No TTS???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post

Can you use this method to pass variable values from Homeseer to the Alexa routine? At least half of my TTS events speak a variable value of some sort.

I also used to want all of my rules in one place to manage everything easier. Experience has taught me distributing things across multiple systems is more resilient and failures are a lot softer if you don't have all your eggs in one basket.
    No I don’t see how. A unofficial app is available under Hubitat, but I don’t see how you could pass those values over to it.

i prefer one system myself. I have a means to keep backups and what not. Most my devices are all Lutron. I mean I do have zigbee and zwave stuff too.

Comment

Originally posted by mik3y View Post

No I don’t see how. A unofficial app is available under Hubitat, but I don’t see how you could pass those values over to it.

i prefer one system myself. I have a means to keep backups and what not. Most my devices are all Lutron. I mean I do have zigbee and zwave stuff too.
      You're really hobbling yourself tying down to one system, and what we've seen in the past from HS, is that you'll be waiting a LONG time for new features.... and then they may not be what you want.
      Example - the homeseer skill. Works for most, but I've had so many issues with HS not presenting devices properly to amazon that I gave up and went first to the HA bridge app, then onto node-red. It also takes out the reliance on another cloud service (my HS) and increases reliability.

You want the best coverage and flexibility for HA as no system does everything well. HS has the best event engine. Others have better support for other services. HS has never covered all my needs, and I've gone way past the reinventing the wheel with scripting for trying to get control of devices.

If you want ease of backup and restoration or configuration, try docker. Spinning up containers of applications is easy, same with backing up configuration. If you have some spare memory on your server, you can run non-native apps and so straddle the platform divide - there are way more apps and scripts for linux, python, JS, etc than windows. If you're averse to doing that, WSL v2 should make it even better come the next big windows update.

Comment

Originally posted by Furious View Post

You're really hobbling yourself tying down to one system, and what we've seen in the past from HS, is that you'll be waiting a LONG time for new features.... and then they may not be what you want.
        Example - the homeseer skill. Works for most, but I've had so many issues with HS not presenting devices properly to amazon that I gave up and went first to the HA bridge app, then onto node-red. It also takes out the reliance on another cloud service (my HS) and increases reliability.

You want the best coverage and flexibility for HA as no system does everything well. HS has the best event engine. Others have better support for other services. HS has never covered all my needs, and I've gone way past the reinventing the wheel with scripting for trying to get control of devices.

If you want ease of backup and restoration or configuration, try docker. Spinning up containers of applications is easy, same with backing up configuration. If you have some spare memory on your server, you can run non-native apps and so straddle the platform divide - there are way more apps and scripts for linux, python, JS, etc than windows. If you're averse to doing that, WSL v2 should make it even better come the next big windows update.
        Good points.

i keep hearing mention of node red all over. It seems like most systems support this.

Im going to dig more into this.

Comment

More like the push for HS4 has basically halted all other development.
          Let's hope the skill is more reliable for discovery with the new version so we don't need to have ha bridge or node red to do the task....

Comment

Working...
          X