Alexa cannot find any devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Timon View Post
    Well is my face is red! It's something I saw before and reported it but ending up forgetting that I did. It's something that you should try if having this problem. Look through the scenes that haven't loaded into alexa and disable them one by one. As soon as you find the one that's failing then make a copy and delete the old one. It should now load.

What seems to be happening is that scenes are getting corrupted in some way that you can't see when you open the scene but if you make a copy and delete the old it fixes the problem.
    I reported something like this recently, although copying the event and renaming it didn't work. Had to recreate from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post

I reported something like this recently, although copying the event and renaming it didn't work. Had to recreate from scratch.
      Interesting that. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Does anyone know if a device discovery attempt should be showing in the HS log? As of now I have all but 3 new devices, 1 renamed device (forgotten then never rediscovered), and 1 new event missing. I've tried unlinking and re-linking the skill. I've tried disabling the new devices and re-adding one by one - no luck. I have no desire to forget all and gamble with another several hours of my life hoping to get everything re-added. Is anyone having issues with discovery currently? I was able to discover new devices as recent as Friday with no issue.

Comment

Originally posted by NET1 View Post
          Does anyone know if a device discovery attempt should be showing in the HS log? As of now I have all but 3 new devices, 1 renamed device (forgotten then never rediscovered), and 1 new event missing. I've tried unlinking and re-linking the skill. I've tried disabling the new devices and re-adding one by one - no luck. I have no desire to forget all and gamble with another several hours of my life hoping to get everything re-added. Is anyone having issues with discovery currently? I was able to discover new devices as recent as Friday with no issue.
          Well. I've disabled voice on all, disconnected, and reconnected. Adding one device back at a time followed by a discovery each time. This is tedious.

However, I think I've figured out part of the issue. It seems that the Alexa integration does not like scenes that have been duplicated from other scenes. For example I have a scene that kills all of the lights, sends a notification, locks the doors, etc. Then I have a duplicate of that scene with a different name that only shuts all of the lights off. As soon as I enable the second one it refuses to pick it up through discovery. Not only that, but it prevents devices from being picked up as well. Disable voice on the duplicate scene and everything goes back to normal. Strange behavior.

Edit: Just recreated one of the duplicate scenes from scratch and enabled voice. Added with no issues.

Comment

Well. I've disabled voice on all, disconnected, and reconnected. Adding one device back at a time followed by a discovery each time. This is tedious.

However, I think I've figured out part of the issue. It seems that the Alexa integration does not like scenes that have been duplicated from other scenes. For example I have a scene that kills all of the lights, sends a notification, locks the doors, etc. Then I have a duplicate of that scene with a different name that only shuts all of the lights off. As soon as I enable the second one it refuses to pick it up through discovery. Not only that, but it prevents devices from being picked up as well. Disable voice on the duplicate scene and everything goes back to normal. Strange behavior.

Edit: Just recreated one of the duplicate scenes from scratch and enabled voice. Added with no issues.
            When you say duplicate event what exactly do you mean? Did you select an event and copy it?
            -Rupp
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post

When you say duplicate event what exactly do you mean? Did you select an event and copy it?
              Yes. Took the original event - duplicated to use as template. Had a goodnight event that turned lights off, sent notifications, and locked doors. Cloned the event, changed the name, removed door commands and notifications leaving just the light controls. Alexa wanted nothing to do with the new event. Similar situation - copied and pasted a template for a standard event (if X is turned on wait 10 minutes and turn it off). Same result. Deleted the events and built new ones from scratch - events were discovered by Alexa no problem. Whatever error this was causing behind the scenes seemed to be preventing device discovery as well. After I cleared up the event discovery then device discovery became responsive again (adding one at a time).

Comment

Yes. Took the original event - duplicated to use as template. Had a goodnight event that turned lights off, sent notifications, and locked doors. Cloned the event, changed the name, removed door commands and notifications leaving just the light controls. Alexa wanted nothing to do with the new event. Similar situation - copied and pasted a template for a standard event (if X is turned on wait 10 minutes and turn it off). Same result. Deleted the events and built new ones from scratch - events were discovered by Alexa no problem. Whatever error this was causing behind the scenes seemed to be preventing device discovery as well. After I cleared up the event discovery then device discovery became responsive again (adding one at a time).
                I can't get Alexa to discover any HS events. Only devices. I use virtual devices to trigger HS events as a workaround (recommended on this board).

Comment

Working...
                X