Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Alexa report status of homeseer devices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Alexa report status of homeseer devices?

I have a virtual device that I turn on and off from alexa

Can I somehow say something like
    “Alexa, get status of guest mode”
    And have her respond with current status?

I can do similar with my thermostat via the Alexa Bryant skill...
    “Alexa, what is thermostat set to?”

But unsure how to do it with homeseer smart home devices.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ArbWare; August 17, 2018, 06:27 AM.
    Regards,

Andrew B.

Using the original Alexa Skill, you can say "Alexa, ask Homeseer to get status of <device>". I don't use modes, but I suspect it works the same.

Comment

Please do not laugh at the convolution here but sort of. I do not know of a direct way, but there is an indirect way.

Create a homeseer event that emails you the status of a device (or devices).
      Send the email a unique email address
      For example, I want to know the status of the thermostat battery - the body of the email reads - the thermostat battery is at $$DSR:410:
      Set the event as voice enabled in homeseer and a then make that scene into a routine in Alexa
      Enable an email reader in Alexa like mail bot.
      Issue your routine command - mine is Alexa, thermostat battery
      Then ask Alexa to read your email from the unique email address

The routine command sends the email, then you need the mail app to read it.

Comment

Originally posted by wkomorow View Post
        Please do not laugh at the convolution here but sort of. I do not know of a direct way, but there is an indirect way.

Create a homeseer event that emails you the status of a device (or devices).
        Send the email a unique email address
        For example, I want to know the status of the thermostat battery - the body of the email reads - the thermostat battery is at $$DSR:410:
        Set the event as voice enabled in homeseer and a then make that scene into a routine in Alexa
        Enable an email reader in Alexa like mail bot.
        Issue your routine command - mine is Alexa, thermostat battery
        Then ask Alexa to read your email from the unique email address

The routine command sends the email, then you need the mail app to read it.
        Not laughing at all... loving the ingenuity!
        I’ll give it a try

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

I use the original Homeseer Skill and Jon00's Alexa Helper Script. In the "Alexa Response" line, just substitute the Device ID (my screenshot uses 1463). This gives your more control over both the command and Alexa's response.
          Attached Files
          My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

I had forgotten entirely about Jon00's helper ... it will do exactly what i need.
            Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

My use case example: Push a button on a Z-Wave device and have a specific Echo device announce time. I can create the triggers and virtual device, but can Jon00's helper be triggered not by voice input, but an HS event, and cause Echo to, for example, announce the current time? Thank you.

Comment

Working...
              X