Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disappointing Alexa Integration Experience - Solved!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappointing Alexa Integration Experience - Solved!

Sorry about this rant, but I do need to cry on someone's shoulder.

Here it is - 3pm Arizona Time, on a Friday - and no access to HomeSeer Support until Monday...

I am working on setting up Homeseer with Alexa for a relative here in Phoenix.
    I am booked to fly home on Saturday PM.

I am unable to get the Alexa skill to populate with the Devices, after authenticating it with MyHS.
    I seem to recall, when I did my own, in the past - it took a few hours to happen.

Furthermore, I just checked my Alexa App - and all of my HomeSeer devices have disappeared on my Alexa account.

To make this experience even more frustrating - my account here on forums.homeseer.com - keeps getting deleted.
    So I have just waited about 30 minutes for an email to open up another.

I suspect that there is some server - sitting somewhere that links MyHS to Amazon.
    I am also suspecting there is something going on with it - that is breaking/preventing devices from appearing in Alexa.

There are MANY posts on the forum here of experiences where Homeseer Users are either unable to get devices to appear in Alexa or devices just disappear.

How serious is Homeseer about this functionality - why has this been going on for so long?
    Can management please comment?

I am moving my Z-Wave devices onto an Alexa device that has the ability to control them.

I am utterly devistated that I have invested so much of my own money and time, and other people's money and time into Homeseer
    to be let down like this...

Is your myHomeSeer account working from outside the users lan? I just tested running a discovery for events and devices and it's working here. So it's most likely something on the PC or network preventing connectivity to Amazon like AV software or a firewall. You can also put in an email to support@homeseer.com as there is limited weekend support.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Oh no problems at all....
      Aug-23 20:09:39 Warning Error serializing myhs data: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
      There are problems. Support / Engineering??? Same thing??? is aware of them and "fixing" them... have been "fixing" them for nearly a year???

Comment

Originally posted by simplextech View Post
        Oh no problems at all....
        Aug-23 20:09:39 Warning Error serializing myhs data: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
        There are problems. Support / Engineering??? Same thing??? is aware of them and "fixing" them... have been "fixing" them for nearly a year???
        I didn't say there weren't issues, I'm just stating it's working here as a point of reference. These serializing errors are typically caused by a special character in a device/event name.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post

I didn't say there weren't issues, I'm just stating it's working here as a point of reference. These serializing errors are typically caused by a special character in a device/event name.
          I've been having those errors for a long time and I get them in my dev environment as well which has NO DEVICES... The point is we know there are problems and they happen all throughout the day. Here's from one of my systems of just today...

Aug-23 20:41:03 Warning Have not heard from MyHS in over 3 minutes, disconnecting for re-connection.
          Aug-23 20:19:01 Warning Have not heard from MyHS in over 3 minutes, disconnecting for re-connection.
          Aug-23 17:28:03 Warning Have not heard from MyHS in over 3 minutes, disconnecting for re-connection.
          Aug-23 16:15:17 Warning Have not heard from MyHS in over 3 minutes, disconnecting for re-connection.
          Aug-23 15:46:44 Warning Have not heard from MyHS in over 3 minutes, disconnecting for re-connection.
          Aug-23 13:26:31 Warning Have not heard from MyHS in over 3 minutes, disconnecting for re-connection.
          Aug-23 13:15:50 Warning Have not heard from MyHS in over 3 minutes, disconnecting for re-connection.
          Aug-23 12:12:51 Warning Have not heard from MyHS in over 3 minutes, disconnecting for re-connection.
          Aug-23 09:01:07 Warning Error serializing myhs data: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
          Aug-23 08:56:53 Warning Have not heard from MyHS in over 3 minutes, disconnecting for re-connection.
          Aug-23 08:53:22 Warning Have not heard from MyHS in over 3 minutes, disconnecting for re-connection.
          Aug-23 06:32:57 Warning Have not heard from MyHS in over 3 minutes, disconnecting for re-connection.
          Aug-23 05:57:19 Warning Have not heard from MyHS in over 3 minutes, disconnecting for re-connection.
          Aug-23 04:30:44 Warning Have not heard from MyHS in over 3 minutes, disconnecting for re-connection.
          Aug-23 02:05:26 Warning Have not heard from MyHS in over 3 minutes, disconnecting for re-connection.
          Aug-23 00:07:19 Warning Error serializing myhs data: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

The overall point is there are problems. There have been for months. There's hundreds of posts of problems. I can say at this moment it works. Will it work in another 10 minutes??? No clue... it should but I won't bet on it.

