Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Alexa API for Sensors

https://venturebeat.com/2018/08/28/a...k-into-a-room/

Would love to see this come to Homeseer ASAP.

Is it on the radar?

Id love to trigger Alexa routines based off of sensors I already have in my system.

I think it is only for zigbee devices right now.

Comment

Originally posted by wkomorow View Post
      I think it is only for zigbee devices right now.
      Zigbee on for the Echo Plus.

The API is open for all kinds of sensors.

Comment

I'd love to see this too... of course, I'm a biased source This is a little more complex than setting up the control directives, however.

For control directives, the HomeSeer SmartHome cloud skill merely needs to forward the control directive to the appropriate client instance for execution, and presumably there is code on your local instance running on your box that executes the commands. I've even set up my own little smart home skill for testing that uses the JSON interface for control purposes (including color control for JowiHue lights, but I think a lack of standardization on handling color inside SmartHome is probably preventing generic color control, but that's a different issue altogether).

The sensor API works in the opposite direction, so definitely would require an update on your local install with a newer version that would support relaying state changes back to the HomeSeer cloud, which would then have to turn around and forward them to the Amazon cloud. In addition to the local software version update, there would have to be some cloud server listening to these requests and forwarding them appropriately (which I don't know if myhs is set up to do that or not), and the scale at which these events come in is likely to be happening at a *much* higher rate than control events going out, since you probably have dozens of sensor events (or more) for every voice control event enacted. That would likely require some substantial investment on the part of HS to get that service up and running, even if it's just a pass-through to the Amazon cloud.

In summary, I think onboarding the sensor API is a little more up-front effort than adding a new control directive, so let's make sure we cut enough slack to the guys working hard to onboard new features as fast as they can and with as high quality as they can, especially since a lot of their efforts are directed at their own software package rather than only at Alexa support.

Comment

That awesome...
          Hector
          MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
          AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

additional info

https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/a...ome-developers
            Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

No where they mention zwave...😩
              Hector
              MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
              AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
                No where they mention zwave...😩
                But if it can act on a "Virtual" sensor that HS controls... that would cover all the needs that i have.. (could mirror the zwave motions that i need, as well as more complex logic.)
                Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

So, I've been playing with this a bit. If you're comfortable creating your own smart home skills, then it's not too bad. In my (very crude) prototype, I setup a simple NodeJS socket client connecting to the homeseer ascii interface to watch for device state changes. Specifically, I was watching state changes for a door sensor I've hooked up to an exterior gate. When running the Alexa device discovery for this custom skill, I'm sending the device info for that door sensor configured as a CONTACT_SENSOR type, as well as specifying that it's capable of generating change reports. And, of course, when I get a status change from the socket client for that device, I publish a change report for that device to the Alexa event gateway endpoint. It's a bit more complicated than that, such as dealing with the Alexa event gateway authorization and such, but that's the jist of it.

The result is that I can now select that as a trigger for Alexa routines. When that gate is opened, I can do things like have an echo inside the house report it to me. Not to mention just being able to ask Alexa for the status of the gate.

Comment

did this ever go anywhere?
                    HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
                    53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
                    https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

Working...
                    X