Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK Weather Station - Will it work with HS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Weather Station - Will it work with HS?

Posted this message on the General HS2 bit and got no result, so I will try it here.

While looking for something completely different came accross this. Nice price, but does anyone know if it could be intergrated into HomeSeer?

I found it on Maplins web site
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    I have purchased one, and read the manual. It does have a USB interface to PC.

Anyone have any ideas about intergrating the data into HS.The manual is online as a PDF file.
    sigpic
    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"
    HomeSeer 3 V 3.0.0.318 with ALEXA (AKA Amazon Echo)
    BL Radar V2.0.217; BLRF V2.0.85.0; HS Touch V3.0.0.1034 X10 V3.0.0.42; PHLocation V3.0.0.38; Zwave V3.0.1.110; X10 V3.0.0.42
    BLBackup V2.0.39;ImperiHome3.0.0.20 All on Windows XP Pro

A link to the pdf may help.

I noticed these the other day in Maplins, look interesting.

Comment

I ordered on last week and set it up at the last weekend.

It works brilliantly and if fully interfaced with HS using Weather Device.
      sigpic
      A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"
      BL Radar V2.0.217; BLRF V2.0.85.0; HS Touch V3.0.0.1034 X10 V3.0.0.42; PHLocation V3.0.0.38; Zwave V3.0.1.110; X10 V3.0.0.42

Comment

I presume you have linked to the PC via USB? What is the range like on the wireless?

Cheers,

Darren

Comment

Originally posted by darren-mc View Post
          I presume you have linked to the PC via USB? What is the range like on the wireless?

Cheers,

Darren
          Yes it's linked via a USB. As for the range it claims some brilliant range, as for I it's probably about 30+ Yards straight through the house (Stone Built) diagonally from the roof of an extension to the oposite corner.
          sigpic

Comment

ta...trying to decide the best way to go....this route or the oregon route with RFXCOM plugin...

Comment

Darren,

What is your expectation in regards to weather data? The cheaper weather stations are not that accurate when comapred to something like a Davis but obviously more expensive.
              Jon

Comment

I not really expecting very much in terms of accuracy...I was thinking of starting with the target rain gauge..

http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acata...ific_rain.html

as it will hook into my RFXCom setup without too much work...but I open to suggestions!

Comment

Originally posted by darren-mc View Post
                  I not really expecting very much in terms of accuracy...I was thinking of starting with the target rain gauge..

http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acata...ific_rain.html

as it will hook into my RFXCom setup without too much work...but I open to suggestions!
                  The one I bought from Maplin is the EasyWeather WH1080PC, the Operation Manual can be found here.

I was not looking for accuracy, just something that would interest me as I have always had a fascination with displaying weather since I saw Jon00's web setup. Basically I wanted something cheap and nasty, what I got was cheap (I think), but not nasty.

The software package that came with it is pretty basic, so I purchased Weather Display and Weather Display Live, what a difference and the programme interfaces with HS and my weather station.

I am impressed with it, I can control fans, gale warnings all sorts of things through HomeSeer, but, if you are a fanatic for perfection, probably not for you.

If you wish a look log into my HS Web Site, some of it is there, more to be added such as weather graphs and perhaps MesoMap Live. Do not know if the "Live Local Weather" works as I have not yet been able to try it with a remote log in.

Apart from that, it's fun.
                  sigpic

Comment

Hi Gogs,

Apploogies for bringing up an old thread but how does the Maplin Weather station, Weather Display and Weather Display Live all hang together and link to HS?

Also have just looked at the spec on the Maplin site the sensors are powered by battery, how long do they last or have lasted?
                    Last edited by lancenorton; September 30th, 2008, 09:24 AM.
                    Lance

Comment

Originally posted by lancenorton View Post
                      Hi Gogs,

Apploogies for bringing up an old thread but how does the Maplin Weather station, Weather Display and Weather Display Live all hang together and link to HS?
                      They hang together perfectly.

The link is a script which is provided by Weather Display, run it from an recurring event. WD (Weather Display) provides lots of outputs of data in GIF's and flash, all which can be used in HS web pages.

Originally I ran WD on the HS computer, I have now moved it to another computer and mapped the HS HTML/Weather folder so it updates that folder.

Works perfect. If you wish to see how it works follow one of the links below. The Weather Station is not part of HS. If you look at my HS website, and go into weather all apart from My Weather Station are being hosted by HS.

I use the readings from the weather station to turn on or off fans, the pond heater and so on. As said, it interfaces perfectly.
                      Also have just looked at the spec on the Maplin site the sensors are powered by battery, how long do they last or have lasted?
                      Yes both the receiver and the weather station run on batteries. I installed it about May this year and the batteries are holding up. There is nothing to stop you running a cable up to the Weather station and using a transformer to power it. The down side is if you have a power cut you lose data. It all depends how serious you are about keeping accurate records.

At the end of the day, for what it costs, it is a very good buy.
                      sigpic

Comment

Thank you sir, one final question, how reliable and quick is the rain sensor?

One of my sells to the wife is I can alert her if it rains so she can rush out and get my shirts in!!!!
                        Lance

Comment

Lance,

If you want instant notification, I would also buy a proper rain sensor. The rain gauges in weather stations are there to measure rainfall so will not trigger until the required unit of rain is achieved.

I have one of these: http://www.kemo-electronic.de/en/module/m152/index.htm

Remember to keep it clean if you buy one.
                          Jon

Comment

Originally posted by lancenorton View Post
                            Thank you sir, one final question, how reliable and quick is the rain sensor?

One of my sells to the wife is I can alert her if it rains so she can rush out and get my shirts in!!!!
                            As Jon say's, it is not instant on reporting it is raining.

All depends what you wish.

From having a kit in the courtyard that measures the rainfall over a period of time and compairing it to the weather station it is very accurate. However, if it starts pissing it will take the weather station a bit of time before it reports it. I think this is a Weather Display problem rather than Weather Station, or perhaps the interface, who knows!

If it starts raining it will take about 20 mins before HS knows about it. Supose it depends a bit on when the update script runs.
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks both

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                              Lance,

If you want instant notification, I would also buy a proper rain sensor. The rain gauges in weather stations are there to measure rainfall so will not trigger until the required unit of rain is achieved.

I have one of these: http://www.kemo-electronic.de/en/module/m152/index.htm

Remember to keep it clean if you buy one.
                              How have you got this intergrated into HS, Tr0jAn has his wired to a DS10 to send the signal?
                              Lance

Comment

Working...
                              X