Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homeseer announcements (TTS) through Alexa. aka: You don't need IFTTT anymore.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This functionality is getting closer but continues to miss the mark. 1.Appears Ring (and Nest?) are the only ones supported. I have ring floodlight and ring doorbell so works with those. But so many other devices I would want to use! 2.I have a couple of Echo Shows, bedroom and kitchen, if I can make them talk, why can't I make them automatically show the darn camera when triggered!

I know... preaching to the choir!

Comment

Being able to access the Ring cameras including two way audio is coming although it’s not clear when.

At least we’re getting closer.
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
      Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
      Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
      3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
      4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
      3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
      SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

So I've been running with my Ring sending motion alerts to HS for almost two weeks and it's been working great. The only complaint I have is having to create a routine for every Alexa in the house if I want them all to announce motion events. Hopefully Ring/Amazon will be able to setup a way so you can group rings when making announcements.

Anyway, I've been using a fixed timeout to turn off lights that Ring turns on which does work well. However, I wanted it to keep the lights on as long as there is motion. So I went back and created another routine that triggers when the Ring doesn't sense motion for some given period of time and have it turn off the lights. Well, it works great so now if the motion lasts for 10 minutes the lights will stay on for 10 minutes. I'm keeping the timeout as a backup but it will be set for a MUCH longer period of time just incase something breaks.

I've written Events that save the Light state when motion is detected and restores the light to that state when motion stops. If you change the light during the time motion is on it will still return to the state is was before motion.

OMT, you have to set the timeout period of time in the Alexa routine. If you want to control the timeout in HS the smallest time period will be 1 minute as that's the minimum you can set the Ring device to. Personally, I happy keeping that setting on the camera since it's much quicker to change than changing it inside of HS. I will control some lights to only turn on during nighttime but other I will allow to trigger at any time. Example, the lights at the front door will turn on instantly but the carriage lights on the front of the house will only turn on at night. That way anyone entering the short hall before the front door will know that they have been detected.
        Last edited by Timon; October 30, 2018, 09:03 AM.
        Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Comment

Oh my god, it would be awesome to get the TTS working so Homeseer could push speech to the Echo's. I'm desperate to get rid of my aging homeseer speaker client which plays over a couple of speakers dotted around the house. How awesome would it be to have control and speech all contained within one device!

Comment

I just wish that HS would tell us if they're working on this so at least we know. I'm checking the beta but I'm not sure if it's being worked on. Please HS can you update us on this?

From what I've see with the ring app I think there is a possibility that we would be able to send the text from HS3 to Alexa however it may only be able to be played on a single Echo. At least that's how it seems based on playing with the Ring app. I haven't found the exact coding reference to if you can send to multiple Echos as the same time in the Alexa APIs but then I haven't read through all of it yet as I've been busy on other things.

Comment

This is mentioned in the beta release notes, edited by Rick.

"Changes from 3.0.0.470 to 3.0.0.478:

* Added check_vcmd2.vb script hook for getting Amazon Echo device ID"

There's more but that line caught my eye. Why would HS3 need to reference echos device IDs? It's bugger all to be basing hopes off of but its something.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...-release-notes

Comment

I didn’t catch that but your right. Could that be the way to send messages? Only time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Fellhahn View Post
                  This is mentioned in the beta release notes, edited by Rick.

"Changes from 3.0.0.470 to 3.0.0.478:

* Added check_vcmd2.vb script hook for getting Amazon Echo device ID"

There's more but that line caught my eye. Why would HS3 need to reference echos device IDs? It's bugger all to be basing hopes off of but its something.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...-release-notes
                  Don't get your hopes too high. That change was made as discussed in this forum post: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...ild-435/page11

Mainly to support identifying which Echo device processed a voice command, so 3rd party scripts like Jon00's echo script could make decisions based on device room location. It was made available in the Amazon API but wasn't available to HS3 scripters until this change.

Discussed on page 11 of that post.

Comment

following
                    Hector
                    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Ah, I really need such a feature. Have you heard any news from HS to include this? SmartThings can already do it and probably others as well.

Comment

Nothing yet. Ring has done it so it can speak although there are a few issues. The feature basically allow HS to trigger Alexa routines. See my early posts in this thread and you can see how it's done.

Right now the only thing I'd like to hear from HS is if they have found out how the feature works not when they can do it. I'd rather see them take some time working out the details so we have the most flexibility.

Comment

Universal Devices has it implemented where you can present any device as a "sensor" for use in an Alexa routine. It works very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Timon View Post
                            Nothing yet. Ring has done it so it can speak although there are a few issues. The feature basically allow HS to trigger Alexa routines. See my early posts in this thread and you can see how it's done.

Right now the only thing I'd like to hear from HS is if they have found out how the feature works not when they can do it. I'd rather see them take some time working out the details so we have the most flexibility.
                            I have a SkyBell and they don't have any integration yet so I can't do what you are doing with Ring.That's why I would very much appreciate if HS can do TTS through Alexa.

Ring does this through Alexa's new doorbell API.

https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/a...and-monitoring

So this is specifically for doorbells and has to come from doorbell manufacturers, I believe. However, besides doorbells Alexa can also accept contacts and motion sensors as triggers. So all HS has to do is allowing us to create virtual contacts and then we can use those to trigger Alexa routines.

Comment

Even if the only thing HS can use you’ll still be able to speak. That’s already working in Alexa you just can’t send the text but have to put it in locally.

Comment

I must be missing or misunderstanding something. Are you saying it's already possible to have some event in HS that makes Alexa speak something? If so how do you do that?

Comment

Working...
                                X