Alexa Integration Seems to be Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tbever View Post

I selected all devices and disabled voice commands, then I went back and enabled voice commands on the appropriate devices.
    I disabled the two homeseer skills in Alexa, then I enabled the newer homeseer smarthome skill (I guess I had the older homeseer skill enabled). I went through the discovery process and it discovered the homeseer devices, but when I tried them it was a no go, still saying the "please check the connection or power supply" error.
    Then I enabled the homeseer home automation skill, relinked it and discovered the devices. Now the command: ask homeseer to turn xxx ON works again but the other skill does not (homeseer smarthome skill).
    Did you look at the devices in your skill to ensure you are referencing them by the correct name as listed. Login to https://alexa.amazon.com/ > Chose SmartHome > Choose Devices. Look at the names which are displayed. Many of mine changed since Fridays update. This is using the HomeSeer SmartHome Skill.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

What I did is just do a Forget all devices, disabled and re-enabled the homeseer smarthome skill, then did another discover devices. Now thank goodness both skills are working. Oddly it did rename all the devices in the discovery process. It gave the room and floor prior to each device. I don't think I can edit them within the Alexa page but fortunately the simple name voice command (ie kitchen overhead lights vs first kitchen kitchen overhead lights) still seems to work like it did before. I have a few group commands that I have to recreate but that's not a big deal. Thanks for your help. The issue did seem to be the old homeseer skill. I did not realize it was updated.

Comment

What I did is just do a Forget all devices, disabled and re-enabled the homeseer smarthome skill, then did another discover devices. Now thank goodness both skills are working. Oddly it did rename all the devices in the discovery process. It gave the room and floor prior to each device. I don't think I can edit them within the Alexa page but fortunately the simple name voice command (ie kitchen overhead lights vs first kitchen kitchen overhead lights) still seems to work like it did before. I have a few group commands that I have to recreate but that's not a big deal. Thanks for your help. The issue did seem to be the old homeseer skill. I did not realize it was updated.
        Glad you got this working. It's unfortunate that Amazon changed this on a Friday but Rich got on it quickly so it "should" be more stable in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
          It looks like you were using our old V1 skill that used the original Amazon API. We updated to the new API a while ago and I guess they kept the old skill working even though you cannot enable it from the skills store. To fix make sure you install the "HomeSeer SmartHome" skill as this is the latest and will support more devices.
          This did it for me. I hadn’t checked to see if there were any new skills since it had been working perfectly for me for so long. Downside is I had to delete all the old devices in the Alexa app and rename all the new discovered devices. I also had to rebuild my routines as well to include the newly discovered devices to replace the ones I had to delete. It all seems to work now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

So what happens to all of your various Echo devices if you do a "Forget All"? Does it re-find them without any problems the next time you do a discover? I just individually "forgot" all of my homeseer controlled devices, then when I did a rediscover it found everything I had marked as "voice command", which is exactly what I want. So that's good that it's all finally working.

The only problem I'm having with some devices, which is probably Amazon's fault, is that I have to rename some of them. For example, I have a lamp in the living room. It gets discovered as "Main Floor Living Room Lamp". I also have an Echo that is called "Living Room". If I ask "Alexa, turn on the lamp", she says "Living room doesn't support that". If I say "Alexa, turn on the main floor living room lamp" then it works. So the connection is there and working, but Alexa is misunderstanding what I'm asking for. I renamed the device to "Living Room Lamp" (removing the "Main Floor" part) and now it works with the shorter phrase. Not sure if there's anything I can do about that from the HomeSeer side or if those all have to be adjusted on the Alexa side.

Comment

Originally posted by PilotC150 View Post
              So what happens to all of your various Echo devices if you do a "Forget All"? Does it re-find them without any problems the next time you do a discover? I just individually "forgot" all of my homeseer controlled devices, then when I did a rediscover it found everything I had marked as "voice command", which is exactly what I want. So that's good that it's all finally working.

