• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traction Tim
    replied
    Creative Saturday thoughts for the day.

Originally posted by theendisnye View Post
    Thanks for this. I am trying to do exactly the same as you did. To identify the front door bell to homeseer so I can snap a photo, mute and announce as required. I just wondered how you used the relay or wether I can just wire in parallel to the existing circuit?

Steve
    If it is an old fashioned door bell, then you would put the relay coil in parallel with the bell coil, so that the relay operates at the same time as the door bell. The output of the relay would connect to the HE305. This would have the benefit of protecting the HE305 from the spike as the magnetic field collapses in the bell coils. If it is a modern digital door bell, then you may still have to use the relay for isolation as the operating voltage of the bell may not suit the HE305.

It may be worth experimenting if you do have an old fashioned door bell with an operating coil, as it could be possible to orientate the HE305 (without any modification to it) so that the existing magnetic reed switch operates when the door bell is operated ! You could always extend the wires for the reed switch to get it in the right place - and no relay required. Clearly this won't work if you have a digital door bell !

Leave a comment:

• theendisnye
    replied
    Thanks for this. I am trying to do exactly the same as you did. To identify the front door bell to homeseer so I can snap a photo, mute and announce as required. I just wondered how you used the relay or wether I can just wire in parallel to the existing circuit?

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Simonk
    replied
    Originally posted by theendisnye View Post
    I have just done this and it seems to generate an off command when contacts is made and an on command when they break. Is that normal, I can live with it as I am using Homeseer however if I was controlling a light directly then I guess it would be an issue?

Steve
    It was a while ago when I originally done this and no longer use it so cannot check.
    I may have documented it the wrong way round with regards to on and off in my original post.
    But so long as the OFF and ON are consistent with make and break then it should be fine :-)

Leave a comment:

• theendisnye
    replied
    I have just done this and it seems to generate an off command when contacts is made and an on command when they break. Is that normal, I can live with it as I am using Homeseer however if I was controlling a light directly then I guess it would be an issue?

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Simonk
    started a topic Home Easy HE305 as Open/Closed Contact

Home Easy HE305 as Open/Closed Contact

I just thought I'd let the rest of you know how easy it is to convert a HE305 Magnetic Switch into a Open/Closed Contact switch.

There is one screw behind the label on the back of the main unit, remove this screw. Prise the top cover off and then you can see the original reed switch underneath. Cut this reed switch out and then solder on a couple of wires. Now when the wires are shorted together you will get a ON signal sent out and when they are seperated you will get a OFF signal sent. I've attached a couple of pictures, sorry about the quality !

I've connected one of these up via a small relay to my doorbell as the other half wanted to keep the original bell but I wanted to know when the doorbell was rung.
    Attached Files
Working...
X