Comment

Yea I really wish HST could figure this out as it's frustrating that this isn't working for HST as well as users.

Comment

Yea I really wish HST could figure this out as it's frustrating that this isn't working for HST as well as users.
              That's all that we all want... is it to get figured out and resolved.

Comment

Is your myHomeSeer account working from outside the users lan? I just tested running a discovery for events and devices and it's working here. So it's most likely something on the PC or network preventing connectivity to Amazon like AV software or a firewall. You can also put in an email to support@homeseer.com as there is limited weekend support.
                No special firewall here - Just a basic Netgear C7000v2 Cable Modem from Cox with default consumer settings.

Comment

Originally posted by KB8DOA View Post

No special firewall here - Just a basic Netgear C7000v2 Cable Modem from Cox with default consumer settings.
                  Is your myHomeSeer account working from outside the users lan? You may want to put in a support ticket at support@homeseer.com as well.

Comment

I'm confused... Are you using the v2 HomeSeer Alexa skill? I'm on the original version and don't have the device issues. When the second release came out, I gave it a try and found the same problems you're experiencing. I then went back. I think HS or Amazon pulled the original but can't confirm.
                    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Saying ‘’ it is working here ‘’ helps nothing . This can be received as a sophism , to invalidate the problem, so yea it it a really bad reference point.

I am starting to feel tired of hearing this from hst . When clearly there are problem (not just talking about this issue here)

when contacting support you got the same Type of answers + the traditional ‘’you are the first to report it ‘’(LOL) .

Comment

Personally, here , i am relying on ha-bridge for devices. and on openhab echo control binding ( last voice command channel) to trigger events. Because i do not want to deal with this specific problem all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
                          Personally, here , i am relying on ha-bridge for devices. and on openhab echo control binding ( last voice command channel) to trigger events. Because i do not want to deal with this specific problem all the time.
                          I do all of my voice control through my ISY... I've actually just moved everything over to ISY + Polyglot to test and see if that meets all of my requirements. Nice to have an alternative if needed.

Comment

Again, If you are having an issue with Alexa and do not have a ticket open with the help desk open one.

Comment

Originally posted by KB8DOA View Post
                              Sorry about this rant, but I do need to cry on someone's shoulder.

Here it is - 3pm Arizona Time, on a Friday - and no access to HomeSeer Support until Monday...

I am working on setting up Homeseer with Alexa for a relative here in Phoenix.
                              I am booked to fly home on Saturday PM.

I am unable to get the Alexa skill to populate with the Devices, after authenticating it with MyHS.
                              I seem to recall, when I did my own, in the past - it took a few hours to happen.

Furthermore, I just checked my Alexa App - and all of my HomeSeer devices have disappeared on my Alexa account.

To make this experience even more frustrating - my account here on forums.homeseer.com - keeps getting deleted.
                              So I have just waited about 30 minutes for an email to open up another.

I suspect that there is some server - sitting somewhere that links MyHS to Amazon.
                              I am also suspecting there is something going on with it - that is breaking/preventing devices from appearing in Alexa.

There are MANY posts on the forum here of experiences where Homeseer Users are either unable to get devices to appear in Alexa or devices just disappear.

How serious is Homeseer about this functionality - why has this been going on for so long?
                              Can management please comment?

I am moving my Z-Wave devices onto an Alexa device that has the ability to control them.

I am utterly devistated that I have invested so much of my own money and time, and other people's money and time into Homeseer
                              to be let down like this...
                              It is getting worse - The security SSL certificate for the myhs.homeseer.com webserver expired yesterday.
                              Now I cannot do anything...

Is Homeseer shutting down? Something this obvious should never happen...

Comment

Working...
                              X