The only problem I'm having with some devices, which is probably Amazon's fault, is that I have to rename some of them. For example, I have a lamp in the living room. It gets discovered as "Main Floor Living Room Lamp". I also have an Echo that is called "Living Room". If I ask "Alexa, turn on the lamp", she says "Living room doesn't support that". If I say "Alexa, turn on the main floor living room lamp" then it works. So the connection is there and working, but Alexa is misunderstanding what I'm asking for. I renamed the device to "Living Room Lamp" (removing the "Main Floor" part) and now it works with the shorter phrase. Not sure if there's anything I can do about that from the HomeSeer side or if those all have to be adjusted on the Alexa side.
              This is where HS3 voice commands come into play. Add a voice command to the "Main Floor Living Room Lamp" and name it "Living Room Lamp"

Comment

This is still broken for me. It had been working for years. I have tried all of the various suggestions in this thread, ending with disabling all the skills, disabling voice for all my devices, forgetting all the devices in Alexa, re-enabling the HomeSeer SmartHome skill, turning ovice on for ONE light, and re-running device discovery.

Current status:
                HomeSeer SmartHome skill (the new one) is enabled and linked
                Alexa sees no devices from Homeseer.
                Whenever this starts working again, I have a ton of setup work to re-do.

Comment

Investigating further, it seems that Alexa is aware of my scenes, but not my devices.

Comment

I had the same problem for several days but I was finally able to go to the amazon Alexa skill page and reinstall the app. Now the only problem is that instead of saying "Alexa, turn on the den light" I have to say "Alexa, turn on the first floor den light" and use the first floor with any light command.

Comment

I fixed the problem of Alexa now requiring me to say the floor name by going into Homeseer and setting the floor field to blank, then forgetting all devices and rediscovering them. Of course, I don't have a second floor or basement so its no problem for me.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeTroxell View Post
                        I fixed the problem of Alexa now requiring me to say the floor name by going into Homeseer and setting the floor field to blank, then forgetting all devices and rediscovering them. Of course, I don't have a second floor or basement so its no problem for me.
                        You didn't need to delete your floor you could simply enter a "Voice Command" to you device and call it what you like.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post

You didn't need to delete your floor you could simply enter a "Voice Command" to you device and call it what you like.
                          Thank you so much for this simple explanation... I've been using Homeseer for about 5 years now and using Echo's since they came out and SOMEHOW missed this lol. It wasn't until things stopped working with their simple names that I looked closer and found this. Much appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by Inshakoor View Post

Thank you so much for this simple explanation... I've been using Homeseer for about 5 years now and using Echo's since they came out and SOMEHOW missed this lol. It wasn't until things stopped working with their simple names that I looked closer and found this. Much appreciated!
                            You're welcome.

Comment

... Oddly it did rename all the devices in the discovery process. It gave the room and floor prior to each device. I don't think I can edit them within the Alexa page...
                              Actually, you can edit the name of your device. Thank goodness because a complete name of my device for example is "L/G - Node 5 Reloading Bench Lamp" and Alexa did not accept the shortened name right after my re-discovery.

Although editing the name of all my voice-enabled devices was easIER on my iPad and bluetooth keyboard, I still found it cumbersome compared to before where I just had to "forget all devices" and "discover all devices." Also, I didn't have to tick the Voice command option of the device before for Alexa to discover it. Surprisingly, e-mail support told me that that had been the procedure ever since. Huh?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeTroxell View Post
                                I had the same problem for several days but I was finally able to go to the amazon Alexa skill page and reinstall the app. Now the only problem is that instead of saying "Alexa, turn on the den light" I have to say "Alexa, turn on the first floor den light" and use the first floor with any light command.
                                You can actually edit the name of your devices in the Alexa app to a shorter one. However, if you have 2 or more devices with the same name (e.g. lamp), then you would have to differentiate the devices using the room. If you have 2 or more devices with the same name and room, you would have to differentiate them by using the floor (which is most likely the complete name already in HomeSeer).

Comment

Working...
                                X