the function calls and debugging tools so I understand how it all works and how to debug it (Eg it's how I found out how the silence detection works).

So the question of "Will the Hi-phone work in Australia" has been solved. The answer is "Yes".

So order away!

Regards,

Ross.

Comment

Hi Ross,

Good to see all working. Cant justify this modem, but interested in the Homeseer PCI. Where did you get yours? And have ya still got it?? and ya wanna sell it???

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rirvine:
                  Update for everyone.

I bought a way2call hi-phone from HS. After shipping and import duty, etc expect to pay about $600 Oz. There are no distributors in Australia that I could find and also contacted way2call themselves who said there were none in Australia.
                  Obviously ships with a US power supply, I just purchased a 12DV DC adapter from Dick Smith.

It's only 24 hours old (installed) and so far, everything's working. CID is fine, can "ring" internal phones (which is pretty cool), Muting the rings until it has CID is also cool (So the Phone Number displays on my TV's before the phone rings, rather than showing up on the 3rd ring) and after a little hickup, hangup detection works (using hsphone silence detection). The Hi-Phone is not detecting the current drop when the calling party hangs up, but the silence detection in HSP uses the hiphone's voice detection. So "beep beep" is not classed as "voice" by the hi-phone so hangup detection works this way. So it's really "voice detection" rather than silence detection which is great. Finally I can use the HSPhone for messages as we no longer get 10 seconds of message and 50 seconds of "beep beep.

Sound quality is a lot better than the PCI Modem as well.

I've been in contact with way2call about a few things and they seem very helpful. I now have the SDK which lists the function calls and debugging tools so I understand how it all works and how to debug it (Eg it's how I found out how the silence detection works).

So the question of "Will the Hi-phone work in Australia" has been solved. The answer is "Yes".

So order away!

Regards,

Ross. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

For all,

One small issue with the way2call is it doesn't present "private numbers" to HSPhone as a "Private Number". HSP doesn't register the call at all, so you have no idea if a private caller has called as it's not logged anywhere.

Now on to Moby,

I got my PCI modem from HomeSeer directly when I first purchased HS/HSP and the modem at the end of last year. I still have it and it's still plugged into my HS machine (just not used by HSP). I'm afraid I'm going to keep it, in case something happens to the Hi-Phone at least I'll be able to use the PCI modem again while I get the Hi-Phone fixed.

Sorry...

Ross.

Comment

Hi Ross,
                      No probs. HS dont have the modem in stock at the moment.
                      All I really want at the moment is caller ID. Control via internal phone would be great, but not critical.
                      I bought an internal voice modem with Conexant chipset. Answers the phone OK, takes messages, etc, but HSP doesnt recognize caller ID

Anyone using PCI modem in Oz that recognises caller ID with HSP? If so, what model ya got??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rirvine:
                      Now on to Moby,

I got my PCI modem from HomeSeer directly when I first purchased HS/HSP and the modem at the end of last year. I still have it and it's still plugged into my HS machine (just not used by HSP). I'm afraid I'm going to keep it, in case something happens to the Hi-Phone at least I'll be able to use the PCI modem again while I get the Hi-Phone fixed.

Sorry...

Ross. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Working...
                      X