Bargain Oregon Weight Scales / ACRF2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bargain Oregon Weight Scales / ACRF2

For those in the UK - especially if you have resolved to participate in the post-Christmas weight-losing effort ....... at www.currys.co.ukwww.bwired.nl and put everyone's current weight on a public web site! I'm just waiting for my 1D update.

John Downe

Hi,

Sounds interesting, also thanks for the link(s).

I haven't a clue what ACRF2 is but I'll read up on it in the morning.

Hooking all this up to Homeseer? will this be relatively easy or hard?

Cheers

Comment

Martin, no problem. ACRF and the about-to-be-released ACRF2 is a HomeSeer plugin that provides a very powerful way to receive all sorts of radio frequency (RF) signals into your HomeSeer system - security devices, X10 remote controls, Oregon Scientific (OS) temperature/weather sensors etc - one of the new devices supported in ACRF2 is the OS BWR102 scales and making it work and record the weight readngs should be quite straightforward (when I have my updated RFXCOM receiver(a prerequisite for this device support) I'll know for sure).
      The scales isn't exactly a mainstream home automation application but it could be quite fun if it all works - although not all members of the family nor unsuspecting guests might agree!

John Downe

Comment

so this scale talks via rf and the acrf2 plugin will see it?

it will report on this stuff?

could you set a virtual device for the scale and have it get the weight and log it?

hmmmm

wonder if this would work in the us too......
        that would be cool as I am currently trying to loose weight and this would be cool!!!!!
        HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Telefragger - Yes, but watch out as RFXCOM receiver for the US doesn't yet support the BWR102 as I understand the situation - only in Europe so far. I assume that once the ACRF2/RFXCOM all setup correctly the weight readings will be saved in HS just like any other Oregon sensor.

John Downe

Comment

well I have the w800 antennea.. not the rfxcomm....

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

John

Thanks for the info, I've just been reading a couple of threads aswell. ACRF and RFXCOM seems pretty nifty. I can see this Home Automation lark becoming expensive.

Do you have a method in mind for it to differetiate between different people?

Also (I take it) the OS Weather and Temp Sensors are wireless? Is there a limit to how many?

You'll have to keep us posted with your results.

@ Telefragger - I'm also trying to lose a bit of weight (must be that time of year ) it would be fantastic if it logged to a text file or Excel spreadsheet.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Martin E View Post
                @ Telefragger - I'm also trying to lose a bit of weight (must be that time of year ) it would be fantastic if it logged to a text file or Excel spreadsheet.

Thanks
                well powertrigger would do the logging.. that isnt a problem.......

Comment

Originally posted by Martin E View Post
                  John

Do you have a method in mind for it to differetiate between different people?

Thanks
                  Once we get it working with my US BWR102, I plan on using ranges. I know I'm greater than 200lbs, my wife is less than 130lbs and my baby is less than 100lbs. I plan on using a script to write the value to different virtual devices for each person. If you have 2 people in the house that are close in weight, obviously this wouldn't work too well and you would have to figure out a different way...maybe by using an X10 keyfob button for each person that gets triggered before they step on the scale and the script checks for that....

PiperPilot

Comment

A 3 button stick switch on the bathroom wall above the scales sounds good to me.

In fact HS could announce your last logged weight. Then tell you off when there's an increase!!!

Comment

im supprised no one hasnt checked over to see what bwired has been up to.....

http://www.bwired.nl/

Body Weight Monitor
                      The Bwired Body Weight Monitor is since 16-11-2007 online. This Oregon Scientific BWR102 Weight Scale is wireless connected to my Home Automation system and displaying realtime the Bodyweight of my family members as soon as they step on the scale.
                      Last weight scale reading: 14,1 kg 13-01-2008 12:31:14
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Telefragger, well I did mention bwired.nl in my original post - however, as I understand it, he doesn't use HomeSeer/ACRF although obviously it is interesting nonetheless.

As piperpilot suggests, bwired differentiates between people by knowing each person's previous weight (as long as two peoplearen't too close of course.

Martin E - worth reading the several other posts on the main ACRF topic on the HS board - includes list of sensors supported etc.

By the way I can now confirm that with HS/ACRF2/RFXCOM receiver my system is receiving readings from the BWR102 loud and clear from one side of the house to the other so the range is no problem in my situation at least.

The only I don't really understand is why OS / Currys are selling off these devices at such a bargain price - but I'm not complaining and have now received a send set for another house. I can only assume they are a discontinued product as there seems to be no mention on the OS UK website

John Downe

Comment

Originally posted by JWD View Post
                          Thanks Telefragger, well I did mention bwired.nl in my original post - however, as I understand it, he doesn't use HomeSeer/ACRF although obviously it is interesting nonetheless.

As piperpilot suggests, bwired differentiates between people by knowing each person's previous weight (as long as two peoplearen't too close of course.

Martin E - worth reading the several other posts on the main ACRF topic on the HS board - includes list of sensors supported etc.

By the way I can now confirm that with HS/ACRF2/RFXCOM receiver my system is receiving readings from the BWR102 loud and clear from one side of the house to the other so the range is no problem in my situation at least.

The only I don't really understand is why OS / Currys are selling off these devices at such a bargain price - but I'm not complaining and have now received a send set for another house. I can only assume they are a discontinued product as there seems to be no mention on the OS UK website

John Downe

gotcha.. yeah im gonna price the rfxcom receiver... sucks that I should have bought that originally..... but to save money went with the w800....

Comment

well got a reply back...

from RFXCom:
                            The European types of Oregon Weight Scales BWR102 are operating but the US version is under test now.

We expect that at the end of this week we deliver updated software to CheaperTronics so that they are able to deliver the 433.92MHz receiver with US BWR102 support.

now I am a dummy so had to reply as I have no clue what the hell he means!!!!!! european types and us types... bwr102 is a part number thus it is the same right?

or for the us should we buy a different scale?

lemme know because im going to order the antennea soon.. and the scale in a week or 2!!!!!

Comment

TeleFragger,

The BWR102 has the same Oregon code in Europe and the US, you are right.
                              But trust me, a US user couldn't receive the BWR. I have analyzed the protocol transmitted by the US BWR and it proves that it is very different from the EU version. I'm working now on an update of the RFXCOM receiver firmware to support the US version too. This version will be available soon.

Bert

Comment

Working...
                              X