Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No TTS???

Is there no tts support ?

Is it not possible to create a routine based off a virtual switch turning on or off?

At this point in time HST has not implemented the Alexa Sensor capabilities. Why? I have no idea. The information is available to implement, many have asked about it and links/documentation is public. Why have most other controllers implemented this already months ago and not HS is a question and concern around resources and priorities. To venture on a guess they don't have the resources to devote to this and have higher priorities such as HS4. Too bad HS4 won't have this feature either based on the current feature list.

Comment

See the other Alexa forum for how to use node red and MQTT to send TTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Furious View Post
        See the other Alexa forum for how to use node red and MQTT to send TTS.
        Yeah there are hack arounds to make it work and there is a REAL and Official way that HomeSeer could be using. Just like every other platform. Actually thinking about it... I think HS is the only mainstream platform that doesn't support sensors with Alexa and even smaller open source projects support the sensor API.

Comment

Originally posted by simplextech View Post

Yeah there are hack arounds to make it work and there is a REAL and Official way that HomeSeer could be using. Just like every other platform. Actually thinking about it... I think HS is the only mainstream platform that doesn't support sensors with Alexa and even smaller open source projects support the sensor API.
          Does Hubitat support it? Could Homeseer get there through Hubitat? I see Hubitat as a likely Zigbee and multi-purpose interface into Homeseer so most folks would not be buying the Hubitat hub just to get Alexa TTS (assuming it can even do that). I agree that it would be ideal for HS4 to directly support Alexa sensors but until that happens other interfaces/plugins might provide a solution that is less of a hack than what folks are using today.

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post

Does Hubitat support it? Could Homeseer get there through Hubitat? I see Hubitat as a likely Zigbee and multi-purpose interface into Homeseer so most folks would not be buying the Hubitat hub just to get Alexa TTS (assuming it can even do that). I agree that it would be ideal for HS4 to directly support Alexa sensors but until that happens other interfaces/plugins might provide a solution that is less of a hack than what folks are using today.
            Hubitat does support the sensor API for Alexa. So does ISY and SmartThings. Unless your sensor is in Hubitat and you expose to Alexa through Hubitat there's isn't a way to do it cross-system though. Which if you're putting your sensors and devices into Hubitat... well what is HS doing?

Comment

I have a Hubitat but have not had a chance to play with it yet. I guess I was assuming it had some provision for virtual devices that could be linked to actual devices in Homeseer. I also have an ISY so could look at that path also.

As far as what Homeseer does, it is the coordinator that links and enhances various subsystems. I like the fact that my ISY will keep my lights working and Elk will keep processing various inputs even when I crash my Homeseer system while playing with a new plugin. (This usually happens in the middle of the night when I don't have time to undo what i just broke.) I can easily limp along for a day or two until I get the Homeseer system restored since the subsystems keep on working. I would be really surprised if Hubitat could do everything that Homeseer does to the point where you could seriously consider it as a potential replacement rather than just another Homeseer subsystem. Same goes for ISY/PolyGot.

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
                I have a Hubitat but have not had a chance to play with it yet. I guess I was assuming it had some provision for virtual devices that could be linked to actual devices in Homeseer. I also have an ISY so could look at that path also.

As far as what Homeseer does, it is the coordinator that links and enhances various subsystems. I like the fact that my ISY will keep my lights working and Elk will keep processing various inputs even when I crash my Homeseer system while playing with a new plugin. (This usually happens in the middle of the night when I don't have time to undo what i just broke.) I can easily limp along for a day or two until I get the Homeseer system restored since the subsystems keep on working. I would be really surprised if Hubitat could do everything that Homeseer does to the point where you could seriously consider it as a potential replacement rather than just another Homeseer subsystem. Same goes for ISY/PolyGot.
                Hubitat has a long way to go in regards to stability before I will consider it a "serious" offering. It is a great device controller for Zigbee and is very stable if you leave it alone and just run your devices on it.

I've seen your messages on the UD forum and issues here. Other than "local TTS" which only HS does because of the speaker client which who knows the future of what else can you NOT do with ISY/Polyglot? Maybe move that to a Private message so as not to "offend" anyone talking about competition.

Comment

I will probably bring it up on Cocoontech as the most product neutral place for that discussion. First I need to inventory my Homeseer events involving CallerID, Sony TV and AV Receiver control, Brultech energy monitoring, etc. to see what gaps i can identify.

Comment

Here took an Alexa dot and installed it next to the Russound in the basement and mix the audio from MS SAPI (Homeseer) with the TTS from the DOT (microphone is off).

HA and Homeseer are both doing MQTT. HA (Alexa) / HS (MS SAPI) is doing TTS based on the Omni Pro 2 panel hard wired sensors. I am doing HS and HA on the same test box now.

Testing the pure MQTT from the modded SonOff devices to TTS and this works really nice.

The TTS response times are very good from the Alexa.

The HS Touchscreen table tops also do SAPI TTS.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

You could create two virtual devices under Hubitat. One a contact sensor and the other a switch.

expose the virtual switch to Homeseer and write your events when to turn it on.

on Hubitat create a rule when the switch turns on to open the contact sensor.

expose contact sensor to Alexa.

open Alexa and write a routine on contact sensor open to say what you want.

——

My personal aim is to have Homeseer do everything with absolutely no rules of any kind running off Hubitat. I just want to expose switches, contact sensors, and motion sensors which I can do.

the problem I run into is Alexa tts and routines and the Lutron hold down buttons. This basically keeps me from fully moving over to Homeseer.

i personally don’t want multiple devices running rules and events. I want to keep it under one unit.

so sadly I’m waiting and hoping this is addressed in the near future.

Comment

Or... HS could just support the stupid Sensor API?????

Comment

Originally posted by simplextech View Post
                          Or... HS could just support the stupid Sensor API?????
                          Lol yes of course! That’s what I want.

why on earth haven’t they done this yet ?

Comment

Originally posted by mik3y View Post
                            You could create two virtual devices under Hubitat. One a contact sensor and the other a switch.

expose the virtual switch to Homeseer and write your events when to turn it on.

on Hubitat create a rule when the switch turns on to open the contact sensor.

expose contact sensor to Alexa.

open Alexa and write a routine on contact sensor open to say what you want.

——

My personal aim is to have Homeseer do everything with absolutely no rules of any kind running off Hubitat. I just want to expose switches, contact sensors, and motion sensors which I can do.

the problem I run into is Alexa tts and routines and the Lutron hold down buttons. This basically keeps me from fully moving over to Homeseer.

i personally don’t want multiple devices running rules and events. I want to keep it under one unit.

so sadly I’m waiting and hoping this is addressed in the near future.
                            Can you use this method to pass variable values from Homeseer to the Alexa routine? At least half of my TTS events speak a variable value of some sort.

I also used to want all of my rules in one place to manage everything easier. Experience has taught me distributing things across multiple systems is more resilient and failures are a lot softer if you don't have all your eggs in one basket.

Comment

Originally posted by mik3y View Post

Lol yes of course! That’s what I want.

why on earth haven’t they done this yet ?
                              I can't talk about it....under developer secrecy and this is a family friendly forum where that language is not appropriate

Comment

Working...
                              X