Alexa not working with HS New - It used to be great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alexa not working with HS New - It used to be great

No devices in HS are showing up in Alexa....

Using Alexa Everything was working and then sometime over the last day or two it stopped. I can say "Alexa tell hs to turn on master fan" that works. But if I say "alexa turn on master fan" it says "a few things share master fan, which one do you want"

The skills from the web site doesnt seem to be working with anything that is linked with HS. I added the Hue skill and via that the lights are working. I was going to add in the Insteon skill but that doesnt make sense. This was working.

Using the Alexa web site I removed master fan using forget device. and running discovery the Master Fan did not show up.

I have unlinked the HomeSeer Home Automation Skill and linked it back again. Discovery still doesnt show the devices I manually removed to test this.

I have rebooted the HS server. I have rebooted the Hue and Insteon hubs.

Do I need to have both HS skills? Something changed and I havent a clue what to look for

Originally posted by mworsnop View Post
    Using Alexa Everything was working and then sometime over the last day or two it stopped. I can say "Alexa tell hs to turn on master fan" that works. But if I say "alexa turn on master fan" it says "a few things share master fan, which one do you want"

The skills from the web site doesnt seem to be working with anything that is linked with HS. I added the Hue skill and via that the lights are working. I was going to add in the Insteon skill but that doesnt make sense. This was working.

Using the Alexa web site I removed master fan using forget device. and running discovery the Master Fan did not show up.

I have unlinked the HomeSeer Home Automation Skill and linked it back again. Discovery still doesnt show the devices I manually removed to test this.

I have rebooted the HS server. I have rebooted the Hue and Insteon hubs.

Do I need to have both HS skills? Something changed and I havent a clue what to look for
    I had a similar issue. I used an apostrophe in some of my Insteon device names. Once I removed the apostrophe it resolved the issue.

Comment

Thank you for the idea but I haven't added or changed any devices names, and there aren't any apostrophes. None of the HS devices are working with Alexa. So none of the ZWAVE and Insteon too. The only reason the hue lights work is I added a skill for the hue lights. I didnt have that before.Everything came from HS.

Comment

Originally posted by mworsnop View Post
        Thank you for the idea but I haven't added or changed any devices names, and there aren't any apostrophes. None of the HS devices are working with Alexa. So none of the ZWAVE and Insteon too. The only reason the hue lights work is I added a skill for the hue lights. I didnt have that before.Everything came from HS.
        Did anything change on your server? License change, antivirus update, firewall update?

cdfa97a0d7345a6f02365bdee506b067.png
        Try disabling voice control for all devices, this can be done by using the check box and drop-down list directly under the words Device List, as seen in the screenshot.

Once you use the check box to select all devices, you will want to use the drop down menu to select Disable Voice. Then, you will want to go through your device list and click the check boxes for the devices you would like to control. There are two rules about enabling voice control. I would recommend checking only one device as a test.

The device must have controls on the right hand side
        The device must be on/off, dimmable, or thermostat controls.

For the device above, you would only want to enable voice control for the HomeSeer HS-WD100+ Switch Multilevel child device.

Once all appropriate devices have been selected, you will want to select Enable Voice from the drop down menu, then unlink and relink Alexa with HomeSeer.
        -Rupp
        sigpic

Comment

My Alexa functionality has been flakey for a few days too. I (more often than not) get "a few things share" that name error. Nothing changed on my end. So, I did forget all devices and did rediscovery. Still very flakey behavior. Don't know what's going on. This year, seems that every 3 months or so, I have to forget all devices, maybe disable/reenable the skill, rediscover devices, recreate all my groups, etc... Getting tired of this instability.... Fortunately homebridge/HomeKit has been rock solid....

Comment

I am having the same issue. In the last two days, Alexa doesn't recognize the device unless I say, tell HS to ....... Seems like the direct skill is broken

Comment

I'm having the same issue as well and I am somewhat sure it's not on Amazon's end. I also have devices I use connected to NodeRED, Autovoice (using Tasker), eWelink and MagicHome. All of those work flawlessly. My Homeseer-Alexa connection (and to a smaller degree Google Home) has been getting worse and worse the last two months. I finally disabled voice control for all devices (had 75 or so) and then started adding back in the absolutely necessary devices a few at a time. Took forever to get them discovered and still only able to control about 10% of the time. Seriously considering useing NodeRED or Homeassistant between HomeSeer and Alexa. Only reason I haven't is that it would be such a time suck to get set up and I'm pretty limited on my time off from work.

Comment

I looked at my device list in the Alexa app and there were some that indicated issues. I deleted them and rediscovered devices, they were found. However, when I try to voice control those devices, Alexa says there are multiple devices with the same name. Frustrating.....

