Annouced Today - Incandesent Lamps Banned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annouced Today - Incandesent Lamps Banned

Firstly I apologise if you have read this before, I have cross posted it in three forums, sorry Tink.

In Australia they had a bit of warning, however announced today Europe, and yes that does include the UK on this occasion, will completely ban incandescent lights, we have to switch to "Energy Saving Lamps"

Tested one this evening and it is completely uncontrollable, apart from On and OFF, but the current Light modules. In fact I dimmed it to 10% and it still remained at the same light level.

As I can reduce the voltage so low I struggle to see how even the manufactures of X10 product can handle this one.

I suppose we could go for 12/24V lighting.
    sigpic
    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"
    HomeSeer 3 V 3.0.0.318 with ALEXA (AKA Amazon Echo)
    BL Radar V2.0.217; BLRF V2.0.85.0; HS Touch V3.0.0.1034 X10 V3.0.0.42; PHLocation V3.0.0.38; Zwave V3.0.1.110; X10 V3.0.0.42
    BLBackup V2.0.39;ImperiHome3.0.0.20 All on Windows XP Pro

Which type of "energy saving lamps" have you tested? Is this an LED lamp? My experience with these is that they are on or off in the current generation because they use a simple switching DC-DC converter. That is not to say that LEDs can't be dimmed, its just the current don't support it. It really shouldn't be that tough to make these bulbs dimmable, and I bet you'll see these appear now. Dimmable fluorescents have been out for many years now.

Comment

Difficult tot say, it calls itself a "ECO-LAMP" CE approved!
      sigpic
      A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"
      BL Radar V2.0.217; BLRF V2.0.85.0; HS Touch V3.0.0.1034 X10 V3.0.0.42; PHLocation V3.0.0.38; Zwave V3.0.1.110; X10 V3.0.0.42

Comment

I was concerned about this when I read the post as I was under the impression that these lamps where non-dimamble too. Also the standard models are expensive enough, how much for an 'superior' model with dimming capability?

Comment

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Dimming LEDs

The best way to dim LEDs is by Pulse With.. Works well but is costly to imperment...

Comment

Gogs,
                Ain't it great how we get to vote on these things?

Well they know what's best for us and that's why we cherish them so...

~Bill

Comment

http://www.megamanuk.com/technology/dors.php

Comment

Osram has an dimmable energy saving lamp: http://www.osram.com/osram_com/Profe...UX_EL_DIM.html

Comment

I'm sure this is coming to the U.S. soon. If you look around you can find some pretty interesting info on CFs. I like them some some things but environmentally friendly they are not. The energy and toxic chemicals needed to make one pretty much makes the CO emitted by the power plant running the old incandescent look clean in comparison. 5mg of mercury per each 25 watts of input power is the standard amount per bulb. If my calculations are right a single 25w bulb would contaminate 66 cubic meters of soil. We have already had instances where a broken bulb required closing rooms and thousands of dollars in "environmental cleanup". Funny considering that businesses have been using tube fluorescents for many years and they break all the time without causing this sort of hoopla.

Permanent ballast fluorescent light fixtures are a much better alternative. I would love actual white LEDs to become a reality. The ones we have now are actually IR leds that pump energy into a phosphor layer that then emits a blue-white light with a bunch of IR for good measure. This is much less efficient than a true LED.

Just annoyed, more politicians deciding something before having a reality check.

Jon

Originally posted by lunkan View Post
                      Osram has an dimmable energy saving lamp: http://www.osram.com/osram_com/Profe...UX_EL_DIM.html
                      Jon Ort
                      JonOrt@The--Orts.com
                      (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Ouch... this could get expensive if your actually forced to do a cleanup of mercury every time you break a bulb.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/f...4-b62dee548fda
                        Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

I have tried a few home and commercial LED bulbs and I'm impressed, but unfortunately they didn't dim.

LEDs are current controlled devices. To make them dim or bright you vary their current, and their voltage drop stays relatively constant. The current can be quite high, but the voltage low. To get them to work on 120V, most I've seen use a switching power supply. This works, and is relatively cheap, but by design, it maintains current constant, because again, LEDs are current devices.

A "dimmer" is usually a triac device that chops out part of a 120V sine wave to dim a bulb. Thats great and it works fine for an incandescent bulb, but when it feeds a switching power supply, the two don't work together. The switching power supply in the LED bulb attempts to maintain the LED current all it can, but when the triac duty cycle is too short, it gives up and the LED bulb goes black. So the LED bulb has two states, regulated (on) and unregulated (off). This isn't to say that an LED can't be dimmed, and they definitely can, it just can't be done with the current design. In the future, their may be dimmer/LED bulb combinations that offer great dimming.

Once good cheap LED lights are available, dimmers should follow.

Comment

I have tried to track down the Osram one, or in fact anyone which will dim, in the UK with no luck.

Anyone know of a supplier?
                            sigpic

Comment

I Emailed this company www.lightbulbs-direct.com
                              who stock osram stuff in the UK and got this reply.

Dear James,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Contrary to what the Osram site may or may not say, they have irritatingly delayed and delayed the release of this product as it was originally available in February and now there is no release date. This is the only dimmable energy saver of its kind so far, so I'm afraid we'll all just have to wait.

Thanks and best regards,

Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X