Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HS3 HSPhone and 4 digit spammers

Hi Guys,

I have started getting calls to the house phone from various four digit telephone numbers such as 1125. Googling this shows it to be one of the broken PC scams. Are any of you getting these, and do you know how to get HSPhone to block them ? Oddly the HSPhone Caller ID log shows no number at all, but the main HS3 log does show the same 4 digit number that the Missus gave me (Thank goodness I got Caller ID working through to the phones !).

I am reading through the HS2 HSPhone forum to get an idea of what can be done, but blocking these darn four digit numbers would be so easy if we had a system where you could say "Block all numbers with less than 6 digits", or if it had wildcards.

Back to the reading

Man, I'm with you. It has gotten so bad for me that I get one of these calls at least once a day./
    Originally posted by Traction Tim View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have started getting calls to the house phone from various four digit telephone numbers such as 1125. Googling this shows it to be one of the broken PC scams. Are any of you getting these, and do you know how to get HSPhone to block them ? Oddly the HSPhone Caller ID log shows no number at all, but the main HS3 log does show the same 4 digit number that the Missus gave me (Thank goodness I got Caller ID working through to the phones !).

I am reading through the HS2 HSPhone forum to get an idea of what can be done, but blocking these darn four digit numbers would be so easy if we had a system where you could say "Block all numbers with less than 6 digits", or if it had wildcards.

Back to the reading
    Don

Comment

If you're using the "Way2Call Hi-Phone Desktop" interface, you can do this with an event and some vb.net scripting. I have a script working on HS2, but my HS3 version is still a "work in progress". It's a U.S. version, but should work with some mods. If you'd like a copy of what I have so far, I'll post it. The current version doesn't do the "less than six digits" test, but I can add that before I post and comment the code so you can see where it's done. I can't really test it, since I hardly ever get one of those calls.

Fred
      Fred

HomeSeer Pro 3.0.0.548, HS3Touch, Zwave 3.0.1.252, Envisalink DSC 3.0.0.40, WeatherXML, Z-stick, HS phone, Way2Call

Comment

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the offer. I am indeed using a Way2call desktop, and I would love to try your script. Ultimately I would like to be able to play the caller a specific recorded message if they have been identified as a spammer, and then hang up without the internal phone ever ringing. I really need to get the hang of scripts, as there are so many custom things I would like to do.

Cheers,

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Traction Tim View Post
          Hi Fred,

Thanks for the offer. I am indeed using a Way2call desktop, and I would love to try your script. Ultimately I would like to be able to play the caller a specific recorded message if they have been identified as a spammer, and then hang up without the internal phone ever ringing. I really need to get the hang of scripts, as there are so many custom things I would like to do.

Cheers,

Tim
          I'll try to get a modified version done and posted tomorrow. It probably won't be completely tested, but it will give us a place to start.
          FYI, to stop the internal phone(s) from ringing, your incoming line must first pass through the Way2Call before connecting to the internal house telephone wiring. You probably already knew this - just mentioning it here for the sake of those who don't already own one.

Fred
          Fred

HomeSeer Pro 3.0.0.548, HS3Touch, Zwave 3.0.1.252, Envisalink DSC 3.0.0.40, WeatherXML, Z-stick, HS phone, Way2Call

Comment

Hi Fred,

I've just had another of these 4 digit numbers call me. So far I've had: 1114, 1115, 1123, and 1125 so I guess there are only 9999-4 of them left to come

I think I will answer the next one to see if it actually is the broken PC scam brigade from India. I am on the UK Telephone Preference List to stop unwanted calls, but it doesn't stop people from another country bothering us.

My phone line is set up so that the Way2Call is the first device connected to the external phone line, so it should be OK here.

Tim

Comment

I've posted the preliminary version of the script here:
              http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=172265

I thought getting it in the section devoted to HSphone would be a good idea.

Please post any questions, problems, suggestions, etc. under the HSphone thread so we can keep everything in one place.

Fred
              Fred

Comment

Working...
              X