Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homeseer announcements (TTS) through Alexa. aka: You don't need IFTTT anymore.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by George View Post
    Here ya go, not exactly line in, but you won't be able to tell that it's not!

Google is your best friend!

Hmm. Not sure why I have never thought about this. I actually have a device to do it. I will try it! Perhaps that will show whether or not the Echo listens to what is played through its own speaker.....

THANKS!

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
    On the Echo Plus Gen 2 the 3.5mm port can be configured as either line out or line in within the Alexa app. I think line out is the default.
    I KNEW IT! Perhaps there is some issue and they are not advertizing it? THANKS for the help!!

Rob

Comment

Probably a point specific problem that only smart people (geeks) like us would have an interest in doing something like this! LOL

Comment

If running on a Windows PC you can bluetooth pair echo's and send "music" mp3 files to the echo that way. The only issue is the echo will go to sleep if there's nothing playing so people use a continuous loop of silence to keep the BT connection alive.

Seems like a lot of hoops just to get the echo to announce sensor status when the capability exists but HS just hasn't implemented it yet. I found for me using my ISY for TTS through Echo's works great and so do Google Mini's with the Chromecast plugin.

Comment

Here slowly (baby steps) integrating use of MQTT (mcsMQTT) with Homeseer and Home Assistant.

I have one DOT connected to the Russound system. It is more than just TTS. Fast and running fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HA-TTS-Alexa.jpg
Views:	1055
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1310092
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Even cheaper than a dot. Just get an Echo Input and don't hook up it's speaker! You can run a small speaker right off the audio output jack on your sound card and lay it right on top of the Input so that even the command that HS is issuing isn't heard through the house.
            Since HS4 still doesn't seem to support announcements through Alexa (hopefully it will come and they just didn't list it), this topic has become pretty relevant again. So I did get an Echo Input and a small speaker that I put right next to it. I then have events setup as "Alexa <silence mSec='2000' /> announce...". Alexa actually starts listening as the blue light starts blinking. However, even after the sentence is done it keeps blinking blue and eventually starts blinking red and no announcement is being done. I also tried it myself with the same result. When I try it on a different Echo device it works just fine.

Comment

You really should check the other thread, getting node red up means you can do announcements, TTS and even control of devices direct to any echo device.
              https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...home-assistant.

Comment

Has anyone successfully connected from HS PC to an echo dot by Bluetooth and was able to send a command ("Announce....") that the dot then sent to other echo devices? This is mentioned several times above as a possible solution but never confirmed that it works. ("Question is
                whether or not the Echo listens to what is played through its own speaker.....")

I have done the Jon00 speaker to dot workaround but find it is not reliable and the announcements are hard to understand. I would purchase the aux-in-to-Bluetooth device mentioned above (my HS PC does not have Bluetooth) if I had some assurance it will work.

Comment

I have used an Echo connected via Bluetooth for a couple of years now as my main HS speaker. Just recently I noticed that at the completion of a HS speech event, the Echo adds the phrase "Playing from HSPC" (HSPC is the name of my Homeseer PC, device connected via Bluetooth). I have scoured the settings for this Echo and account in general and cannot find anything that has changed. Brief mode is enabled and I have turned off Song ID. Has anyone else experienced this behavior? I am going to explore the node red solution for TTS and announcements as I can't seem to clear this issue up.

Comment

Originally posted by MrX10 View Post
                    I have used an Echo connected via Bluetooth for a couple of years now as my main HS speaker. Just recently I noticed that at the completion of a HS speech event, the Echo adds the phrase "Playing from HSPC" (HSPC is the name of my Homeseer PC, device connected via Bluetooth). I have scoured the settings for this Echo and account in general and cannot find anything that has changed. Brief mode is enabled and I have turned off Song ID. Has anyone else experienced this behavior? I am going to explore the node red solution for TTS and announcements as I can't seem to clear this issue up.
                    yup
                    I suspect it's a software update to the Echo. Bezo's was probably not happy that "we" use "his" device to make our own announcements

Z

Comment

Originally posted by Timon View Post
                      Alexa seems to have been updated so it will speak announcements in real time. All ring cameras and doorbells can now sent motion and button alerts through the Alexa app. Not only will Alexa speak that motion or a ring has been detected (even with your own text) you can trigger scenes and other action through routines.

I'm no longer triggering my motion and doorbell events using ring through Alexa and no longer using IFTTT. It also seems to be much quicker.

I'm wondering if HS is aware of this and is finding out what they need to do so we can send TTS through Alexa?
                      You might try the "Virtual Buttons" skill:
                      It emulates a ring doorbell button notification for real time alerts. Since it creates a virtual device (no hub needed), you can select which Amazon Echos you want to speak the notification. First virtual button is free, Patreon subscription thereafter.

You can configure the virtual button to not say, "Somebody is at Virtual Button..." by reading the related FAQ https://www.patreon.com/posts/faq-31464026

It's made by the same developer who did the "Notify Me" skill:
                      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BB2FYFS

It does a notification like a shipping notification, to all echos. Not ideal if you have housemates and don't want to have the whole house know your adult diapers have arrived.

Comment

Working...
                      X