Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alexa TTS that works well, same solution as for Home Assistant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today, Alexa started announcing “underscore” for every space in a sentence. Has anyone else experienced this?

Comment

Originally posted by fcol View Post
      Today, Alexa started announcing “underscore” for every space in a sentence. Has anyone else experienced this?
      Yes, anyone know a work around?

Steve

Comment

Replacing spaces with hyphens seems to work.

Comment

Replacing spaces with hyphens seems to work.
          Thanks, that does it.
          Until they change something else!

Is there any info anywhere on special characters or other ways of affecting the way a phrase is spoken, inserting pauses for example?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post
            Is there any info anywhere on special characters or other ways of affecting the way a phrase is spoken, inserting pauses for example?
            20 hyphens seems to introduce a suitable pause between sentences where I would previously have had a full stop.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post

20 hyphens seems to introduce a suitable pause between sentences where I would previously have had a full stop.
              Why everyone changes stuff on us 😂, it took weeks to make it to work and I just when I was almost done with this project. When you seem to have reach a mountain, there is another one next ot it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm using JSON calls from Homeseer to SmartThings via Webcore for Alexa TTS and I haven't had any issues with spaces being spoken as "underscore". All TTS is working normally for me. So you may want to look more closely at your Homeseer TTS script for possible causes.

--Barry

Comment

Same here. Is the funniest thing... Been away all week and when it pipes up with a long sentence with underscores my wife was not impressed.... Told me it's been doing it all week

Comment

I’m not home to see this but I have kicked off a tts notification manually and reviewed voice commands under Alexa. It shows no underscore TTS.

im also using this version from what I remember. I think this is because the version posted wouldn’t work with routines. This version does.

https://github.com/thorsten-gehrig/alexa-remote-control

Comment

Originally posted by mik3y View Post
                      I’m not home to see this but I have kicked off a tts notification manually and reviewed voice commands under Alexa. It shows no underscore TTS.

im also using this version from what I remember. I think this is because the version posted wouldn’t work with routines. This version does.

https://github.com/thorsten-gehrig/alexa-remote-control
                      I was using an older version of that script (from Jan 2019). After switching to the latest version (2/9/20), the "underscore" issue went away (although I had already fixed most of my events to use the hyphen workaround). In any case, the latest script seems to have some nice advancements. I'm looking forward to trying "TTS to multiroom groups/announcement" and support for some of the built-in sounds from the Alexa sound library. Thanks!

Comment

I was using an older version of that script (from Jan 2019). After switching to the latest version (2/9/20), the "underscore" issue went away (although I had already fixed most of my events to use the hyphen workaround). In any case, the latest script seems to have some nice advancements. I'm looking forward to trying "TTS to multiroom groups/announcement" and support for some of the built-in sounds from the Alexa sound library. Thanks!
                        Does anyone know what is the difference between the Alexa and Alexa 2 script?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Has anyone figured out how to pass a device value string into the scripts? I want it to report weather alerting but need to have this brought into the script.

$$DSR:ID:

Comment

Originally posted by mik3y View Post
                            Has anyone figured out how to pass a device value string into the scripts? I want it to report weather alerting but need to have this brought into the script.

$$DSR:ID:
                            you can't pass a device value with replacement variable into a script. I had a way to do it but loss the post. You have the embed a fuction into another fonction in sscripyt

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post

you can't pass a device value with replacement variable into a script. I had a way to do it but loss the post. You have the embed a fuction into another fonction in sscripyt
                              I just wanted to let you know I got something working.

I ended up creating a script to do this work. Here is an example for anyone else that may be interested.

I have an event watching a weather device. If that weather device turns on, it loads this script.

---------

Sub Main(parm as object)

Dim strWeather as String
                              strWeather = hs.DeviceString(2446)
                              hs.writelog("Alexa Weather Script","Sending Weather Alert announcement to your echo devices")
                              hs.writelog("Alexa Weather Script",strWeather)

Dim cmd as String = "C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe"
                              Dim params as String = "/c c:\wsl.exe /home/mike/alexa/alexa_remote_control.sh -e speak:"
                              Dim params2 as String = params + "'" + strWeather + "'"
                              System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(cmd,params2)

End Sub

---------

Comment

Working...
                              X