using Z-Wave in Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using Z-Wave in Europe

I have read a little on Z-Wave and possibly missed the most important bits.
    It would appear that for a retrofit environment (which mine is) Z-Wave is the most suitable, though unfortunately not available in Europe. Can someone explain why the use of the US version is not a viable option? I guess that the band these work at may not be legal or may well interfere with other appliances??? But assume that cannot be the only reason.

US Z-Wave modules do control 110V appliances and lights.

If you have 110V 60Hz in your home, you may use US ZWave. The only problem would be illegal use of the US RF band ...

However, ZWave has been so slow to start here, that many are now moving to PLCBUS as an alternative. Many European domotic shops are now selling the PLCBUS modules.
    --
    stipus

Comment

That makes sense as to why they are not being used, however given they have successfully produced product for the European market it seems strange that they would stop providing given there is demand.

Comment

There is demand for a complete solution. 2 early modules and a buggy interface do not make it.
        --
        stipus

Comment

Originally posted by stipus View Post
          There is demand for a complete solution. 2 early modules and a buggy interface do not make it.
          I am not agree with you. Right now it is a big selection of European Z-Wave hardware available: http://www.smarthus.info/index.php?cPath=1_46
          Also here is a nice GUI/controller with a 7" Touch display: http://ehweb.electronichousekeeper.c.../Features.aspx
          PLCBUS are not and never will be a real alternative to Z-Wave.

Comment

I didn't see these new modules. For a while only the 2 ACT lamp and appliance modules where available.
            --
            stipus

Comment

Act now have a new usb controller ZCU201 also 2 Wire wall switches

Comment

That's very good news for Europe.

It took several years, but at least we now have a good choice of technology: ZWave vs PLCBUS for cheap Home-Automation, and EIB/KNX for professional HA.

We are waiting for the Z-Troller now
                --
                stipus

Comment

This is great news and an excellent alternative, not sure if you can answer the following but appreciate any advice:
                  Have you already soyrced one of these?
                  They look different from the Zwave controllers I've seen
                  elsewhere so assume this comany, ACT, are the manufacturer?
                  Have others here bought from them or do they operate through a distributor?
                  The product is defined as "Beta" I understand why but, being a novice, is this likely to cause me major problems?
                  Any idea on their stock situation, do they actiually have any?
                  Many thanks

Comment

I have just ordered one of the new usb units direct from act who are the manufactures. Lets automate stock some Z-wave stuff from act but not sure if they have new controller maybe worth an e-mail.
                    I think the unit is out of beta testing now but not sure, the old unit is not sold anymore so I guess it must be, also I can't get my original USB unit to work with Ztool it may have outdated firmware! (I am awaiting a reply from HS on this)
                    I will report back on how it performs.

Jim

Comment

Hi,

Did you get the Z Wave kit from the US?

Comment

I have purchased my resent stuff direct from ACT in the US.
                        I recieved my new USB controller but I am having a couple of isues with Z-Tool.
                        It will not learn from the remote in Z tool.

I would like to use the new usb controller as a primary with Z-Tool

I can't add my units to the new controller without reseting each unit!
                        If I reset each unit then I have to reconfigure every event assotiated with that unit! I have 50+ units and each unit has between 10 and 20 events assosiated with so well over 500 events would need to be edited to make the switch to Z-Tool and new controler.

There must be a better way anyone?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim'll View Post
                          Act now have a new usb controller ZCU201 also 2 Wire wall switches

OK getting excited now - the smarthaus products look interesting - lots of battery powered switches and a few nice looking controllers. Does anyone know who the manufacturers are?

Does anyone have any links to the ACT Wall switches?

What with this and Bert about to give us HOMEEASY (www.homeeasy.eu) control seems we have some alternatives in the UK at last.

Malarcy

Comment

Originally posted by Jim'll View Post
                            I can't add my units to the new controller without reseting each unit!
                            that's what I had to do too - but I've only 25 units and less associations. Phil Kingery at ACT was really helpful for me during the beta test. Have you tried contacting him?

Malcolm
                            Malcolm

Comment

Originally posted by MalcolmS View Post
                              that's what I had to do too - but I've only 25 units and less associations. Phil Kingery at ACT was really helpful for me during the beta test. Have you tried contacting him?

Malcolm
                              Yes Phil has been very helpfull. I have been able to copy from my remote to my new controller without reseting and for some reason (I am not sure how) the usb controller is now the primary! I can now use Z-tool to add and remove nodes and I have managed to finally remove old dead devices/nodes. so all sorted! :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X