1-Wire Weather Instrument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1-Wire Weather Instrument

I've just bought one of these - http://www.aagelectronica.com/aag/en-us/pg_10.html#Q3 from AAG in the States.

The cable fitted to it is a coiled lead terminating in a 9 pin serial plug. Which is great while testing it here at my desk but I now want to mount it outside somewhere - probably on the roof or a gable end.

Has anyone else any experience of cabling one of these? Did you just use something like CAT5, remove the coiled lead and still use the serial plug?

Don't suppose there's any way of doing it wirelessly is there??
    Malcolm

Welcome to the world of 1-Wire. You might want to read the following article about cabling 1-Wire busses: 1-Wire App Note

My personal recommendation is to use CAT-5 cable, using one pair for the 1-wire bus (DQ) and ground. Use a second pair to transmit power over the bus if you wish to use "local" powering for any additional sensors. The AAG weather station does not use local powering though.

Mitch
    http://www.midondesign.com

Comment

There is a wireless temperature sensor available that is supported by the ACRF plug-in at www.rfxcom.com
      Within a few weeks it is expected that a RF humidity sensor is available too.

Bert

Comment

Thanks Mitch - I already have a network of DS1820's (back to a Temp05) over CAT5. The thought of running another run of CAT5 all the way to the roof is not inspiring me at the moment! Thanks for the useful link.
        Malcolm

Comment

Originally posted by b_weijenberg
          There is a wireless temperature sensor available that is supported by the ACRF plug-in at www.rfxcom.com
          Within a few weeks it is expected that a RF humidity sensor is available too.

Bert
          these are neat Bert - wish i'd seen them some time ago. They talk back to a W800 as well - even better! I'll keep an eye on this if other sensors are on their way. Thanks.
          Malcolm

Comment

Bert

from what I've now read it looks as though the ACRF plug-in just replaces the W800 I use just now?

Also the RFXCOM temp sensors should be capable of being read by my mcsTemperature plug-in which currently reads my DS1820's. Is that right too?

I can feel the need to get my wallet out again coming on...
            Malcolm

Comment

Malcolm,
              The ACRF plug-in replaces the W800 plug-in and has useful extensions.
              Like:
              - shadow devices
              - up to 4 receivers can be connected at the same time (MR26 - W800 - RFXcom)
              - support of RFXCom 48 bits receiver (reads full Digimax packet)
              - support of RFXSensor and Digimax (also with a W800 receiver)
              - and other improvements.

I don't think the RFXSensor is supported by the mcsTemperature plug-in but I'm not sure because I don't know what the input can be to this plug-in.
              The RFXSensor has connected 1 or 2 DS1820 temperature sensors and the 1-Wire data is converted to a dedicated RF protocol (see the document on the www.rfxcom.com download page) that can be handled by the ACRF plug-in. Within a few weeks the RFXSensor will also support the DS2438 as a temperature sensor and an optional Humidity sensor can be connected.

Bert

Comment

MalcolmS Thinking off getting some 1-wire weather station stuff.
                Just wondering how you are getting on with it and if you think it is worth it?

Comment

I have a network of 5 hard wired temp sensors and now three RFXCOM wireless sensors as well as the AAG weather station. It's one of these HA things that I'd be hard pushed to say I get best use out of though! :-) It started more as an experiment than anything else. I have made some use of the readings though. I use mcsTemperature (works fine with the RFXCOM sensors Bert) to log the data and I have played with my central heating and hot water timings and temperatures as a result of it (in an attempt to save money). I also use the temperature reading from outside the house in the winter to determine if I need to get a move on in the morning to scrape the car windscreen! I've also used it to monitor the temp in my node zero.

HTH

Malcolm
                  Malcolm

Comment

Working...
                  X