Comment

Try this. Go to alexa.amazon.com log in, go to Smart Home, Devices. Forget Devices. Reenable the Homeseer skill and find devices. Evidently, even though I tried deleting individual devices in the smartphone app, there were other device occurrences. Don't know why this suddenly became an issue in the last couple of days. Anyway hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by basshook View Post
                    Try this. Go to alexa.amazon.com log in, go to Smart Home, Devices. Forget Devices. Reenable the Homeseer skill and find devices. Evidently, even though I tried deleting individual devices in the smartphone app, there were other device occurrences. Don't know why this suddenly became an issue in the last couple of days. Anyway hope this helps.
                    You will always want to use the web site https://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.h...rt-home-skills as the Alexa app doesn't show all devices correctly since recent Amazon changes. You alway want to limit the number of devices with the voice command checked. You also want to ensure none of your names have any special characters in them as Amazon recently made a change where these no longer work. Try disabling all voice commands using the Disable Voice shortcut on the Device Management page. Lastly only test a few lights as Amazon is shorting the amount of time they scan before they time out.
                    -Rupp
                    sigpic

Comment

I have recently been having trouble with a couple of things:

1. For each room that has an Echo, I create a group in Alexa with the Echo in that room and the lights in that room. This allows me to say "Alexa, turn off (or on) lights" to the Echo in that room and Alexa turns on (or off) all the lights in the group. Or, I can say "Alexa, turn off (or on) <room name> lights" and Alexa would turn on (or off) all the lights in that room. With whatever changed recently, the "Alexa, turn off (or on) <room name> lights" voice command no longer works reliably. Sometimes, only 1 of the lights in the group would be turned off or on.

So, to resolve this issue, I had to create a HomeSeer virtual device for each room named "<room name> Lights". I checked its voice command check box. I created HomeSeer events that would turn on or off all the lights in the room in response to the virtual device being turned on or off. This is what I used to do a long long time ago, but I stopped doing it this way since Alexa/HomeSeer could just turn on or off all devices in the group without requiring this virtual device technique. But with whatever recent changes were done, I had to revert to using virtual devices and events to turn on or off all the lights in a room.

2. Second problem: more than 50% of the time, Alexa says "sorry <device name> is not responding". This is really annoying.... I have to keep repeating myself to Alexa until it works.

I did "Forget All" on the Alexa web app, followed by Discover, and I still have these problems. I have about 150 devices. Maybe 100 are HomeSeer and the rest are Philips Hue lights, which Alexa controls using the Hue skill (Alexa doesn't go through HomeSeer to control the Hue lights). I have no problems with the Hue lights. But with the HomeSeer devices, I often get "sorry <device name> is not responding".

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post

Lastly only test a few lights as Amazon is shorting the amount of time they scan before they time out.
                        Can you elaborate what this means? Does this mean that the more devices we have the greater the chance of timing out and getting "sorry <device name> is not responding"? Anyway, things were stable for me for a few months, but last couple of weeks or so haven't been stable, despite my not changing anything on my end....

Comment

Originally posted by randman View Post

Can you elaborate what this means? Does this mean that the more devices we have the greater the chance of timing out and getting "sorry <device name> is not responding"? Anyway, things were stable for me for a few months, but last couple of weeks or so haven't been stable, despite my not changing anything on my end....
                          No, if you have too many devices Alexa can time out discovering them. Have you tried discovering only one device and testing?
                          -Rupp
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post

No, if you have too many devices Alexa can time out discovering them. Have you tried discovering only one device and testing?
                            A few months ago, when I was having trouble with Alexa, I did "forget all". Then, I couldn't discover all my devices. I had to uncheck voice command from all my devices, and I was able to add a room at a time. But in the past day, I did "forget all" and "discover" twice. Both times, Alexa discovered all my devices. I didn't have to do the one device at a time or one room at a time strategy that I did months before. But despite all my devices being discovered, I still have the 2 problems that I mentioned earlier (1) Alexa no longer works with "turn off/on <room> lights" without requiring a virtual device "named <room> lights" and (2) I keep getting "sorry <device> not responding" error. It works sometimes, but most of the time, Alexa says "sorry <device> not responding". My network performance is fine, so don't know what changed in the past week or two to cause this problem. In the past, I would only get "sorry <device> not responding" rarely (1% of the time, maybe?), but now, I get it the majority of the time.

Comment

Okay, Alexa seems to be working reliably again... Earlier, I did "forget all" followed by discover. All devices were discovered properly, but the majority of time, I would get "sorry <device> not responding". I did this twice. On my 3rd attempt, I also disabled and reenabled the HomeSeer SmartHome skill, then did discover. After this, Alexa is working reliably again.

I recreated all my Alexa groups, where each group corresponds to a room in my home and consists of the Echo in that room and the lights in that room. Saying "Alexa, turn off lights" to the Echo in a room will cause Alexa to turn off the lights in the room, as it used to do before. As I mentioned earlier, before I disabled/enabled the HomeSeer skill, the voice command "Alexa, turn off <room name> lights" was no longer working reliable. In the past, this command would turn off the lights associated with the group. But it wasn't working anymore, so I created a HomeSeer virtual device for each room (named "<room name> lights"), and created on and off events for each room's virtual device that would turn on and off the lights in that room. I used to do this a long long time ago, but stopped needing to do this virtual device/event method after Alexa started working with groups. But somehow, the "Alexa, turn off <room name> lights" functionality stopped working in the past few days, so I went back to the virtual device/events method. I don't know if this is a new problem, or if it would have been fixed if I had just enabled and reenabled the HomeSeer SmartHome skill. But after doing all the work of recreating virtual devices & events, I'll leave them as is, since things are working fine now.

I don't understand why every few months Alexa starts saying, with more frequency "sorry <device name> is not responding", even though I haven't changed anything in my home. I have to disable/forget/enable/discover my devices to resolve things. Kind of a pain having to recreate the Alexa groups. Do things just get corrupted, or is there some migration or new functionality that's done in Amazon servers that corrupts things, thereby necessitating disable/forget/enable/discover?

Comment

Working...
                              X