Skill stopped working, sorry I do not understand your request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skill stopped working, sorry I do not understand your request

I have converted my Echo from the US to UK. I now have both skills back. The api is working fine, so I can say Alexa turn on xxx and she does it. I have not used the other skill for a while, and I just tried Alexa, tell Homeseer to turn on xxx, the response is Sorry I do not understand your question. The Homeseer skill is successfully linked to my account. I even disabled, enabled, and linked again. Same result. In the Alexa app I can see the request, and she understood perfectly what I said, so that was not the problem. I have tried other devices too with the same result. They all work with the api.
    Attached Files

Hi,

I actually had a play around with my Amazon account etc last night to find out exactly how it works. It seems your account is currently in a split status.

Here is how it goes. You Amazon account can either be located in the UK or in the US (But not both at the same time). I experimented with switching them last night and at times ended up with some very odd results using Alexa.

In your case, try logging into your amazon account. Go to Your Account > Manage your content and devices. See if you have a settings tab, and if so go into it and check your country settings. If you cannot see the settings tab it will probably say something about your kindle account being managed by Amazon.com (not .co.uk).

If your account is linked to Amazon.com, you will need to log into Amazon.com and go to the same place as above, then change your country back to United Kingdom. If you then log back into your UK account, there is a link to migrate your account back to amazon.co.uk. (I can't remember the exact link name at the moment so will make a post later).

From my experiments it is possible to migrate your account back to the USA and set up your alexa and then migrate your account back afterwards (You won't be able to access Prime Music etc though).

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I'm tired and haven't woken up yet lol!

Comment

Did you mean the alexa.amazon account ? I had a look in my normal amazon.co.uk and .com account, under apps and devices I cannot find my Echo in either

I had a look in my alexa.amazon account, I have nothing to migrate it. I could ask customer service again to move it, just a little worried I loose the skills again...
      But in my settings it shows the Homeseer plugin as offline. I did see that a while ago, but never took notice as I only use the api. But now I am trying to test something so need the skill working.

Comment

You cannot see your Amazon.com account without actually migrating the account. Even if you think you are going to amazon.com and logging it, you will still see your .co.uk account.

I will give you some instructions but it is totally up to you if you follow these or just go to Amazon support (Although I had no luck with them).

Go to Amazon.co.uk > Your Account > Manage Content and Devices > Settings. Under Country settings click change. Enter a fake US Address (I used http://www.fakeaddressgenerator.com/ nb. you need to remove the dashes from the telephone number.

Click update. You will get a warning, click update again.

Your account is now moved to the USA and you can click the Continue to Manage your content and Devices.

Click the Devices tab and here you will see any Alexa devices registered to your US account. If your echo is here then you can either set it up or unregister it etc. To make changes to the settings at this point, close down any web browser or the alexa app. And then log back in. This will now be logged in as your US account. (alexa.amazon.com)

If you want to make your echo a true UK echo then unregister it from here, but that means you will lose access to the API skill until it becomes available on the UK skill store.

Once you have finished making any changes you will probably want to move your amazon account back to the UK if you use any UK services (otherwise just leave it there).

To migrate back, go to the settings in manage content and devices again. Change country and from the list choose your UK address again. You will get a success message. Now at the top you will see a message saying "Great news! You can now shop for digital content directly from Amazon.co.uk" Click on the link to "Learn more about updating your default Kindle Store to Amazon.co.uk"

Click on the button tha says "Transfer your Kindle account to Amazon.co.uk". Your account is now back in the UK and when you log into Alexa you will see your UK settings.

Comment

I don't want to loose the api. I think for the time being I will finish my skill, which I started creating from the tutorial, just never got around finishing it. I will see if I can test with that, if not I will use your method and migrate my Alexa, that doesn't look to complicated

Comment

If your api is currently working then my guess would be that your Alexa is still linked to your US account since the api is not available in the UK yet.

So in theory if you log into your US account using the above method, install the advanced homeseer skill and link it to your homeseer, and then migrate your amazon account back, it should leave your alexa as it is but with both the api and the advanced skill enabled. I have done this with my Raspberry PI to configure alexa on it.

If it all goes wrong, just migrate your account to US. Reset your echo and set it back up whilst your account is still linked to US. This will give you access to the US skills etc. Once all working, move your account back to the UK.

Comment

Ok that's a good idea. And Alexa support have confirmed to me that my Alexa is still linked to the US. But it must be half way in the UK, as I now get the National Rail skill which I didn't when I was purely US. But I can live without that, just don't want to loose Homeseer, got really used to using Alexa to control my HS3. Seems to take a long time for amazon to approve the UK skill and api.

Comment

Working...
              X