Amazon Echo Dot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
    Are we talking about HS3 device names or the Amazon echo "wake" word?

I am using only virtual HS3 devices for Alexa. That way I can name them anything I want. They are all on/off only. I then use events that are triggered by the virtual Alexa device change. This allows all kinds of flexibility. It is very fast and works well. So if multiple echos, hear "Alexa, dining room lights on", the dining room lights will come on regardless of which echo hears it. I like this behavior. I would never be able to remember multiple names for the echo! I can't even call my grandkids by their right name!

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Wake words..

Virtual is the only way to go with the echo as far as I'm concerned. I know some have asked for it to be part of the devices, but I'm finding that I'm almost doing more with events than direct control of a device, particularly with the sound systems (Sonos, Onkyo, OnQ) which are not discoverable devices.

Z

Comment

Does it work with the ZeeTroller?

Originally posted by Qbus View Post
      I just got my dot. dose the amazon echo not work with zee? I cant find the enable voice command button.
      Hi - I was wondering if you ever got an answer to this. I'd like to use a couple of Dots with my Zee if I can use them for Voice command.

thanks.

Ed

Comment

The checkbox for enabling voice command is on the configuration page of each HS3 device.

The voice command is enabled by default these days so it should be set on all new devices (except door locks).
        Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

Why are there two Homeseer skills for the Echo? What's the difference?

I was able to get Alexa to open the garage door by saying "Alexa turn on garage door." However I had to say the same words in order to close the garage door. Is there a work around?

At this point I removed the Homeseer skill and will try again once I understand it better. Any suggestions appreciated.

Comment

Details here: http://www.homeseer.com/amazon-echo-integration.html
            Jon

Comment

Thanks, I hadn't seen that. However, I read somewhere on this board that someone had both of them enabled, so of course I tried that but in the Alexa skills only one shows up. Have the skills changed so that they're one and the same, or am I missing something basic?

And of course I'm still wondering about turning the garage door as opposed to opening and closing. This of course would be an added benefit since the HS app does show the status and controls it perfectly. Some family members would rather control via voice vs. an app. Sigh...

Comment

No they are both available and can be enabled at the same time. You will only see one in the Smart Home skills settings in Alexa. That's the one that does not need the words 'Tell/Ask Homeseer to...' The other one should be found in the skills section then 'Your Skills' (top right).

If you get the Homeseer skill working and run HS3 on Windows, you can also use my helper script to make it more user friendly to operate things.
                Jon

Comment

Working...
                X