Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texecom Alarm panels

Hi Guys

I dont know if anyone has a Texecom alarm panel..?

I am working on integrating the panel with HS using the serial interface.

I now have the full protocol description for the Premier range, which can use serial and is apparently preserved over their IP options too.

Given the Texecom are "professional" panels, and that they support so many options, this could well be the way to go in the UK. (The premiers support x10 too...)

My ability is (very) limited to scripting but this would be a really nice to have for the UK folks if someone had the time and inclination to do a "full blown" plugin....

David
    ---------------------------------------------------http://weather.penicuik.org

David,

Many people with Homeseer use the Comfort Alarm in the UK. There are 2 plug-ins available and will probably do everything that the Texecom can do plus lots more.
    Jon

Comment

Hi Jon

I appreciate the Comfort is around, but is not really consiidered by "the trade" as a serious panel - infact, it is often "pigeonholed" alongside the stuff you would find in B&Q and other DIY type outlets.

Without digressing way off track, the "security trade" are often snobby about Texecom in the respect that they dissregard them as they have a wide (trade) distribution channel - the Trade prefer to buy products that are only available through regimented routes and that Joe Pulic have zero "in" to any info or source.

The Texecom premier range (apart from the baby device) are serious commercial panels, and if anyone IS considering a move to a new panel, they should look at the range.

If you ever have the need, email me and I will send you an installers manual so you can see the breadth of control you actually have. You would be thoroughly impressed with the devices.

Dont think I am dismissing Comfort here - it has its place, but it really struggles to get out of the "geeky" neiche that it finds itself in within the professional security community.

One last point is cost - I have been very surprised how expensive the Comfort kit is - which I guess is a result of the limited market they play in...

Anyway - enough of that banter... it would be a very sad world if we did not have a choice!

David

Comment

David,

I've no idea how you got the impression that they are not serious panels but they are accredited to BS4737, ACPO and NACOSS codes of practice including commercial premises and they are not sold in retail outlets. They are trade installers all over the UK who fit them to BS4737 and BS-EN50131 complete with central monitoring if you wish.

I totally agree we need choice but in this instance I'm happy with my Comfort.
        Jon

Comment

Hi Jon

I was not suggesting that I agreed re their credentials as serious panels... but the "security community" pigeon hole them....

I would say however, that complying with standards is one thing and not a measure I would use when compairing devices....

David

Comment

I think all we can do is agree to disagree
            Jon

Comment

In my experience, it makes no difference what type of security system you have or what it does or does not integrate with. If the determined villan wants your stuff then they are going to get it one way or another.

I operate a business which can be quite attractive to the wrong sort of customer (those who come and get what they want whilst you are closed).

Part of the requirements of my insurance was to have an all singing all dancing very expensive monitored security system installed and maintened by an approved company.

Even with this system my premises are broken into at least once a year and they normally get a good haul. Because all the doors and windows are protected, last time they cut a 6ft x 6ft hole through the side of the building which is a double brick wall.

Paul..

Comment

Hi Paul... (and Jon)

I am sorry to hear of your woes... and as you say, there is nothing you can really do to deter a theif that is determined... there is always a bigger hammer for next time.

I suppose the only track you could take is ensuring there is the means to effect a conviction through other evidence... which might be cctv, or perhaps one of the many smoke/dye devices that are now widespread... Its like any secuity... its all a mix of risk and corresponding controls to manage....

I know several retailers that almost make it easy for a theif just so they dont end up making such a damn mess of the place... its easy to clean up afterwards...

A shiney bell box aint going to deter anyone..

A sad indication of the country (and world) we now live in I guess... bring back the birtch!

David

Comment

Comment

Hi

I am very nearly finished scripts to support the Texecom premier range, giving all zones plus a whole host of other info (circa 60 devices) as required.

There are however, a few limitations, based on panel version and firmware levels... but at least it works....

David

Comment

Hi!

Can you give some details about what you achived?

