No announcement yet.

Alexa skill doesn't work. Tried everything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got it working. Slightly annoying however this is how I did it and it didn't take long.

Displayed all my devices including all the hidden ones. Enabled bulk edit. Selected every device then selected "disable voice" on the bulk actions menu.
    After that I deleted all my devices on the web based alexa (alexa.amazon.co.uk) and then ran a discover to check nothing was discovered.
    Then I reselected all the devices that I wanted to control with Alexa and used the bulk actions option again to "enable voice'
    I then did another rediscovery in Alexa and not only were the devices discovered they are now controllable.

I hope this makes sense and might help someone else. It not a very elegant solution but at least it now works. I have 15 devices and these were all sorted into rooms in the alexa app which I have now redone but it was a little tedious.

I'm not sure what the Bug is but ideally I'd like not to have to do that again.
    Thanks for all the help

Comment

Spoke too soon. I think it may be an issue with zwave devices in alexa as my other devices are ok.

What I have found by doing some testing is that if I enable the Zwave Root device instead of the actual light alexa discovers it and I am also able to control it. However alexa says "there was a problem" under the device name. I can now control the device which is a step in the right direction.

Comment

phillb, chuckk9032 your logs show "request=echocontrol" which is a request that was used by the original homeseer skill which is no longer available. The current skills are no longer supposed to use this request. A side effect of a change made in 4.1.17.0 broke this request, we are going to fix it so that it in the next version of HS4, it works as in 4.1.16.0. That being said, could you try to remove the skill you are currently using and add back the new skill? this should fix your issue without having to wait for the next version of HS4.

nickgosling, your logs show the correct request i.e, "request=controldevicebycontroluse", so your issue is different and not linked to the 4.1.17.0 version. If you still have issues with Alexa, I would advise to create a service desk ticket.

Comment

Thanks so much for your quick response happy to try the new skill what’s its name is it HomeSeer smart home and does it work in the UK. But also happy to wait for next release

Comment

Originally posted by phillb View Post
            Thanks so much for your quick response happy to try the new skill what’s its name is it HomeSeer smart home and does it work in the UK. But also happy to wait for next release
            The skill you want is https://docs.homeseer.com/display/HS...ll+Integration
            Not sure if it is available in the UK though, please tell me.

Comment

Saw the same thing start yesterday after support (working on another problem) "did something" they looked into computer and after that alexa cannot contact devices.

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
                I'm trying to investigate the Alexa issues that happen specifically with HS 4.1.17.0
                If you have some problems with Alexa with other versions please open new threads
                Jez,
                zakrzep
                can you tell me if you are using the HomeSeer Home Automation Skill (i.e tell HomeSeer) or the HomeSeer SmartHome Skill ?
                I'm using the Homeseer skill but it looks like there is a different Smarthome skill available now. I’ll give it a try with .17
                Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Jez View Post

.. a different Smarthome skill available now.
                  Hi, what is it?

Comment

It appears there are two different passwords. I set the Myhs password and then alexa would not link. Alex logs into RemoteHS. I did a forgot password-1 on that (set to the same) and ta-da. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post

The skill you want is https://docs.homeseer.com/display/HS...ll+Integration
                      Not sure if it is available in the UK though, please tell me.
                      I have now installed the “HomeSeer smart home” skill all appears tickety boo thanks spud. I have taken the opportunity to sort a load of stuff out lol

Comment

Originally posted by phillb View Post

I have now installed the “HomeSeer smart home” skill all appears tickety boo thanks spud. I have taken the opportunity to sort a load of stuff out lol
                        Glad to say that I’ve also upgraded to the “Homeseer smart home” skill and I’m able to control my devices with .17. Thanks for the troubleshooting and solution Spud and all others.

Comment

I always had both skills installed. If I just keep the “Homeseer smart home”, will I still be able to run events with this skill?

Comment

I am having the same issue with Alexa since the update. I added and enabled the Alexa Homeseer Smart Home skill and that did nothing. I am unable to get Alexa to control my Zwave devices (its primarily what HS interfaces with Alexa for me) . Where can I download the 4.1.16 version so I can roll it back. Everything had been working fine prior to this update.

Comment

Originally posted by zakrzep View Post
                              I always had both skills installed. If I just keep the “Homeseer smart home”, will I still be able to run events with this skill?
                              Yes you can. You state Alexa run 'event voice command' ie Alexa run shut blinds.
                              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thank Rupp. I was able to get it to work by enabling the voice option and adding adding the voice command to the event. However, devices still do not work unless I do the same thing. I have to add the voice command for it to work. Will not just recognize the device by name.

Comment

Working...
                                X