Bargain Home Easy kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bargain Home Easy kit

---------------------------------------------------http://weather.penicuik.org

Just been down to my local store immediately after reading the above post but no discounted stock in Stevenage,Hertfordshire

Just emailed B&Q and asked them whether they are selling of the stock.
    I'll let you know when I get a response.

Comment

Comment

Nothing in Blackpool either.

How effective is the HomeEasy stuff?

I'm looking for something to replace plug-in X10 dimmer and appliance modules. All the main lighting will be C-Bus, but it would be too disruptive to change all the 13A outlets to C-Bus, so I want something thats close to 100% reliable, preferably with status feedback, and cheap

Comment

No Stock? - I guess I posted too late... the kit will be on ebay soon...

If you want status, then Homeeasy is off your list...other than that, its excellent for the price.

The double 13A wall sockets are the best of kind... in my view.

The prices are keen... at last, the Uk has some alternatives...

David
          Last edited by Bestgear; March 3rd, 2009, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

The 13A sockets do look very good. I was thinking of using plug-in modules, because the ones I want to control are all out of sight, but the HomeEasy modules seem to look as good as any other sockets, and are a similar price, so it does look like a very good option.

How reliable are they? X10 here used to be about 95% (i.e. maybe 5 in every 100 times it didn't switch), then gradually dropped to 0% in some places, 30% in others as I put more and more technology onto the mains.

So if I switched a HomeEasy module 100 times, how many of those would work?

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelD View Post
                  The 13A sockets do look very good. ..........
                  How reliable are they? X10 here used to be about 95% (i.e. maybe 5 in every 100 times it didn't switch), then gradually dropped to 0% in some places, 30% in others as I put more and more technology onto the mains.

So if I switched a HomeEasy module 100 times, how many of those would work?

I have not had ANY missed double socket activations that I can think of! I probably have around 14 of them now.

The "appliance modules" have been my biggest problem - if you mount two or more in a 4 way extension... they are not reliable.

Every other product has been fine.

Using them with RFXCOM...

David

Comment

I'm getting more and more interested. What do I need to use these, an RFXCom, a plugin, and is that it?

Which RFXCom should I go for?, there seems to be a lot of them!

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelD View Post
                      I'm getting more and more interested. What do I need to use these, an RFXCom, a plugin, and is that it?

Which RFXCom should I go for?, there seems to be a lot of them!
                      I am using RFXCOM 433 RX and TX with them.... although the TX only would obviously control the sockets, dimmers etc. The RX is handy to work with the HE remotes.

I am also using Bert's excellent RFXCOM plugin and enjoying his quality support too....

The selection of RFXCOm kit has always been confusing for the "first timer"...but uis actually quite simple.

You need to decide what modules you will want, in terms of 433 and 868, and also RX and TX (US frequencies available too)

Once RF modules are chosen, you have the choice of enclosures for them. This means either USB, LAN or Wireless & LAN depending on type and number of modules.

If you want to start simply, just buy the 433 TX and USB enclosure. You can buy other modules and move them to a LAN/Wireless enclosure at a later stage. The RFXCOM plugin is the same regardless of module selection (firmware versions aside of course - but you are buying new, so of no concern).

Hope that helps - sure Bert will be along soon...

David

David

Comment

Comment

Wondering about the future of the technology is an interesting question, and the possibility of B&Q dropping out of the market gives me mixed thoughts.

It is a bit disappointing when a huge amount of effort, planning and time just looks like we dropped into B&Q one Saturday and picked up a bit of simple kit. The fact that we're on the HS message board means we take this a lot more seriously, and our installs are likely to be much more sophisticated.

On the other hand, it would be a great shame if the technology took a hit because it was being marketed through the wrong outlets.

What technology sits behind HomeEasy, is it zigbee?

Comment

What technology sits behind HomeEasy, is it zigbee?
                            I know next to nothing about electronic hardware but I do know that the technology behind Home Easy is not zigbee.

It would appear that some Home Easy products are mass manufactured in the far east somewhere and then badged by the various vendors. The HE303 PIR for example has an identical looking unit in the Dutch KaKu range. However some products like the HE107 switch have "Made in England" stamped on the back and appear to only be available in the UK.

It would be a shame if the product was to die a death in the UK, but it does seem to have lost some pace recently. I suppose if the product is taking up shelf space and not generating the magic figures on the P & L, then it will have to go.

We will have to just wait and see.

Paul..

Comment

Originally posted by Bestgear View Post
                              No Stock? - I guess I posted too late... the kit will be on ebay soon...

If you want status, then Homeeasy is off your list...other than that, its excellent for the price.

The double 13A wall sockets are the best of kind... in my view.

The prices are keen... at last, the Uk has some alternatives...

David
                              13A double wall sockets? I can't find them on either the B&Q or Home Easy websites. Can anybody provide a link to them please?

thanks
                              Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X