Regards
                      A.Oliveira

Comment

Texecom Premier panel

< I now have the full protocol description for the Premier range >

I'm trying to get a remote report from my Premier panel. The installers fitted a serial-to-USB cable which I can plug into my PC. I can log on to the panel. According to my copy of the "Simple Protocol", sending \Zxy should then return the status of the zones, where x is the start zone (base 0) and y is the number of zones to interrogate. However, I'm not getting the expected 00 or 01 in bits 0 and 1 and the results keep changing if I poll the panel every few seconds. Can you please help ?

Also, instead of running a local PC to do the monitoring, I'd like to plug the USB into a simple network server such as the Lantronix UBox 2100 for remote access. Would this work ? Has anyone tried it ? And does anyone know of a retailer for that box ?

Comment

Originally posted by iant View Post
                          < I now have the full protocol description for the Premier range >

I'm trying to get a remote report from my Premier panel. The installers fitted a serial-to-USB cable which I can plug into my PC. I can log on to the panel. According to my copy of the "Simple Protocol", sending \Zxy should then return the status of the zones, where x is the start zone (base 0) and y is the number of zones to interrogate. However, I'm not getting the expected 00 or 01 in bits 0 and 1 and the results keep changing if I poll the panel every few seconds. Can you please help ?

Also, instead of running a local PC to do the monitoring, I'd like to plug the USB into a simple network server such as the Lantronix UBox 2100 for remote access. Would this work ? Has anyone tried it ? And does anyone know of a retailer for that box ?

Hi

I am assuming you can log into the panel correctly and get an OK back?

You will not have any luck with the \Z command, or at least you wont get any useful real time info for your zones. Polling is not the way to go for zones. The simple protocol was created a long time ago, and shows it! The implementation of "simple" varies by panel type and firmware version, and the Texecom docs are not really accurate in my experience - some things work that they say should not... and vice versa.

Texecom make a ComIP board to give you ethernet out of your panel. It does infact use a lantronics module.

I have not tried the comIP with a com port redirector, although assume it would work. The Wintex software speaks directly to the comIP using an IP port not a com port redirect.

You can also write your own code for the comIP module so that might be handy.

The simple protocol is only really any use for general panel status - like all the voltages, current, armed/disarmed status along with all the x10 and PC outputs. It will also give you the various status flags - and even the text currently showing on the LCD keypads. I think I have about 64 devices in HS from these elements.

I would be interested to hear what, if anything, you do with the log...

David

Comment

David,

Thanks for your response.

< I am assuming you can log into the panel correctly and get an OK back? >

Yes.

< Texecom make a ComIP board >

I'd like to try to work with what I have for the moment (i.e. the serial-to-USB connection), rather than incurring the expense of calling back the installers to update the panel.

< I would be interested to hear what, if anything, you do with the log >

Very simple - I'll have a (Delphi) program which logs on to the board every once in while whilst I'm away from the house. It will check that the house is still secure (i.e. no zones triggered) and will send me a confirmatory email. If \Z won't work, is there a simple way of reading the zone status or, alternatively, of downloading the text of the last couple of log entries that I can normally read from the key-pad ?

Ian

Comment

< Texecom make a ComIP board >

I'd like to try to work with what I have for the moment (i.e. the serial-to-USB connection), rather than incurring the expense of calling back the installers to update the panel.

*** I just included that info as you mentioned Lantronix...****
                              To install the comIP - you dont need an installer. Just down the panel (battery and mains) and plug it in. You configure the IP details within Wintex which you already have. You can then configure alerting as you want.

< I would be interested to hear what, if anything, you do with the log >

Very simple - I'll have a (Delphi) program which logs on to the board every once in while whilst I'm away from the house. It will check that the house is still secure (i.e. no zones triggered) and will send me a confirmatory email. If \Z won't work, is there a simple way of reading the zone status or, alternatively, of downloading the text of the last couple of log entries that I can normally read from the key-pad ?

**** I was meaning the actual panel log... event log... *****

Comment

Working...
                              X