Remote Access to HometrollerSEL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Access to HometrollerSEL

I have the Linux version of HometrollerSEL (Linux version: Linux hometrollerSEL 3.16.0-031600) and first of all, my Linux skills, I would consider to be basic. I have had some exposure to the terminal and sudo… Normally my SEL sits in the basement and does its Homeseer tasks. Periodically however, I drag a monitor, mouse & keyboard downstairs to login to the box and perform Linux security updates & patches. I have also had to login to the SEL box to copy files to the device image folders for my virtual devices. This post is around suggestions for remote connection to the Linux portion of the box. I already have VPN’s running on my windows PC’s within the house and I know VPN is also available for Linux; however, due to my lack of confidence I have been reluctant to pursue VPN on my SEL with fear it’s going to mess up my mhHS services, etc. I should mention, I have no need or desire to access the Linux portion of SEL outside my LAN.

Currently, on my LAN I access mhHS through the local IP (http://192.168.1.xxx) and it logs directly into myHS with no issues. Is there a way to VPN remote connection to the box without going into mhHS (i.e. basically to the login screen of user session in Linux)?

Yes here utilize PFSense with 6 NICs. 2 WAN and 4 LAN. Running OpenVPN and IPSec VPN servers on it for remote access from Linux or Windows tablets, phones or computers.

An el cheapo quickie access VPN like would be to utilize SSH port 22 with a long password and added security via the SSHD configuration file.

That said you can run the SEL headless and never use the monitor, keyboard or mouse to do Linux security updates, patches and Homeseer 3 updates (via SSH) while concurrently using the HTML interface.

Basically remotely you would log in via a reverse proxy SSH connection. Doing this you can SSH to your Homestroller SEL and use the loopback as a proxy on the network and your browser configuration to see the web gui on your SEL Homeseer box. I utilize the Linux file manager logging in via SFTP for management of files all of the time...it is easy via Linux to do this. If you feel you need to utilize and see a desktop you can do that also via an SSH tunnel....personally I can type faster that use the icons on the Linux desktop.

Just a couple of days ago checked an SEL located in the UK all remotely via SSH. Fast and worked great.

Homeseer User has a second SEL which will probably be redone now using Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit from scratch and via remote control.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.4X
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.4X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Just use a terminal program like putty to open an SSH session to your controller. The vast majority of UNIX/Linux system in the world are managed this way.

https://www.putty.org/

Comment

Originally posted by jashie73 View Post
        ... I should mention, I have no need or desire to access the Linux portion of SEL outside my LAN....
        Since you said you have no desire to access a command line for your controller remotely you do not need a VPN. A simple SSH from a computer on your LAN will do.

Comment

Thanks Alan. Did not see the piece relating to local LAN access only.

I have suggested to those not familiar with using the command line to install Webmin for administration of the box.

With Webmin installed you can update the box, edit files even run an SSH terminal window within Webmin.

or create an SSH terminal window inside of Homeseer 3 using shell in a box easy peasy and you do not need to use putty this way.

- Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.4X
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.4X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Working...
          X