Virtual names?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtual names?

Pardon my ignorance if this seems like an obvious question.

What's the "correct way" to support using more than one name for a device?

As in, make for a higher WAF by allowing some lights to be controlled with multiple names. Assuming name collision can be avoided, of course.

Because what makes sense for device labeling via text/web/app interfaces isn't necessarily what you'd want to use for voice commands.

I'd also like to avoid renaming lights based on whims. In the rec room we have multiple ceiling light circuits. Their 'designed purpose' was for a pool table, card table and main lighting. The pool table light has an air hockey table under it, there's foosball where the card table light shines and 'Rec Room Recessed Lights' just doesn't roll off the tongue...

How should I go about creating 'virtual' items to allow Alexa to control them with other names?

Air hockey light, foosball light, basement ceiling, rec room ceiling, etc, are various ways the lighting might be referenced.

That and how should 'groups' be utilized? As in, 'turn off basement lights', 'turn on bedtime lights', and the like.

If you only want to control them via voice commands as the "virtual" names you could create the virtual devices, give them voice command, and the create events that control the other lights based on changes to the virtual devices. It is real easy if the devices you want to control are just on/off, but it gets more complex if you want to dim the lights because then you would need multiple events, or a script to get the virtual device value to the real device.

For the groups, once you have the devices created in Alexa, then you can create groups and put whatever devices you want into the groups. So if you have three lights in the basement, create a group called Basement lights, and then the command would be "turn off basement lights" and all the devices in that group will turn off.

Comment

What are the pros/cons of grouping in the Alexa app vs in HS3?

As in, would I be better served having a virtual item in HS3 called 'Basement Lights' and having that presented as a single device to Alexa.

I'm unclear on what HS3 considers a virtual device. Is there no way to mirror all aspects of a device just using a different name?

Ideally, I'll name the actual devices with their most commonly used name. But I'd want to avoid the inevitable hit on the WAF by having some names not 'the same' as others.

Comment

Originally posted by sonypoolplr View Post
        It is real easy if the devices you want to control are just on/off, but it gets more complex if you want to dim the lights because then you would need multiple events, or a script to get the virtual device value to the real device.
        Should be easy to create a virtual device mirroring a real device if you have Spud's EasyTrigger plugin with the Then action "Set Device to another Device." It it an excellent value too at only $20. I also recommend visiting the Virtual Device forum and the instructional post by Randy Prade in particular for all the details you ever wanted to know about creating virtual devices. That will show how to create one with the same ranges as a dimming light it is mirroring.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=181973

Another alternative to a virtual device for an alias name is simply to create a Group in the Alexa app with only the one device in it. IMO it's easier to do than creating virtual devices and events. One drawback is if you need to delete all your devices for some reason to re-discover the latest list of voice enabled devices, that function in the Alexa app also deletes your Groups. Would be a bummer if you had many Groups defined.

John

Comment

Originally posted by wkearney99 View Post
          What are the pros/cons of grouping in the Alexa app vs in HS3?

As in, would I be better served having a virtual item in HS3 called 'Basement Lights' and having that presented as a single device to Alexa.

I'm unclear on what HS3 considers a virtual device. Is there no way to mirror all aspects of a device just using a different name?

Ideally, I'll name the actual devices with their most commonly used name. But I'd want to avoid the inevitable hit on the WAF by having some names not 'the same' as others.

A very easy approach is to create an event to turn the device on and one to turn it off and set up multiple recognized phrases as triggers in the event trigger section. You can easily add all the different names you want this way. For example, watch recorded television, recordings or watch recorded tv all trigger the same event. Hope this helps

Tis a good question that is asked this day

Comment

Good responses from everyone, lots to consider.

Using events is something I'm considering, as a lot of automation can be considered 'activity oriented'. The trick is determining the structure of the events and then finding effective syntax that defines them in a relatively natural way.

Amazon's handling of automation devices could definitely benefit from additional development. The lack of per-interface "reloading" stinks. That and the lack of per-device identification is even more annoying. Or just simple renaming of devices to better suit Alexa control. I'm astounded there's no way for a developer to tell WHICH device was used to initiate a command!

What's more annoying, in the immediate sense, is discovery gets pushed to ALL devices on the account. Quite annoying to have the wife's Echo in her office spouting off about discovery completion when it's not even in the same location.

Comment

Discovery only seems to get pushed to all devices in the account when you initiate discovery by pressing the button in the app. If you ask it by voice to do a discovery, then it seems only that specific device responds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X