Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automation Dismal in Australia

Hello All,

Just wanted to find out a little bit more about Automation options in Australia. I have started off with HomeSeer Pro, as well as a handfull of X10 modules (2 light dimmers, 2 appliance controllers, remotes & testing 2 X10-HK wall switches).

Its a brilliant concept and I am really keen to get into it more, however as I am about to buy / build a new house I need to find out the various options and keep it within budget. The things i notice is that in comparison to USA the Australian region really has a lack of quality affordable devices that can be used to automate a house. At the moment the things i can think of are:

X10 - can be unreliable, but the cheapest, no 2 way comms.

PLCBUS - More expensive than X10, 2 way comms but not unless you poll the devices through a script or something else.

CBUS - Way to expensive, with controllers for lights being 500+

Z-Wave - Again one of the more expensive options, with a controller being ~ $130 and appliance controllers being ~$100 each as compared to X10 and others.

There is also Zigbee but i have not really noticed much in the way of that technology. Initially I think i will look at automating the lights as well as some select appliances and decided to put in some USA X-10 RF modules (due to cost, look at a CM19A to recieve / send, and door buttons, sensors, wall switches, window / reed switches etc) At least that brings the cost down, Where i was I have not had any problems with interfearance but I am thinking in the new place I may have to put in a filter at the switch board since its a housing estate.

The RF I don't think I should have to much trouble with, firstly its low power and also on a diff frequency to the X10 Australian stuff so hopefully that should be fine.

Anyways enough of a rant about the lack of affordable Automation gear, which I believe is hampering the uptake of automation in Australia, what i wanted to find out is what other people are using in Australia, system diagrams (if possible) and their thoughts on the various technologies.

I am thinking so far the PLCBUS seams to be out ahead (just slightly) in terms of cost, semi-2-way communication and the likes. As it is partly important for me to be able to make an action depending on if the light is on or off.

Thanks all for the help!, its fantastic to have such an active group!
    HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Hi Travish,

Was face with the same choice and chose PLCBUS. Happy so far with it.

Using also Z-Wave sensors (motion etc).

Cheers,
    Jan

Comment

Yep, 2 months on and still no real progress.

I'm still playing with some Z-Wave stuff - which works, but needs more attention before use in a house. My new house will be built in 4 months, so I'll be very much hoping some solid progress on Z-Wave gear by then.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwumm View Post
        Yep, 2 months on and still no real progress.

I'm still playing with some Z-Wave stuff - which works, but needs more attention before use in a house. My new house will be built in 4 months, so I'll be very much hoping some solid progress on Z-Wave gear by then.
        Wow, if your "area" makes significant progress in 4 months your real lucky. It took 10 years for real progress in the States before we finally got a competitor to X10 and then it still taking a long time to get all the X10 replacement parts in all the other protocols.
        -Rupp
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X