Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple Alexa devices, how to tell them apart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would love to see some way to use the device Id of my echos in my events. For example if I said “Alexa, good night” in one bedroom it would only turn off lights in that bedroom and not another bedroom.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeStallman View Post
      Would love to see some way to use the device Id of my echos in my events. For example if I said “Alexa, good night” in one bedroom it would only turn off lights in that bedroom and not another bedroom.
      Its possible now using the Homeseer Automation skill (Tell/Ask Homeseer to...) and my Alexa helper.
      Jon

Comment

Jon's Alexa Helper is the best approach to automating your home using Alexa voice commands. It is worth it to research this great tool.
        tenholde

Comment

I've been using Alexa Smarthome. It works but it doesn't always figure out the room your in as it's supposed to do.

I plan to take a new look at moving almost exclusively to the Helper with the exception for things that only work well with Alexa Smarthome. Interfacing with Ring happens to be one of those as well as any function you write a Routine for.

The one thing I wish is the ability to add your own alias for homeseer. It would be wonderful to be able to say "Alexa, tell Butler to ....." rather than "Alexa, tell homeseer to .....".

What would also be good is if you could assign one of the Echo's key words (“Alexa” , “Echo”, “Amazon” and “Computer”) to a specific app.. For example if you could assign "Computer" to always trigger "Alexa tell homeseer ..." so you could say "Computer turn on the lights" which would be the same as saying "Alexa tell homeseer to turn on the lights".

This would have to be done by Amazon but i believe it totally doable and if they did I would hope they would had a few additional wake words or allow you to make your own.
          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
          Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
          Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
          3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
          4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
          3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
          SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

I have changed my key phrase from tell Homeseer. To. Tell TEN. , My house name. Alexa, tell TEN to do the lights
            tenholde

Comment

tenholde How did you do that?

Comment

With Jon00's Alexa helper, you can specify a specific Alexa if you want. I have a command blinds down , and it only turns them down in the room I am in. Quite nice as you do not have to give them different names. It is very powerful, takes a little while to understand as it does so many things now but absolutely worth it. I dont think there is another way of doing it though.
                When setting up the Alexa helper, you can change the invocation to whatever you want. I use 'James' for example

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
                  With Jon00's Alexa helper, you can specify a specific Alexa if you want. I have a command blinds down , and it only turns them down in the room I am in. Quite nice as you do not have to give them different names. It is very powerful, takes a little while to understand as it does so many things now but absolutely worth it. I dont think there is another way of doing it though.
                  When setting up the Alexa helper, you can change the invocation to whatever you want. I use 'James' for example
                  Downloaded Jon00’s Alexa helper and starting to read through the documentation. I haven’t gotten to where to find the setting to change the invocation?

Comment

Originally posted by JakeStallman View Post

Downloaded Jon00’s Alexa helper and starting to read through the documentation. I haven’t gotten to where to find the setting to change the invocation?
                    Mikee123 has given you incorrect information. You can only change the invocation word if you create your own skill. Everyone here in the UK had to do so as the Homeseer skill required is only available from Amazon US.

If you read my docs, I believe I added links to the forum posts here how to create your own skill.
                    Jon

Comment

Sorry its been a while since I set this all up. I thought setting up your skill (and therefore invocation) was part of your helper.

Comment

Working...
                      X