Device Discovery, V3 Skill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Device Discovery, V3 Skill

After working well for several weeks, I decided to add some devices for Alexa Voice Control. I went in and updated 3 devices that hold data from my weather station. For two days now, I have ran discovery (after discovery) and it is NOT finding the newly added devices. Is it me, these devices, or something else?

Thanks
    Gary

Current Date/Time: 3/5/2018 10:41:30 AM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.409
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center - Work Station
    System Uptime: 0 Days 22 Hours 27 Minutes 15 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.1.83
    Number of Devices: 242
    Number of Events: 59
    Available Threads: 800
    HSTouch Enabled: True
    Event Threads: 0
    Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
    Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
    Device Exec Queue: 0
    HSTouch Event Queue: 0
    Email Send Queue: 0
    Anti Virus Installed: Windows Defender Malwarebytes

Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.54.0: BLOnkyo
    2.18.0.3: MCSSPRINKLERSP
    30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
    3.0.6551.16959: UltraGCIR3
    3.0.0.40: X10
    3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Hi,
    same for me with V3

Work with V2

My system:

Current Date/Time: 05/03/2018 21:32:39
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.422
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Famille - Work Station
    System Uptime: 1 Day 9 Hours 37 Minutes 56 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.50.55
    Number of Devices: 445
    Number of Events: 154
    Available Threads: 800
    HSTouch Enabled: True
    Event Threads: 0
    Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
    Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
    Device Exec Queue: 0
    HSTouch Event Queue: 0
    Email Send Queue: 0
    Anti Virus Installed: Avast Antivirus Windows Defender

Beta test Alexa in FRENCH (Skill installed from amazon.co.uk)

Jean-Francois.
    Attached Files

Comment

How do you get your davis data into HS ?

Comment

Originally posted by MStan View Post
        How do you get your davis data into HS ?
        Davis Envoy to Virtual Weather Station to csv file, HS3 script csv file to HS devices.

Gary

Comment

Bug Report 3592...

I submitted a bug report for this, but it would be helpful if I could get folks to say whether or not they are having any discover issues (with V3), especially with existing devices where the Voice Control parameters are all that is changed.

Thanks
          Gary

UPDATE:
          Apparently, there is more than one method of reporting problems. Not at all sure what problems are bug related and which ones go through the "Help Desk", but for others information, here is the bug message from Rich:

We are working with users on these issues through our helpdesk, so please send
          this to support@homeseer.com and a ticket will be created.
          Last edited by Kbevo; March 6, 2018, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kbevo View Post
            After working well for several weeks, I decided to add some devices for Alexa Voice Control. I went in and updated 3 devices that hold data from my weather station. For two days now, I have ran discovery (after discovery) and it is NOT finding the newly added devices. Is it me, these devices, or something else?

Thanks
            Gary
            Those devices have values only, they are not devices that can be controlled. The Echo skill does not have the capability to report status of a device that cannot be controlled AFAIK. Therefore they will not be discovered.
            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I submitted a bug report for this, but it would be helpful if I could get folks to say whether or not they are having any discover issues (with V3), especially with existing devices where the Voice Control parameters are all that is changed.

Thanks
              Gary
              I am not having discovery issues at all. If it is a supported and controllable device it is discovered. Devices that cannot be controlled are not discovered.
              Last edited by randy; March 6, 2018, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                If it is a supported and controllable device it is discovered. Devices that cannot be controlled are not discovered.
                Well that is certainly my experience. I have searched the message board repeatedly for something related to your feedback. Are NOT controllable devices those that do not have the ON/OFF buttons?

Thanks
                Gary

Comment

Discoverable Devices??

The presence of buttons in the "Control" column does not seem to make the device controllable. My Z-Wave thermostat "temperature" is discovered and works just fine with voice control.

If only certain devices can be discovered, how do I recognize which ones can be discovered and how do I ensure it can be discovered when it is created?

Thank
                  Gary

Comment

The presence of buttons in the "Control" column does not seem to make the device controllable. My Z-Wave thermostat "temperature" is discovered and works just fine with voice control.

If only certain devices can be discovered, how do I recognize which ones can be discovered and how do I ensure it can be discovered when it is created?

Thank
                    Gary
                    No, but the thermostat device IS controllable for set points, fan and mode. The thermostat is discovered, the temperature child is not. Thermostats have special handling in the Echo skill to be able to report temperature and they are discovered through the root device. Only the root needs to be set for voice command. When you query the thermostat temperature, you are querying the root name. Your weather devices are not handled the same way as they are standard devices.

As far as I know all controllable devices (if only On-Off) are discovered if voice commands are enabled. There is special handling for some devices. Among them
                    • Light switches (is light)
                    • Dimmable light controls
                    • Locks
                    • Thermostats
                    A good rule of thumb is that if a device is not controllable and is not a child of a supported device, it will not be discovered.
                    Last edited by randy; March 6, 2018, 01:39 PM.

Comment

• Light switches (is light)
                      • Dimmable light controls
                      • Locks
                      • Thermostats

A good rule of thumb is that if a device is not controllable and is not a child of a supported device, it will not be discovered.
                      Thanks much for the feedback. I can accept that is the way it is. But it is hard to understand why that is the way it has to be. If I ask for a device value that is voice controlled, why can't the value for that device be returned to Alexa? In that regard, same as the thermostat that now requires special handling.

Thanks again,
                      Gary

Comment

I am experiencing discovery isssues. Sometimes Alexa discovers the devices... sometimes not...

Ex. I want to add a new device ... i start de discovery process ...and the device is not found.... but 1 later I try the discovery process again and the device is found..

Comment

Thanks much for the feedback. I can accept that is the way it is. But it is hard to understand why that is the way it has to be. If I ask for a device value that is voice controlled, why can't the value for that device be returned to Alexa? In that regard, same as the thermostat that now requires special handling.

Thanks again,
                          Gary
                          I think a lot of this is due to the skill developers at Amazon and at HomeSeer. It is an evolving skill that initially only did simple lighting control. Thermostat support was just added and IIRC they had to do some adjustments to get them to report temperature. It was originally a control skill, controlling and reporting the device status on controllable devices. Perhaps string reporting will be added in a future version.

Comment

Perhaps string reporting will be added in a future version.
                            Does it have to be string reporting? It handles the thermostat "value" now why can't the same code handle the value of any other device?

Thanks
                            Gary

Comment

Does it have to be string reporting? It handles the thermostat "value" now why can't the same code handle the value of any other device?

Thanks
                              Gary
                              No, that was a typo on my part. I was answering a PM at the same time and wasn't as careful as I should be. I should have typed Status, which is usually the formatted version of Value. The value of a switch is usually 0 or 100, where the Status is Off or On.

Comment

Working...
                              X