EIB/KNX - an overlooked standard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EIB/KNX - an overlooked standard?

Anyone done anything with any of this stuff?

http://www.eibshop.co.uk/catalog/default.asp

There are loads of suppliers and loads of bits of kit - one of the guys at work is looking at http://www.gira.com/en/

Don't think there is a HS interface yet but I might be tempted - this looks good and - we don't have to depend on the US for kit

Thoughts?

Malarcy

Claims to be an open protocol, but I can't figure out if this is cbus, or something else. I hate flash sites - why do so many Euro companies insist on putting together a flash site that uses half the screen and is so hard to navigate?

Anyway, I do recall coming across these pages before, but not being able to find details of what the protocol was and seeing that it would be expensive just to evaluate, plus the fact that you have to cable for it, I decided to give it a miss, even though their selection of products does look impressive in range and functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuego View Post
      Claims to be an open protocol, but I can't figure out if this is cbus, or something else. I hate flash sites - why do so many Euro companies insist on putting together a flash site that uses half the screen and is so hard to navigate?

Anyway, I do recall coming across these pages before, but not being able to find details of what the protocol was and seeing that it would be expensive just to evaluate, plus the fact that you have to cable for it, I decided to give it a miss, even though their selection of products does look impressive in range and functionality.

It's apparently not cbus - but you do have to wire for it - I am thinking that some of the motion sensors, switches and wall "controllers" might be a useful addition to a setup, but I think the startup costs are high.

Malarcy

Comment

Knx

Originally posted by Malarcy View Post
        It's apparently not cbus - but you do have to wire for it - I am thinking that some of the motion sensors, switches and wall "controllers" might be a useful addition to a setup, but I think the startup costs are high.

Malarcy
        KNX is the not-so-new name for EIB European Installation Bus, I think the name was changed partly as it is now a worldwide standard ISO/IEC 14543 as well as European Standard CENELEC EN 50090 and CEN EN 13321-1 and US Standard ANSI/ASHRAE 135. Unlike CBUS which is a proprietary standard of Australian company Clipsal, now owned by Schneider Electric.

The post stating that it has to be cabled isn't strictly true, there are three versions which can all coexist and communicate via gateways, there is the main cabled bus version, a wireless version and also a mains borne carrier version which uses existing mains cabling, a bit like X10. However, product for the latter two options is in the minority by a very long way. There are also gateways to other communications protocols such as IP.

There is a vast product range available covering just about any kind of building systems management and automation you could possibly imagine, from quality manufacturers (mainly european) such as Siemens, ABB, Gira, Jung to name but a few. It is all quality kit and very stylish when it comes to wall switches and touch panels, unlike the rather cheap and tasteless X10 and Z wave kit from the States, but it does come at a cost, as they say, you pays your money and you takes your choice!

The system is very scaleable and huge building projects all across europe utilise KNX/EIB as their building management system, such as the new Terminal 5 at London's Heathrow airport and The British Library in London.

There are also two levels of complexity of configuration for equipment, a simple version which is relatively easy to configure and is suitable/aimed at electricians and possibly DIY and then a version which is far more configurable aimed at professional integrators, both require computer software (ETS) for configuration but the more complex range requires a more expensive licence to unlock the advanced features of ETS (Version 4 just released Oct.2010) which is only available to certified integrators, a list of whom can be found on the KNX site.

Check out www.knx.org

Regards

J.S.Lewis
        Last edited by lewisjsuk; November 27th, 2010, 12:15 PM.

Comment

So what we need now is to have somebody at www.knx.org make us a EIB/KNX plugin for HomeSeer!
          HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
          Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
          on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
          WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

KNX is amazing, I'm using a lot down here in Brazil, its a lot different from Zwave, Europe use a lot and in the future USA will need to use, so amazing. Work flawless.

Homeseer should make a interface if possible, will be a great colaboration.

KNX works decentralized, differente from Zwave.

Checkout at KNX.org.

Rodrigo Morejon
            Morejon Smart House

Comment

Rodrigo,

Curious about the KNX standards and your use of it there in Brazil?

I have only heard and read about it but do not know the KNX global footprint.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.4X
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.4X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Working...
              X