Alexa device type is other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexa device type is other

My friend uses Nexia and has his z wave devices connected to Alexa. He has an echo in each of his groups (e.g. his kitchen lights) and when he talks to that echo, he can just say "turn off/on the lights" and it does because it knows that echo is in a group.

Mine doesn't do that...and we traced it to the fact that all of my switches in Alexa connected through homeseer are of type Other. Not type Light (or switch). Is this a bug in the Homeseer integration? How do I get these types updated so Alexa sees them properly?

Did you ever get an answer to this? You need to trudge through each and every device that is a light and check "is light" in it's configuration. I know because that's exactly what I'm doing right now. Oh, and you need a certain minimum version of HS3 - I think it's .318 but don't quote me.

Jim Speiser
    38-year veteran of Home Automation
    Still don't know squat

Comment

Yeah - I was using the old Homeseer skill which is still in the Alexa skills store. Once I changed to the other one everything worked magically. Pretty frustrating that something so basic isn't more clearly managed.

Comment

I cannot find the “is light” config setting. Where is it?
        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
        2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
          I cannot find the “is light” config setting. Where is it?
          You've probably figured this out by now, but for future reference, its on the CONFIGURATION tab for each device, under "Is Dimmable." This assumes you have the latest version of HS3.

Jim Speiser
          38-year veteran of Home Automation
          Still don't know squat

Comment

Working...
          X