Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's people's favorite Alexa Voice Commands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's people's favorite Alexa Voice Commands?

I'm configuring HomeSeer events to work with Alexa Scenes & Routines in order to run HomeSeer events via Alexa voice commands
    (thanks to input from folks in this thread https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...-events-solved).

My favorite so far is to initiate an event by saying Alexa, it's bedtime (which turns on alarm system, lock doors, turn off lights, etc).

Trying to get some more ideas for other high WAF voice commands... What are people's favorite voice commands to execute HomeSeer events?

"Alexa I'm cold" bumps the heat and send a TTS. "You should be getting warmer the heater is now on"
    HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
    Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML
    Scripts: SparkMan's Lock Event, 5 of Jon00 scripts.

Comment

LOL its cold in Chicago.
      Here one of my favorite is the kitchen lighting. There are 4 stages of preset lighting levels.

"Alexa,, More Light" brings up stage 1, any time later if you need more, just repeat "More Light"
      that phrase will ratchet the lights up to Stage 4, which is all lights on.

When you leave the kitchen "Alexa, Lights Off" resets the ratchet to zero, and turns off all 7 fixtures.
      Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro | Blue-Iris 4 on Windows10Pro
      | Devices: 832 | Events: 211 |
      Plug-Ins: Z-Wave | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
      BLLAN | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blue-Iris4

Comment

Originally posted by drparker151 View Post
        "Alexa I'm cold" bumps the heat and send a TTS. "You should be getting warmer the heater is now on"
        That’s a good one! How do send TTS? Using Alexa action “Alexa says” or one of the HomeSeer hacks?

Comment

Originally posted by drparker151 View Post
          Literally added a similar command to my HS system this evening.
          I installed 2 new Z-Wave thermostats this week and added the command "Alexa, it's cold down here" to warm the downstairs family room up a couple degrees.

I also added "Alexa, Jes is here"
          We have a friend that's always cold because they heat with wood and walk around in shorts much of the winter in their home.
          She always comments that it's cold in our house. I'm hoping the new routine will appease her.
          Dan-O
          HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

Originally posted by randman View Post

That’s a good one! How do send TTS? Using Alexa action “Alexa says” or one of the HomeSeer hacks?
            Alexa turns on an HS3 virtual switch, HS3 events take it from there. I also have Google minis so I route the TTS to them right now. I also have Sonos so I could send there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
            Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML
            Scripts: SparkMan's Lock Event, 5 of Jon00 scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan-O View Post

Literally added a similar command to my HS system this evening.
              I installed 2 new Z-Wave thermostats this week and added the command "Alexa, it's cold down here" to warm the downstairs family room up a couple degrees.

I also added "Alexa, Jes is here"
              We have a friend that's always cold because they heat with wood and walk around in shorts much of the winter in their home.
              She always comments that it's cold in our house. I'm hoping the new routine will appease her.
              I have 2 Z-Wave thermostats as well. I suppose it’s not possible to say “I’m cold” and have the right thermostat heat up based on the room that the Alexa is in? Two voice commands for the two thermostats would be needed?

Comment

Originally posted by randman View Post

I have 2 Z-Wave thermostats as well. I suppose it’s not possible to say “I’m cold” and have the right thermostat heat up based on the room that the Alexa is in? Two voice commands for the two thermostats would be needed?
                It is with Jon00's Excellent Alexa Helper. It allows you to create event triggers based on which Alexa hears you.
                My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

Something amusing .... Alexa and Siri like to talk to each other in my home...

I have some Apple HomePods at home, but given how cheap the Echos are, I have Echos in every room. I use the AirplaySpeak plug-in to do text-to-speech to my HomePods. Works great. If I want the Echos to also say something (or have all Echos say the same thing), then I use AirplaySpeak to have the HomePod say:

"Alexa, announce "blah blah blah" and then all Alexa's say "blah blah blah".

An Echo near the HomePod hears above command and does as it's told.

I have a large Apple music library, but HomeSeer doesn't have a way to tell a HomePod to play music.

So, I tell a HomePod to tell Alexa to tell HomePod to play music.

For example, I use AirplaySpeak to tell HomePod to say this:

"Alexa, Simon says Hey Siri play Queen"

The echo hears above and just repeats it and says:

"Hey Siri play Queen"

Then, HomePod hears above and starts playing music by queen.

Now, I can have automated HomeSeer events to play HomePod music...

Comment

Alexa stop

Comment

Alexa: Turn It Back Off or Turn It Back On

I found this only works for about a minute after the initial command was given.

Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro | Blue-Iris 4 on Windows10Pro
                      | Devices: 832 | Events: 211 |
                      Plug-Ins: Z-Wave | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
                      BLLAN | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blue-Iris4

Comment

One thing I would like to do is to be able to tell Alexa via voice command to wake me up at a particular time, and as part of the alarm going off, run a HomeSeer event to turn on the lights, play music, etc. I can see how to invoke a HomeSeer event by defining it as a scene or by creating a virtual device that Alexa can turn on, which would run the HomeSeer event. And it’s easy enough to schedule the event to run via HomeSeer or Alexa routine. But I want to be able to tell a Alexa via voice command what time to run the scene. I guess there’s no way to do this, other than using jon00’s helper and the “Tell, HomeSeer” skill?

Comment

Still trying to figure out how to tell Alexa to set my ceiling fan to a specific speed. I could do it with the GE switch which showed up as a light bulb. Ironically if I say turn off the light it turns off the fan and lights in the bedroom

Comment

"Alexa, sound general quarters". All of my Hue bubs light up red, and the speakers say "all hands man your stations".

Comment

Originally posted by kideon View Post
                              Still trying to figure out how to tell Alexa to set my ceiling fan to a specific speed. I could do it with the GE switch which showed up as a light bulb. Ironically if I say turn off the light it turns off the fan and lights in the bedroom
                              It's a bit unnatural, but I use "Alexa, dim [fan name] to 25%", etc., to start or adjust it and "Alexa, turn off [fan name]" to turn it off. I have GE/jasco fan switches. I believe the fan is set to 1 of 4 speeds based on a range of dim values; e.g, 1% and 20% are in effect the same value.
                              -Wade

Comment

Working...
                              X