Open/Close vs On/Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open/Close vs On/Off

A problem recently started where I need to control my garage door opener with Alexa using 'on' or 'off' commands vs 'open' and 'close'. I used to be able to say 'Alexa, close Garage Door'. Now I need to say, 'Alexa, Garage Door off'. I don't use the verbal command for the garage door that often, so not exactly sure when the problem started.

In HSTouch and on the Homeseer web interface, the status is shown as open or closed and the control values as open and close. The control values of 'on' and 'off' are associated with the status of 'open' and 'closed' (on the Status Graphics tab for the device). Anyway, as far as I know, I didn't change anything.....really.

In the new Alexa app on the iPhone, it shows the control values as 'on' and 'off'.

This seems pretty fundamental. Control values of on/off aren't appropriate for every device.

Appreciate any help. Thanks!

Originally posted by fschwing View Post
    A problem recently started where I need to control my garage door opener with Alexa using 'on' or 'off' commands vs 'open' and 'close'. I used to be able to say 'Alexa, close Garage Door'. Now I need to say, 'Alexa, Garage Door off'. I don't use the verbal command for the garage door that often, so not exactly sure when the problem started.

In HSTouch and on the Homeseer web interface, the status is shown as open or closed and the control values as open and close. The control values of 'on' and 'off' are associated with the status of 'open' and 'closed' (on the Status Graphics tab for the device). Anyway, as far as I know, I didn't change anything.....really.

In the new Alexa app on the iPhone, it shows the control values as 'on' and 'off'.

This seems pretty fundamental. Control values of on/off aren't appropriate for every device.

Appreciate any help. Thanks!
    How are you controlling the door? Is it a Z-Wave device, a plug-in for direct interface with the opener or something else?
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I have the same issues with my blinds. open/close doesn't work but on/off does.

i have not found a work around yet
      HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
      53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
      https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

I am a novice for Alexa control and the skill that has been setup for HS. In the original implementation I believe the syntax was something like "Alexa, tell Homeseer to XXX" while now it is possible to use "Alexa, XXX". In this later case I think it needs to be commands that Alexa natively understands which are Phillips HUE and Belkin Wemo. These two families have ON and OFF. HUE also has color and brightness keywords it recognizes.

Again, no expert so my understanding could be in error. What you can try is "Alexa, tell Homeseer to open garage door". I know HST had two implementations when making Alexa control available. There is also discussion about a helper function that Jon0 made available. Searching for it may provide some additional information.

Comment

The API Skill works on HomeSeer devices as well.

I have an Omni Pro panel and the plugin creates devices for a number of things, lighting units, internal flags and macros, thermostats, etc.

The API is flexible without the cumbersome "Tell Homeseer to..." syntax.

"Alexa, Turn ON/OFF (the) Kitchen (Lights)"

Lights need not be part of the Voice command description, it's implied. When issuing voice commands either form works (i.e., with or without the word "lights").

So these are all the same:
          "Alexa, Turn ON Kitchen"
          "Alexa, Turn ON Kitchen Lights"
          "Alexa, Turn ON the Kitchen Lights"
          "Alexa, Turn ON the Kitchen"
          "Alexa, Kitchen ON"
          "Alexa, Kitchen Lights ON"

Also dimmable loads.

"Alexa, Turn ON Kitchen (Lights) 50 percent" (I can't remember if "set lights to 50 percent" works, need to try it)
          "Alexa, Bright(en) (increase/raise) Kitchen (Lights)" (increases in 20% or 25% steps - I forget which)
          "Alexa, Brighten Kitchen (Lights) to 60 percent"
          "Alexa, Dim (decrease/lower/reduce) Kitchen (Lights)" (decreases by same step)

Thermostats with the API, mine is named "Downstairs"

"Alexa, set Downstairs to 68 degrees" (If in auto it will set both setpoints to about 2 degrees above and below this setting, i.e. heat to 66 and cool to 70)
          "Alexa, set Downstairs heat to 68 degrees"
          "Alexa, set Downstairs cool to 75 degrees"

I need to reverify these:
          "Alexa, set Downstairs mode to auto/heat/cool/off"
          "Alexa, set Downstairs fan mode to auto/on/cycle"
          "Alexa, set Downstairs hold on/off"

The other skill using the "ask Homeseer to..." can be used to get the status of devices. I cant get it working with the Thermostats though.
          The API commands give me most of what I want from voice control.

Comment

Note that the subject of OPEN/CLOSED vs. ON/OFF still does not have a definitive answer.

Comment

I read in another thread that Amazon changed the API and reserved open/close exclusively for lock devices.

Why they chose those terms over lock/unlock is a mystery. You don't open or close a lock.

Comment

In the Alexa app (not the browser) you can set up "Routines". You enter in the phrase that you want Alexa to act upon and what action to take.

I have a routine set up so when Alexa hears "Open the Garage Door" it turns on my virtual device called GarageDoor. Same for "Close the Garage Door" except it turns off the virtual device. Events then handle the turning on or off of the virtual device.

Comment

i also used routines in the end for my blinds
                  HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
                  53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
                  https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

With the new V3 skill you will be able to run Events from Alexa and also fire them from routines in the Alexa app so you can say "Alexa open blinds" and then run that event in HS3 or whatever you want. No more virtual devices if you don't want to. Hopefully it will be released soon, makes things much easier.

John

Comment

Originally posted by lj502 View Post
                      With the new V3 skill you will be able to run Events from Alexa and also fire them from routines in the Alexa app so you can say "Alexa open blinds" and then run that event in HS3 or whatever you want. No more virtual devices if you don't want to. Hopefully it will be released soon, makes things much easier.

John
                      John, v3 skill, is this an Amazon release ?
                      HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Originally posted by petez69 View Post
                        John, v3 skill, is this an Amazon release ?
                        It is a skill that HST has been working on with Amazon. I think Rich said it was complete, they are waiting for Amazon's approval.
                        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

One thing I noticed about the homeseer skill lately is that if I say "Alexa TELL Leena good night", it comes back and says "Good night, sleep tight.. blah blah". I seem to have better luck saying "Alexa ASK Leena, good night".

Seems kinda odd that I need to ASK rather than TELL. Are others experiencing this too? It used to work flawlessly...

Robert
                          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                            It is a skill that HST has been working on with Amazon. I think Rich said it was complete, they are waiting for Amazon's approval.
                            Thanks Randy, good to know....looking forward to more "natural speech" when talking to the devices :-)

Pete
                            HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Originally posted by lj502 View Post

John
                              Ah! But will running the event run it blindly or will it honor the conditions set for that event.. I'm hoping it takes the conditions for the event into account.
                              Since my garage door control merely activates a relay whether opening or closing, I don't want to run the Open Garage event if the door is already open.

Comment

Working...
                              X